GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > Entertainment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Entertainment TV, movies, music, books, sports, radio...

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,428
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, baangelasteaxdy
» Online Users: 2,536
3 members and 2,533 guests
John, LaneSig, navane

Old 12-19-2001, 01:29 AM

Thumbs up Lord of the Rings: go see it

For anyone who's read the book or those that haven't, you should really check out this movie. THe fellowship of the ring was stellar, very well done...my buddy talked me into seeing it and even though i gotta work in 5 1/2 hours it was worth it....ah man, one thing's for sure, the engineering faculty was out in full force, nerds-a-plenty.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 12-19-2001, 01:54 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to DeltaBetaBaby
Did you go to one of the 12:01 showings??? I bought advance tickets to see it Wednesday night.
Old 12-19-2001, 06:13 AM

I saw the advance viewing at 10:00 p.m., movie was about 3 hours.
Old 12-19-2001, 11:54 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to LeslieAGD
My Boyfriend and I went to see the movie at the 12:01am advance showing. I've never read the books and I thought it was pretty interesting anyway. He's a big fan and he thought it was pretty good too, but he kept saying "it didn't happen like that in the book!" When the ending came, I was like "that's it?"...but, of course, it's a trilogy and now I don't get to know what happens for another year.
Old 12-19-2001, 06:08 PM

...well it's been a lonnngg time since i read the book, like 8-9 years so i'm not as familiar with it as your bf may be. But as i remember, i felt it was almost the same, keep in mind that books always get changed a little when the movies come out. Wha... there were some hardcore fans there though who probably got all mad when some details were changed,
"WHAT!@ Gandalf doesn't do that!"

If i see it again i'm doing the Farley-Cheer at the end..."WHOOO Wheeeee....Yeeaaaaaaahhhhhh Frodo, whooooo"
(of course arms will be pumping)
Old 12-19-2001, 06:15 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via ICQ to James Send a message via AIM to James
I read the books like ten times in 6 th grade so I am looking forward to the movie . . . (I even have the 6th grade library books still).
Old 12-26-2001, 09:29 PM

Unhappy I actually didn't like it that much.

Oh well....to each, their own.

I did however, enjoy seeing Orlando Bloom in it!

http://orlandobloom.tripod.com/desktop.jpg

Last edited by CutiePie2000; 12-26-2001 at 10:03 PM.
Old 12-26-2001, 09:57 PM

..hmmm well it's not really a movie for chicks, who's orlando bloom? that link doesn't seem to go anywhere...
Old 12-26-2001, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Lil_G
who's orlando bloom?
He's the blonde cute Elf-Archer guy.....
Old 12-26-2001, 11:47 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
..hmmm well it's not really a movie for chicks, who's orlando bloom? that link doesn't seem to go anywhere...
i'm a chick though and i thoroughly enjoyed the movie! a note for the girls . . . it may not be a 'chick flick' but there are some pretty cute guys in this movie! well worth the money
Old 12-27-2001, 06:25 AM

..ah man, don't tell ppl to go see it because there's "cute guys in it"...it is violent, more so than I thought it would be
Old 12-27-2001, 12:51 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via ICQ to James Send a message via AIM to James
There were definitely some changed parts in the movie. They cut out some large but not vital sectins of the story that were cool in the book but would have dragged the movie. Keep in mind the first book in the trilogy approaches 700 + pages I believe.

Arwen being super-elven-girl-warrior was a bit of a surprise. She replaces a scene that in the book was fuilled by an elf-lord. I heard that the miramax version of the screenplay had more fight scenes with Arwen. In the book Arwen is barely shown and is just some beautiful elven-lady that Aragorn loves. We'll probably see her more in the later books as a fighter. Maybe she'll take over Eowyn's, the white lady of Rohan's, scenes in the Two-Towers and the Return of The King.

But overall the pacing of the movie was good, they managed to cut out a lot of chapters in the book, ut still maintain the central story idea.

What I am really curious to know, is whether people that have never read or heard much about the book hav a clue what is going on? It was easy for me because I could recite the lines with the movie. So those of you that have been Tolkien less, tell us what you think the story ws about.

The DVD version is supposed to be super cool because it has an entire R-rated version on it and 6 hours of footage.

I am just jealus that someone got to make that movie other than me . . I would have loved to make that movie.
Old 12-27-2001, 02:41 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
..ah man, don't tell ppl to go see it because there's "cute guys in it"...it is violent, more so than I thought it would be
i'm sorry if you misinterpreted what i intended to say. i did not intend to give the impression that one should see the movie BECAUSE of the presence of cute guys. the movie was excellent on it's own merit, the presence of characters that were not hard on the eyes was just another benfit ;o)

also, the movie was somewhat violent but i didn't feel that it was that bad. it was only rated at pg13 i believe? (feel free to correct me on this) and could have been much worse. the violence that was in the movie i believe helped to set the scene and the plot of the movie and was all acceptable in the context it was presented. i for one did not detect any unnecessary and over gratitutous violence in this movie.

all in all, this movie rocked!
Old 12-27-2001, 02:52 PM

yeah, well what i meant to say was that there wasn't as much action in the first book if i recall...I remember most of the fight scenes came later on in the book as the fellowship of the ring set the tone for what was to come next. Yes, they did cut some things out - i hope to hell those talking trees make their appearance, i'll be pissed if they don't...
Old 12-28-2001, 09:29 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to LeslieAGD
Quote:
Not to be a "stereotypical chick" here, but that blonde elf archer was worth seeing the movie for!!! Every single one of my girlfriends has said so! But yes, the movie does have merit on it's own. However, the Orks were very disgusting...they looked like pieces of poop that came out of an overflowed toilet. Gross!