GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Risk Management - Hazing & etc.

Risk Management - Hazing & etc. This forum covers Risk Management topics such as: Hazing, Alcohol Abuse/Awareness, Date Rape Awareness, Eating Disorder Prevention, Liability, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,123
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, zsamulpitt5293
» Online Users: 1,189
0 members and 1,189 guests
No Members online

Old 10-16-2019, 06:33 PM
GreekChat Member

U Albany Greek Life

I was going to post this in the colonies/closure thread but this may require it own thread.

https://www.timesunion.com/news/arti...photo-17224864

So with the bump in hazing incidents at the school and other SUNYs nearby, the school is going to hold a special open forum to discuss the future of greek life at the school. A final decision regarding greek life going forward will be made no later than December 1st.

https://www.albany.edu/news/92540.php

Since 1888

If I can get a bid so can you; a longer recruitment story

Last edited by Cookiez17; 10-16-2019 at 06:34 PM. Reason: Adding article details
Old 10-16-2019, 09:06 PM

Maybe the school needs to take a second look at the kind of students they admit.
Old 10-16-2019, 09:23 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post
Maybe the school needs to take a second look at the kind of students they admit.
The problem is they can't control what'll happen to who they admit. Someone could have a stellar GPA and such, get admitted, then go into a greek org and haze underclassmen.

What I do feel bad for are the orgs who have never hazed ever and are getting disciplined due to some bad eggs.

Since 1888

Old 10-16-2019, 09:36 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cookiez17 View Post
I was going to post this in the colonies/closure thread but this may require it own thread.

https://www.timesunion.com/news/arti...photo-17224864

So with the bump in hazing incidents at the school and other SUNYs nearby, the school is going to hold a special open forum to discuss the future of greek life at the school. A final decision regarding greek life going forward will be made no later than December 1st.

https://www.albany.edu/news/92540.php
I just viewed the suspensions/closures on their GL website. There's only 1 NPC sorority and 1 NIC fraternity in good standing. The remaining are on suspension or have been closed.

Last edited by PKT4LIFE; 10-16-2019 at 09:37 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 10-17-2019, 05:14 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PKT4LIFE View Post
I just viewed the suspensions/closures on their GL website. There's only 1 NPC sorority and 1 NIC fraternity in good standing. The remaining are on suspension or have been closed.
https://www.albany.edu/involvement/fraternities.shtml (TEPhi)
and
https://www.albany.edu/involvement/sororities.shtml (DPhiE)

However, NIC and NPC don't appear to be the center of Greek Life at SUNY-Albany regardless of whether groups are on probation or not.

I *think* from my count that both NALFO and NPHC groups outnumber NIC and NPC groups (and even if NIC and NPC were combined)
Old 10-17-2019, 10:50 AM
Super Moderator

It's a public school. Does it irk anyone else that the school thinks it gets to determine the future of Greek Life? They can work with FSL groups as partners. The school cannot deny these groups' right to exist.
Mu Tau 5, Central Oklahoma
Old 10-17-2019, 02:59 PM
GreekChat Member

https://www.instagram.com/p/B3uYrRmhefB/

Small update but they're accepting submissions (I suppose both positive and negative) directly to that council. I didn't mention this in the OP but as more news comes out I'll keep this thread updated.

Since 1888

Old 03-11-2021, 02:07 PM
GreekChat Member

I know this is an older thread but the report was released. The goal is not to completely ban greek life from campus, but an overall plan to look at the different parts of Greek life and allow more programs to help members be safer. Heck, they might even want to bring more on in the future if everything works out to minimize the underground orgs that are there. Here is the full report.

https://www.albany.edu/studentaffair...ember_2020.pdf

Since 1888

Last edited by Cookiez17; 03-11-2021 at 07:05 PM.
Old 03-13-2021, 01:47 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
It's a public school. Does it irk anyone else that the school thinks it gets to determine the future of Greek Life? They can work with FSL groups as partners. The school cannot deny these groups' right to exist.
They don't have to recognize them as student organizations. As soon as they do recognize them, aren't they then somewhat liable for what occurs? Whereas, if a group of students are part of an organization that isn't a recognized student organization, the college/university has no jurisdiction over them and aren't liable?
Old 04-27-2021, 03:29 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to JonInKC
Quote:
Originally Posted by AGDee View Post
They don't have to recognize them as student organizations. As soon as they do recognize them, aren't they then somewhat liable for what occurs? Whereas, if a group of students are part of an organization that isn't a recognized student organization, the college/university has no jurisdiction over them and aren't liable?

My alma mater had a fall enrollment of over 24,000 last year. How is the university expected to police all those students? Is the university liable for what members of the football team do? What about the band? Members of the Sierra club? I'm not trying to be a smartass, I honestly don't know.

p a w e a since 1899
Old 04-28-2021, 09:09 AM

Quote:
This is what the dumbass GL director did at Plymouth State - refused to recognize certain groups - and there were terrible consequences. In for a buck, in for a quarter.
Old 04-28-2021, 01:50 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Is the university liable for what members of the football team do? What about the band? Members of the Sierra club? I'm not trying to be a smartass, I honestly don't know.
I don't know about the Sierra Club, but if an official, school-sanctioned group like the football team or the band hazes and hurts someone, yes, the university has risk exposure.
Old 04-28-2021, 09:24 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Finding the school liable for the conduct of students at non-school activities is an uphill climb. And one could always argue that their failure to recognize and regulate these organizations is a breach in and of itself. I don't know whether that argument works because I'm not researching New York tort law tonight.
Old 04-28-2021, 09:26 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Low D Flat View Post
I don't know about the Sierra Club, but if an official, school-sanctioned group like the football team or the band hazes and hurts someone, yes, the university has risk exposure.
I would distinguish the band and the football team from the Sierra Club because the band and football team are institutions of the school and employees of the school are in charge. The Sierra Club maybe meets in the student union and holds events on campus, but they likely have some faculty sponsor who signs off on whatever they want to do without giving things a second thought.