GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > Dating & Relationships
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,426
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, Abisha55
» Online Users: 2,590
0 members and 2,590 guests
No Members online

Old 11-08-2011, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Munchkin03 View Post
Or you can just become involved in charity balls. After a few of them I realized that looking for a big formal dress was not so exciting after the first few. I've actually taken to renting ballgowns so they don't take up space in my closet. We didn't have formals in the sorority so I kind of missed out.

Also, helping to plan a few balls took the novelty out of planning, so I'll probably be hiring a wedding planner as well.
Sidenote: Best money you will ever spend.

Lakers Nation.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 11-13-2011, 07:08 AM
GreekChat Member

[QUOTE=KSUViolet06;2104734]

Not trying to be persnickety, but I like for people to know what they're getting. (And not be all "Can you believe I have a VERA WANG GOWN? I got it at David's for $1,299!")

Actually you can. My mom and I went to a bridal salon in Scottsdale, AZ. We wanted to browse the salon. We saw a Vera Wang (as this was a higher end salon) that was only around 1300 in the first place. As this was years ago, this was obviously before the label did stuff for David's Bridal.

So the reality is, it is possible to get a Vera Wang for around 1300-1500, but I'm sure the options are considerably less than if you are willing to spend more.

As for White by Vera Wang, if I went into David's Bridal and I purchased one of her dresses (because the reality is it is her "name" the label is using), I would have no problem saying that 1. where I got the dress and 2. who the designer is. And the designer is her, because it is her name.

No one can make you feel inferior without your consent." Eleanor Roosevelt
Old 11-13-2011, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASUADPi View Post
And the designer is her, because it is her name.
Ok. Cool. Just like House of Lanvin really designed my Lanvin for H&M shirt.

Lakers Nation.
Old 11-14-2011, 09:04 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSUViolet06 View Post
I left the H&M before Dec 2010, but based on previous designer/design house partnerships, there's a very good chance they did. Some stuff affecting bottom line (like fabric choice) might be decided in-house, but generally the designer/design house plays a bigger role than just accepting licensing fees in the H&M partnerships.
Old 11-14-2011, 09:29 AM
GreekChat Member

Lane swerving - because I am not well-versed in the fashion world - but the whole 'White by Vera isn't really Vera' conversation piqued my interest enough to actually look into this.

Quote:
Licensed by Vera, not designed. ...

Not trying to be persnickety, but I like for people to know what they're getting. (And not be all "Can you believe I have a VERA WANG GOWN? I got it at David's for $1,299!")
It appears from Vera's comments in this video that the dresses were, in fact, designed by Vera. She talks about the inspiration behind them and whatnot. And she talks about being excited to have a collection at David's.

Maybe I'm missing something, but it seems to me that 'White by Vera' is not misleading: Vera has been involved in the design.
Old 11-14-2011, 09:49 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SydneyK View Post
Lane swerving - because I am not well-versed in the fashion world - but the whole 'White by Vera isn't really Vera' conversation piqued my interest enough to actually look into this.

It appears from Vera's comments in this video that the dresses were, in fact, designed by Vera. She talks about the inspiration behind them and whatnot. And she talks about being excited to have a collection at David's.

Maybe I'm missing something, but it seems to me that 'White by Vera' is not misleading: Vera has been involved in the design.
"Involved in the design" does not immediately equal "designed it." In press releases about the White line, it's very vague--things like "my design philosophy" pop up. As someone involved in a different part of design, this all screams to me as "I didn't really design this, but it's in my style." In order to sell to a place like David's Bridal and still bring in a profit, less time is spent on actual design and cheaper fabrics, threads, and accents are used.

Here's a little discussion of "diffusion lines," and how you're likely to get the apprentices or assistants, with a general approval by the signature line designer. Vera Wang specifically has been involved in a lot of diffusion lines and I wonder how it's impacting the signature line sales.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/ar...ns-season.html

It's very similar to high-end architects in that way. Frank Gehry and Zaha Hadid don't design every single building that has their names on them...they focus on a few signature buildings and generally approve designs on the other ones.

So, "White by Vera Wang" by David's Bridal is not equivalent to Vera's signature bridal line. Sorry!
Old 11-14-2011, 11:45 AM
GreekChat Member

^^ No need to be sorry. I don't have a dog in this fight.

I recognize that there's a difference between a designer's signature line and diffusion line (although, I didn't know 'diffusion line' was the term). I wasn't trying to say that 'White by Vera' is equivalent to Vera's signature line. I was simply saying that brides who buy White by Vera gowns are still getting Vera gowns. Sure, they're not original or signature gowns; they're designed specifically for the David's market. But they're still Vera gowns.

I get the difference, though. I looked into this only because I was getting the impression that some starving grad student was sitting in a sweatshop thinking up Vera-esque designs, handing them over for $20 a pop, then letting Vera slap her name on them. I was, perhaps naively, happy to see that Vera is, on some level beyond name-slapping, involved in the process.
Old 11-14-2011, 04:03 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to lovespink88
MY DRESS IS READY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

(aside from alterations of course)
Old 11-14-2011, 05:35 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:

probably is, because Versace is doing a line for H&M.

Back to the regularly scheduled thread.

No one can make you feel inferior without your consent." Eleanor Roosevelt
Old 11-14-2011, 05:44 PM

^^^Think this is going to have to be one of those "agree to disagree" kind of discussions. Cool.

Moving it right along to some pretty:

Designer: Suzanne Neville

Elizabeth Fillmore.

Lakers Nation.
Old 11-14-2011, 09:06 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovespink88 View Post
MY DRESS IS READY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

(aside from alterations of course)
Yay! In what bridal salon did you purchase it? I know that all the good, not crazy expensive places are in the burbs.
Old 11-14-2011, 09:10 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to lovespink88
^^Brides by Demetrios near Woodfield.

I'll definitely post a pic once I get them. I'm so excited to see how it looks with the customization I ordered. YAY!!!
Old 11-16-2011, 10:41 PM

^^^^YAY!

More pretty:

Cherie Sposa.

Lakers Nation.
Old 11-17-2011, 12:28 AM
Super Moderator

^^ I absolutely LOVE the top. The bottom is a little fou-fou for me, but it's beautiful!

My own dress isn't finished because I have to be measured to get a new bustier. I've never been measured before, so this will be interesting! 24 days and counting!
Old 11-22-2011, 05:39 PM

Designer: Heidi Elnora (of Project Runway Season 6 fame.)

Lakers Nation.