GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Risk Management - Hazing & etc.

Risk Management - Hazing & etc. This forum covers Risk Management topics such as: Hazing, Alcohol Abuse/Awareness, Date Rape Awareness, Eating Disorder Prevention, Liability, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,124
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, znathanhulzeo24
» Online Users: 1,457
1 members and 1,456 guests
Cookiez17

Old 07-25-2010, 11:59 PM
Super Moderator

The Athletics Double Standard

Quote:
SAN ANTONIO -- Receiver Dez Bryant has done everything right on the field during the first two days of Dallas Cowboys training camp, but he refuses to participate in an NFL rite of passage.

According to the rookie first-round pick, Roy Williams and the other veteran receivers can carry their own shoulder pads after practice.

Williams gave his pads to Bryant after Sunday's morning practice, but Bryant declined to carry them. Williams threatened to go to "step two" when talking to reporters.
http://sports.espn.go.com/dallas/nfl...ory?id=5409306

Interesting double standard? Read the comments, folks are basically calling out Bryant for being "that guy" (Roy Williams' [WR, Dallas] exact words.
Mu Tau 5, Central Oklahoma
Old 07-26-2010, 12:42 AM
GreekChat Member

I don't get it.
Old 07-26-2010, 08:37 AM
Super Moderator

Many/most of us would applaud a pledge for standing up to a hazing regimen. Now an athlete does it and he's a punk.

At least that's what I figure the prevailing attitudes will be on the subject.
Old 07-26-2010, 08:40 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
Many/most of us would applaud a pledge for standing up to a hazing regimen. Now an athlete does it and he's a punk.

I'm trying so hard to not have that attitude, but I just don't see standing up to say forced drinking being on the same level of not wanting to carry someone else's pads. I don't think he's a punk but I do think he might be setting himself up for a difficult time on his new team.
Old 07-26-2010, 08:57 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:

You're comparing two different things, the reaction of the sports news world (or just this one writer) and the reaction of people on Greekchat. Also, the attitude in the article, where he's just being a party pooper and should just go along with it, is one I have seen about Greek hazing, if less frequently on GC than other places.

I think he's well within his rights to not participate in a hazing sort of tradition. And he appeared to act very maturely and not make a big stink about it, just politely declining. Spot on.

(Also, my lack of understanding was with the snippet of the story you provided. Did you cut and paste bits of it or is it that poorly written?)

ETA: What is it with the use of punk in your post? You sound like our troll from last night.
Old 07-26-2010, 11:21 AM
Banned

There has always been a double standard. Hazing in athletics, the military, and other places have existed for kazillions of years.

If people speak out against such hazing they are laughed at and deemed inadequate.

Similar still happens in GLOs, in general, but GLO hazing has been labeled as THE HAZING so people feel more comfortable speaking out and get a better response from people.
Old 07-26-2010, 11:29 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanners52674 View Post
I'm trying so hard to not have that attitude, but I just don't see standing up to say forced drinking being on the same level of not wanting to carry someone else's pads. I don't think he's a punk but I do think he might be setting himself up for a difficult time on his new team.
It's all the same hazing. The levels of hazing only matter when the powers that be deal out the appropriate "punishment." And let the record show that forced drinking isn't what I think of when I think of hazing.

He is "setting himself up for a difficult time on his team" just as a GLO pledge who speaks out is setting her/himself up to either never become a member or be the member who everyone hates. People need to keep their mouths shut and just go with the flow. If it doesn't hurt then it's okay. It doesn't matter that many chapters (athletics teams, etc.) start out with the "harmless" stuff before they push the hazing envelope further and further.
Old 07-26-2010, 11:30 AM

http://nfl.fanhouse.com/2010/07/22/d...-with-cowboys/

Quote:
Bryant's is a five-year, $11.8 million contract that includes $8.5 million in guarantees.
I'm sorry, but for that kind of bank I'll carry Roy's pads, jock strap and clean his pot bellied pig's litter box.
Old 07-26-2010, 01:26 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drolefille View Post
You're comparing two different things,
If I was comparing two things which were the same, that'd sort of take all the fun out of comparing them, wouldn't it?

Quote:
the reaction of the sports news world (or just this one writer) and the reaction of people on Greekchat. Also, the attitude in the article, where he's just being a party pooper and should just go along with it, is one I have seen about Greek hazing, if less frequently on GC than other places.
So obviously true that I didn't think it need to be said...

Quote:
I think he's well within his rights to not participate in a hazing sort of tradition. And he appeared to act very maturely and not make a big stink about it, just politely declining. Spot on.
Is he? Texas anti-hazing laws make a pretty big fuss about singling out collegiate organizations, particular GLOs. Professional athletes definitely fall outside the class of persons protected by the law. An interesting conversation could occur as to what exactly Bryant's employment at the Cowboys requires him to do.

Quote:
(Also, my lack of understanding was with the snippet of the story you provided. Did you cut and paste bits of it or is it that poorly written?)
Just cut the first couple paragraphs or so. It never really explains what "level two" contemplates.
Old 07-26-2010, 01:38 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post

I'm sorry, but for that kind of bank I'll carry Roy's pads, jock strap and clean his pot bellied pig's litter box.
Right. I think the major distinction here is that this is his career, not a social activity. If anything, it's workplace harassment, not hazing...and I think carrying equipment (even someone else's) could easily fall under "job description". He's not the first office newbie to get the crap job...only it's not making coffee or doing the filing or taking out the trash. Same idea, though.
Old 07-26-2010, 01:46 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
If I was comparing two things which were the same, that'd sort of take all the fun out of comparing them, wouldn't it?
But you framed it in such a way that it didn't make sense.

Quote:
So obviously true that I didn't think it need to be said...
But it did, because you suggested the audience was the same. It's either sloppy or deliberately manipulative.

Quote:
Is he? Texas anti-hazing laws make a pretty big fuss about singling out collegiate organizations, particular GLOs. Professional athletes definitely fall outside the class of persons protected by the law. An interesting conversation could occur as to what exactly Bryant's employment at the Cowboys requires him to do.
How is he not "within his rights?" I don't think you need anti-hazing laws for employment since that's what employment law and in particular his contract is for. Laws aside, just as in GLOs, you are always within your rights to decline and walk away. You can accept losing your job or your membership or your best friend as a consequence if you choose to do so.

Quote:
Just cut the first couple paragraphs or so. It never really explains what "level two" contemplates.
Poorly written then. I wasn't clear that the tradition was the rookie carrying the veterans' pads until multiple repeat readings.
Old 07-26-2010, 01:48 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post

"I'm sorry, but if it was required of me to kiss your butt, you should have put it in my contract."

- Janet Hubert "Life After"

I know what you are saying, but my peace on the situation in regards to pledging professional athletics is the same as folks in the band pledging their section.

I'm sorry none of those people are signing my checks, nor giving me my scholarship. I owe you nothing except my on the field work.

Personally I no man should have to carry Roy Williams pads.

Miles Austin on the other hand, if he has another G season, you better step up Rook, you ain't earned nothing. LOL

Roy may not even be there by the end of training camp

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-0Xa4bHcJu8

Last edited by BluPhire; 07-26-2010 at 01:54 PM.
Old 07-27-2010, 04:35 PM
GreekChat Member

Interesting comments from Ravens camp: http://weblogs.baltimoresun.com/spor...ng_ravens.html

The comments by Jarret Johnson and Coach Harbaugh (the first half, at least) sound like what we'd say about hazing in our GLOs.

Crazy that this has turned into such a huge story....
Old 07-27-2010, 05:31 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaFrog View Post
Right. I think the major distinction here is that this is his career, not a social activity. If anything, it's workplace harassment, not hazing...and I think carrying equipment (even someone else's) could easily fall under "job description". He's not the first office newbie to get the crap job...only it's not making coffee or doing the filing or taking out the trash. Same idea, though.
That's how I feel about it. Whatever, he could've just been trying to set a precedent to let the veterans know he won't be a gopher. And I can see the sense in that...but on the other hand most of us face a little flack as the new person in the office, and for seven figures I'd be glad to play the fool for a while.

"A child of five would understand this. Send someone to fetch a child of five."
Groucho Marx