GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,428
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, baangelasteaxdy
» Online Users: 2,410
1 members and 2,409 guests
PGD-GRAD

Old 08-28-2006, 09:37 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to PKPILZ003 Send a message via Yahoo to PKPILZ003
congrats on that - and I hope that they become a strong healthy chapter
[B]"Let us be who we say we are...a FRATERNITY, not a club; run by MEN, not boys; and based on IDEALS, not expediency."[/B]
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 02-15-2007, 08:45 AM
GreekChat Member

Our colony is actually 100% black. Brobuzz, u got jokes, kudos buzz. Interestingly enough we've gone international with it. Lots of us have graduated, but we are recruiting and still constitute a growing group of intelligent young brothers on campus. We're pushing for a charter soon. Wish us luck.
Old 02-15-2007, 09:25 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IIKA@HowardU View Post
Our colony is actually 100% black. Brobuzz, u got jokes, kudos buzz. Interestingly enough we've gone international with it. Lots of us have graduated, but we are recruiting and still constitute a growing group of intelligent young brothers on campus. We're pushing for a charter soon. Wish us luck.

May I ask a serious question that I have wondered since the news of this colony has been widespread? On a campus such as Howard that is so rich in the history of BGLOs, why do you feel it necessary to bring a predom Caucasian organization? What made Pikes appeal to you on a level that NONE of the HBGLOs at a HBCU could?
Old 02-15-2007, 10:35 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSTdimepiece View Post
May I ask a serious question that I have wondered since the news of this colony has been widespread? On a campus such as Howard that is so rich in the history of BGLOs, why do you feel it necessary to bring a predom Caucasian organization? What made Pikes appeal to you on a level that NONE of the HBGLOs at a HBCU could?
As a follow up to this question, I will just say that from the outset, I was surprised that Pike in particular was chosen. Knowing how much Howard students love to "do their research" I would have assumed that a fraternity with more "non-sectarian" roots may have been chosen, such as Pi Lambda Phi.
Old 02-15-2007, 10:46 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senusret I View Post
As a follow up to this question, I will just say that from the outset, I was surprised that Pike in particular was chosen. Knowing how much Howard students love to "do their research" I would have assumed that a fraternity with more "non-sectarian" roots may have been chosen, such as Pi Lambda Phi.
TKE might have been a good choice as well, being that they were the first fraternity with a non-discrimination clause.
Old 02-15-2007, 02:20 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaFrog View Post
TKE might have been a good choice as well, being that they were the first fraternity with a non-discrimination clause.
I have to disagree with you on that one considering Ronald Regan was a member of TKE. He's not exactly popular with the black folks. For some reason, I thought Delta Upsilon being a non-hazing, non-secetive org might have been a choice.
Old 02-15-2007, 02:52 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NinjaPoodle View Post
I have to disagree with you on that one considering Ronald Regan was a member of TKE.
You can't judge the largest (well, most members) NIC men's Fraternity based on ONE member.

That would be like me telling a girl they shouldn't join SGRho because they don't like Hattie McDaniel.
Old 02-15-2007, 02:56 PM
GreekChat Member

Good to hear that The Pike Chapter is doing well at Howard as the LXA Chapter is at UNC A & T.

It is up to the young men to make a decission to either go with a BGLO, or look else where. They must have looked else where.

I beleive TKE was the first to Colonize on a HBC and LXA the second.

Does it feel any different than anyone going to a School and not finding any group that they feel comfortable with?

LX Z # 1
Alumni
Old 02-15-2007, 03:10 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
You can't judge the largest (well, most members) NIC men's Fraternity based on ONE member.

That would be like me telling a girl they shouldn't join SGRho because they don't like Hattie McDaniel.

Indeed.
Old 02-15-2007, 03:17 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Are you sure on that? I know this is a sidetrack, but my fiance's fraternity (Phi Kappa Sigma) claims to be the first as well. This is from their national website, explaining one of their public mottos:

"Brotherhood is more than skin deep."

In 1858, a proposal was introduced to the Fraternity that would have made Phi Kappa Sigma an all-white organization. The proposal was unanimously voted against, therefore making the Fraternity the first to be anti-discriminatory. Our Brothers choose men to become members based on the worth of their character, not superficialities like race, religion, or wealth.

I guess it may be that TKE was the first to repeal a discrimination clause, but PKS never had one to repeal?
Old 02-15-2007, 03:25 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSTRen13 View Post
I guess it may be that TKE was the first to repeal a discrimination clause, but PKS never had one to repeal?
I think it's more like they were the first one to HAVE the actual written clause.

PKS voting to not be all white is not the same has actually being non-discriminatory.

I can't think of the words to describe it, but it's like TKE took the affirmative to come right out and state that they wouldn't discriminate blacks, and PKS took the negative, as in we're not officially all white by process of elimination.

ETA: My friend, who is a TKE from Drake, said that the "If you can't go Greek, go TKE", was actually started by the fraternity itself as a campain to Blacks who couldn't join other "white GLOs".

Last edited by AlphaFrog; 02-15-2007 at 03:27 PM.
Old 02-15-2007, 03:38 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
PKS voting to not be all white is not the same has actually being non-discriminatory.

I can't think of the words to describe it, but it's like TKE took the affirmative to come right out and state that they wouldn't discriminate blacks, and PKS took the negative, as in we're not officially all white by process of elimination.
Not exactly, I don't think, at least not as described on the History page at Phi Kappa Sigma's website:

According to the first Constitution, Alpha Chapter was authorized to issue charters to new chapters. At the First Phi Kappa Sigma Convention of 1856, the Constitution was amended to require the unanimous approval of all existing chapters in order to establish a new chapter. The development of the abolition movement in the North and the arguments over secession in the South made it impossible for the Fraternity to grant charters to many fine groups located in colleges in the North and particularly in New England. This fact retarded the growth and development of the Fraternity above the Mason-Dixon Line. Theta Chapter at Centenary College, circulated a petition among the southern chapters, asking for an amendment to the Constitution providing that the Fraternity "be an organization for white men, and for white men only." It was further requested that the attitude of the northern brothers on the slavery question be ascertained and all chapters be informed. Mu Chapter, at the old University of Louisiana, presented the problem before the Convention of 1860. After three days of sincere debate, the chapters of the Fraternity unanimously voted that no discriminatory clauses should be included in the Constitution of the Fraternity. This Phi Kappa Sigma policy from 1860 has never been modified in any way.

I take this as a pretty affirmative decision not to discriminate, at least officially. I cannot speak to whether or how much this policy was ignored by chapters over time. But the same could be said with regard to chapters of fraternities that officially removed discrimination clauses -- just because the clauses were removed nationally doesn't mean the practice immediately changed everywhere.
Old 02-15-2007, 04:59 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Earp View Post
Good to hear that The Pike Chapter is doing well at Howard as the LXA Chapter is at UNC A & T.

It is up to the young men to make a decission to either go with a BGLO, or look else where. They must have looked else where.

I beleive TKE was the first to Colonize on a HBC and LXA the second.

Does it feel any different than anyone going to a School and not finding any group that they feel comfortable with?

Yes to that last question because you can transfer schools, not your affilation. I would pose the same question to the LXA chapter at NC A&T that I did to the people at the Pike colony.
Old 02-16-2007, 11:44 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSTdimepiece View Post
I would pose the same question to the LXA chapter at NC A&T that I did to the people at the Pike colony.
Sidebar:
No one pays the LXAs at A&T any attention. I have never seen then representing or anything. LOL.
Old 02-16-2007, 01:31 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:

Obvious point and I completely agree however that doesn't change how people feel. I personally know people (black & other races) who would not join simply because of a particular member. You and I both know that's not smart but I don't tell people how to feel, I just give them the facts and let them decide for themselves. That's all you can do. Any person who does this probably shouldn't be in the org anyway.*shrug* Ya know?