GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Fraternity Recruitment

Fraternity Recruitment Recruitment event ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,124
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, znathanhulzeo24
» Online Users: 1,523
1 members and 1,522 guests
naraht

Old 12-14-2013, 02:16 PM
GreekChat Member

Questions about UF Fraternities

Hey Greeks!

I'm actually a high school Junior, but I'm double legacy for the University of Florida, and with pre-paid tuition and a Bright Futures Scholarship, I think that's where I intend to go undergrad so that I can conserve funds for a top tier law school. I started looking into athletics at Florida, but to my dismay, the rowing team is a pretty weak club team without much relevance.

I hadn't really considered joining a fraternity in the past, but it seems like it might be a good way to get involved in campus life. I started doing some research on fraternities, which lead me here. I've been unable to gather much helpful information on what the different fraternities' communities are really like, so I thought I might as well ask.

I've read what the top tier fraternities are at UF, but that hasn't really been much help in choosing a fraternity to aim for.

What are the stereotypes of the top ten or so fraternities at UF? Are they accurate?

What sort of pledge class does each fraternity tend to bring in each year (Southern or SoFlo, Polite or Douchey, etc.)?

And I apologize for boring ya'll, but here's a bit about myself, and could anyone familiar with the UF fraternities make some suggestions about best fit, etc.?

I'm 6'0 flat, fairly athletic, my mother is from a somewhat aristocratic southern family from Alabama, but my father's family is from the Central Mediterranean, so I look a bit tan/European (I know there are some racial factors that go into the selection of pledge classes, so I thought that'd be relevant).

I'm well mannered, a solid conversationalist, and I do pretty well with the ladies at my school (though I'm not much for the hardcore snort-cocaine-and-party-and-have-sex-with-everyone scene). I dress well, probably best described as Southern prep (khakis or pastel colored shorts above the knee, with a polo or button down and moccasins), and take care of my appearance (though I make an effort not to go too far. While I don't really have an opinion on gay guys, not my style to be mistaken as one.).

I don't have much of a problem fitting into most groups, though I prefer not to hang with the basketball-shorts-and-snapbacks crowd or the hardcore-druggies. I live in Orlando, but I spend most of my holidays in Pensacola, FL or Mobile, AL , so I'm sort of awkwardly in between the two. I'm pretty relaxed about everything, though I've stayed in the top 5% of my highschool's class. That's about everything that might be relevant.

Sorry for the long read!

Last edited by Penumbrae; 12-14-2013 at 02:18 PM.
Old 12-14-2013, 02:29 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penumbrae View Post
Hey Greeks!

I'm actually a high school Junior, but I'm double legacy for the University of Florida, and with pre-paid tuition and a Bright Futures Scholarship, I think that's where I intend to go undergrad so that I can conserve funds for a top tier law school. I started looking into athletics at Florida, but to my dismay, the rowing team is a pretty weak club team without much relevance.

I hadn't really considered joining a fraternity in the past, but it seems like it might be a good way to get involved in campus life. I started doing some research on fraternities, which lead me here. I've been unable to gather much helpful information on what the different fraternities' communities are really like, so I thought I might as well ask.

I've read what the top tier fraternities are at UF, but that hasn't really been much help in choosing a fraternity to aim for.

What are the stereotypes of the top ten or so fraternities at UF? Are they accurate?

What sort of pledge class does each fraternity tend to bring in each year (Southern or SoFlo, Polite or Douchey, etc.)?

And I apologize for boring ya'll, but here's a bit about myself, and could anyone familiar with the UF fraternities make some suggestions about best fit, etc.?

I'm 6'0 flat, fairly athletic, my mother is from a somewhat aristocratic southern family from Alabama, but my father's family is from the Central Mediterranean, so I look a bit tan/European (I know there are some racial factors that go into the selection of pledge classes, so I thought that'd be relevant).

I'm well mannered, a solid conversationalist, and I do pretty well with the ladies at my school (though I'm not much for the hardcore snort-cocaine-and-party-and-have-sex-with-everyone scene). I dress well, probably best described as Southern prep (khakis or pastel colored shorts above the knee, with a polo or button down and moccasins), and take care of my appearance (though I make an effort not to go too far. While I don't really have an opinion on gay guys, not my style to be mistaken as one.).

I don't have much of a problem fitting into most groups, though I prefer not to hang with the basketball-shorts-and-snapbacks crowd or the hardcore-druggies. I live in Orlando, but I spend most of my holidays in Pensacola, FL or Mobile, AL , so I'm sort of awkwardly in between the two. I'm pretty relaxed about everything, though I've stayed in the top 5% of my highschool's class. That's about everything that might be relevant.

Sorry for the long read!
QFP
Old 12-14-2013, 04:44 PM
GreekChat Member

Dude, you are getting WAY ahead of yourself here and you seem to have swallowed every fraternity stereotype whole. The number one purpose of fraternity membership is friendship. You should, when the time comes, seek out the guys who seem like the best friends for you. And seriously, do you think any fraternity sets out to pledge douchy guys? "hey we're the douchy guys house, where are all the douches at?"

And second, here on GC we do not comment on reputations, tiers, status, etc. Because that IS douchy. Somehow I think you will find your douchy center as you check out the various UF fraternity chapters.
Old 12-14-2013, 05:32 PM
GreekChat Member

I am truly praying for this to be a troll....please don't be real! My mama's pearls won't stand up to that level of clutching!
Old 12-14-2013, 06:00 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubaiSis View Post
And seriously, do you think any fraternity sets out to pledge douchy guys? "hey we're the douchy guys house, where are all the douches at?"
Rolling in the *floor*...
Old 12-14-2013, 06:02 PM
Super Moderator

Being from Orlando, you should know plenty of guys in fraternities at UF. People usually end up joining groups that have similar ideals, tastes, and interests as themselves. Similarly you should probably know plenty of girls who are in sororities at UF. Either group could probably answer your questions and they should be home now
Old 12-15-2013, 08:46 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penumbrae View Post
I'm well mannered . . . .
Well-mannered people know better than to ask about stereotypes or most of the other things you asked about on a public forum, or to mention their "somewhat aristocratic southern family."

And the word is "y'all," not "ya'll."
Old 12-15-2013, 10:00 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticCat View Post
Well-mannered people know better than to ask about stereotypes or most of the other things you asked about on a public forum, or to mention their "somewhat aristocratic southern family."

And the word is "y'all," not "ya'll."
Not to mention that we do not have aristocracy. I mean, was his grandfather the Duke of Hoover or the Earl of Mongomery?
Old 12-15-2013, 08:04 PM
GreekChat Member

I should probably not add this but a double legacy at UF these days does not guarantee you acceptance to UF! There are plenty of articles about UF Alum not happy when their son or daughter are not accepted. My son graduated last year and daughter is a Junior so have seen it happen!