GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,456
Threads: 115,511
Welcome to our newest member, zatylerahvso465

Old 12-02-2009, 09:12 PM
GreekChat Member

Question About Recs

Hey GC! I'm a freshman at an SEC school planning to participate in formal recruitment next Fall, as a sophomore. I went through recruitment last fall but was released before prefs. I've gotten involved in several organizations and have even secured an internship for next semester, but I still feel in my heart that I belong in a sorority, although I know it will not be the end of the world if I once again don't receive a bid.

I only got a handful of recs this past fall, and I now know they are SUPER important at my school so I definitely want to get one for each sorority this time around. When should I begin contacting alums about recs? I don't want to send them before the sororities are ready to start dealing with them. Any advice would also be welcome!
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 12-02-2009, 09:25 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PNM_fashionista View Post
Hey GC! I'm a freshman at an SEC school planning to participate in formal recruitment next Fall, as a sophomore. I went through recruitment last fall but was released before prefs. I've gotten involved in several organizations and have even secured an internship for next semester, but I still feel in my heart that I belong in a sorority, although I know it will not be the end of the world if I once again don't receive a bid.

I only got a handful of recs this past fall, and I now know they are SUPER important at my school so I definitely want to get one for each sorority this time around. When should I begin contacting alums about recs? I don't want to send them before the sororities are ready to start dealing with them. Any advice would also be welcome!
I would send them in at least 2 months prior to recruitment. So if your SEC school has recruitment in early August I would send them in May. Good luck!
Old 12-02-2009, 10:58 PM
GreekChat Member

Thanks so much!
Old 12-03-2009, 07:50 AM
Super Moderator

fashionista, you might keep an eye open for npc alumnae chapters which might hold recruitment information sessions in the new year, either in your hometown or in the town in which your college is located.

this might hook you up with alums. of sororities you did not have recs. for last fall. you've gotten involved on campus and scheduled an internship, and while those things are great,being a sophomore will be a strike against you, so maximize your options with recs. to every single sorority on campus.
Old 12-07-2009, 01:54 PM
GreekChat Member

Thanks for the advice FSUZeta. I checked and my local NPC alumnae chapter is hosting an event for PNMs in March.

Another question: Would it be appropriate to ask friends or acquaintances in sororities who are graduating in May to write recs for me? They count as alumnae, correct?
Old 12-07-2009, 02:45 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Thanks for the advice FSUZeta. I checked and my local NPC alumnae chapter is hosting an event for PNMs in March.

Another question: Would it be appropriate to ask friends or acquaintances in sororities who are graduating in May to write recs for me? They count as alumnae, correct?
You are correct, and it may mean more to the groups to see a name that they know vouching for you.

AOII

One Motto, One Badge, One Bond and Singleness of Heart!

Old 12-07-2009, 04:35 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:

Girls I know asked me to write recs for them and it was slighly uncomfortable. I liked them, but I couldn't see them in my sorority. I would be careful.
Old 12-07-2009, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennyj87 View Post
Girls I know asked me to write recs for them and it was slighly uncomfortable. I liked them, but I couldn't see them in my sorority. I would be careful.
Were you writing them for someone rushing your chapter of initiation?
Old 12-08-2009, 12:51 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post
Were you writing them for someone rushing your chapter of initiation?
huh? If i think i'm reading your question right, yes it was for my chapter that I am a current member of.
Old 12-08-2009, 12:43 PM

I was going to say, if you were writing them for someone rushing at another school, just because they don't fit in with your chapter doesn't mean the sisters at XYZ State wouldn't love them. But in your situation, yeah I see your point totally.
Old 12-08-2009, 04:40 PM
GreekChat Member

You might want to write one anyway, and either leave it unsigned (pointing that out, of course) or sign it as a "no" rec. Worst thing would be to have objections to the person...send no rec...and see them pledged to your chapter.