GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Recruitment General discussion about recruitment.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,429
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, Zae_TheCreator
» Online Users: 2,261
1 members and 2,260 guests
PGD-GRAD

Old 03-04-2015, 04:53 AM
GreekChat Member

Question about joining a colony this fall!

Hi, all! I just recently found out that Alpha Xi Delta will be colonizing at my school, Kennesaw State University, in fall 2015 and I just have a few questions since I am extremely interested in being a part of this new colony. I've always really admired Alpha Xi Delta's principles and philanthropy (my brother is on the autism spectrum so that hits really close to home for me), and I would love to be a part of such a strong organization.

I will be a senior this upcoming fall (graduating May 2016) and I've been very involved on my campus. I filled out the interest form on their website, which asked for my high school GPA/activities as well as my college GPA/activities. I was a strong student in high school with a 3.3 GPA and I was an honor graduate, member of marching/concert band, academic team, etc. As for college, I currently have a 3.0 GPA. In terms of my campus involvement, I've been a member of a national service sorority for three years, and I'm currently serving as president of my chapter. For my sorority, we're required to have 25 hours of service per semester so after this semester, I'll have over 100+ hours. I've also been involved with the French club on campus and the concert band for two years.

Just in case you're going to ask why I'm interested in joining this colony/new sorority (since I have been quite successful with my current one), it's primarily because I want to experience what Panhellenic has to offer, as well as use what I've learned within my time in my other sorority to help found a new chapter on campus. I absolutely love my service sorority but I'm looking to branch out and join a more nationally-recognized organization. (And just a note, my organization has no restrictions on being a part of a social organization as well).

I understand that colonies are looking for new members that will be able to help shape a new chapter on campus. Given all of what I've listed here, would ya'll think I have a pretty decent shot at getting a bid into the colony? I don't know all the specifics on their recruitment process yet, but I am planning to attend their PR events on campus in the upcoming weeks. I also understand that being a part of a colony is a lot of hard work and dedication but I am absolutely willing to give it my all.

Last edited by ksu_owl2; 03-04-2015 at 04:56 AM.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 03-04-2015, 08:04 AM
Super Moderator

Colonies need members from all 4 classes. Having been involved on campus, having a good GPA, a good reputation and having held leadership positions will be looked at favorably. We can't give you the probability whether you will be asked to join or not if you go through the process, but I can tell you for certain that if you don't try, you won't! Good luck!
Old 03-04-2015, 10:51 AM
GreekChat Member

There will be lots of information made available to you in the coming months. Keep an eye out for a facebook page and likely twitter and instagram as well. Once you express interest you should get emails updating you on what's going on. They do want students from all four years and at the upper class levels you would probably be sought after for leadership and maturity. Highlight those aspects of your collegiate experience and you should do well.

As an aside, we have a GC member here who is VERY involved with the closing SPSU chapter which is basically moving over to Kennesaw so she will be a great reference for you. On the other hand, there is an alumna here who will undoubtedly be involved with the colony so be very careful about your p's and q's here on GC. Good luck!
Old 03-04-2015, 10:58 AM

Are the girls in the SPSU chapter going to still be active members or are they being made alumnae?
Old 03-04-2015, 11:02 AM
GreekChat Member

The social media for the new colony has been put up, website, facebook, twitter, instagram, etc. I'm not sure it's being fully/regularly updated yet, but should be soon.

Last edited by Griffins&Quills; 03-04-2015 at 11:08 AM.
Old 03-04-2015, 01:18 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post
Are the girls in the SPSU chapter going to still be active members or are they being made alumnae?
FHQ is taking care of the active SPSU women. They have been presented options, and it's up to each individual member to decide what option she wants.
Old 03-04-2015, 02:50 PM
GreekChat Member

Thank you, FSUZeta and DubaiSis for your responses! I know it's all still a little while away but I want to make sure I'm prepared properly

One more question, do you think I will need a letter of recommendation for the colonization process? I know a couple of AXiD alums who can write one for me, but I just wasn't sure if I'll need it or not.
Old 03-04-2015, 02:53 PM

Will the colony keep the SPSU chapter designation?
Old 03-04-2015, 03:18 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to AZ-AlphaXi
Quote:
Originally Posted by ksu_owl2 View Post
Thank you, FSUZeta and DubaiSis for your responses! I know it's all still a little while away but I want to make sure I'm prepared properly

One more question, do you think I will need a letter of recommendation for the colonization process? I know a couple of AXiD alums who can write one for me, but I just wasn't sure if I'll need it or not.
Positive recs never hurt, especially if they are from someone who knows you well.
Old 03-04-2015, 03:56 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ-AlphaXi View Post
Positive recs never hurt, especially if they are from someone who knows you well.
Okay, that's what I figured! One of my best friends is an AXiD graduating this May. When I told her about the colony starting up at my school this fall, she said she would write one for me! As I get more information, they should tell me where to send it, correct? I still have a while so it's not a rush, but I'm just curious since I'm not very familiar with them.
Old 03-04-2015, 04:07 PM
GreekChat Member

You don't send it, she does. If she needs help with that, have her ask a chapter advisor or get in touch with her alumnae chapter immediately after graduation.
Old 03-04-2015, 04:09 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubaiSis View Post
You don't send it, she does. If she needs help with that, have her ask a chapter advisor or get in touch with her alumnae chapter immediately after graduation.
Alright, thank you!
Old 03-04-2015, 09:39 PM
GreekChat Member

The SPSU women, all students really, have faced so many changes this year with the "merger" of their university. Essentially their university has been shut down and stripped for parts (School of Engineering, Architecture, etc). FHQ has been sensitive to all the change the women are experiencing, communicating openly with them, and offering support throughout the merger. They have provided options to the active members that will allow each of them to determine what is best for their personal AXiD experience.

Any PNM interested in the colony should do what the OP did and submit her information through the website and look for information on campus this March. Recs are always gladly accepted from alumnae for PNMs. Alumnae can contact FHQ to ask questions or submit recs.

I will miss advising and advising them more than anyone will ever understand.
Old 03-04-2015, 09:58 PM

I know I asked this before, but how close distance wise are SPSU and KSU?
Old 03-04-2015, 10:11 PM
GreekChat Member

They are 9 miles away from each other. 9 miles is nothing in Georgia. On the open interstate maybe a 10-15 minute drive if there is no traffic. If there is traffic, well, it can take a more than 10 minutes! They are both in the same county and the county is establishing a bus route between the 2 campuses as a result of the merger.