GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > GLO Specific Forums > Delta > Delta Sigma Theta
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,471
Threads: 115,513
Welcome to our newest member, veasfrances2534
» Online Users: 1,126
0 members and 1,126 guests
No Members online

Old 05-22-2001, 07:06 PM
GreekChat Member

Question

Quote:
Originally posted by DableST_1:
and by the way is Moesha Dad a Kappa? I just don't understand how people can wear letters without EARNING them. but that's just MHO
I always thought Moesha's dad was an Omega man. I don't know if anyone remembers, but in the episode where Moesha gets a tatoo on her stomache, Frank was mad. Dee explained to him that she was expressing herself just like when he got BRANDED for his fraternity. I'm thinking Omegas are the only ones that get branded, but I could be wrong. Can anyone clear that up? Also, they could have meant "Frank" the character or the man who plays Frank.
~NoN

------------------
*someday...if it's in God's will*
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 05-22-2001, 08:26 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by NOWorNEVER:
Quote:
Originally posted by DableST_1:
and by the way is Moesha Dad a Kappa? I just don't understand how people can wear letters without EARNING them. but that's just MHO
I always thought Moesha's dad was an Omega man. I don't know if anyone remembers, but in the episode where Moesha gets a tatoo on her stomache, Frank was mad. Dee explained to him that she was expressing herself just like when he got BRANDED for his fraternity. I'm thinking Omegas are the only ones that get branded, but I could be wrong. Can anyone clear that up? Also, they could have meant "Frank" the character or the man who plays Frank.
~NoN

ANYONE CAN GET A BRAND!

Brandy Norwood's father is an Omega and her mother is a Soror.

Frank was a "member" of an organization. (Now, the guy who portrays FRANK, I don't know if her is greek or NOT. THERE IS A DIFFERENCE, we must DISTINGUISH THE DIFFERENCES.) I am sure it is a ficticious org. Cause the dude that Brandy was messing around with how was in college while she was still in high school was Frank's "fraternity brother".

When we watch these shows, we have to remember that on TV they (orgs) are like the characters FAKE, FICTIONAL!

IN sister sister, NY undercover,etc. I WOULD BET my butt that those members of KAPPA, AKA, etc ARE members of the orgs. represented. If I am not mistaken, Robbi Reed-Humes is a soror and she has been a casting director in the biz for YEARS and casts many of these "black" shows. I don't think that she would let just any ole body wear letters of REAL orgs, especially HER OWN. I can't see that AT ALL.

Why can't these people who wore those letters on Different World, etc. actually be "extras" from nearby universities?

Then, just because a "character" references something doesn't make it true. For instance, on "Martin". Gina painted the bedroom pink and green when she was fired from a job. Martin questioned why she did it. She said they were her "sorority colors". OKAY, Gina is a fictional CHARACTER WHO IS NOT AN AKA, ALSO, TISHA CAMPBELL-MARTIN, is NOT A SOROR!

I said ALL that to say, don't believe the hype, especially if it comes from TV!

I APOLOGIZE FOR THE LENGTH!

[This message has been edited by AKA2D '91 (edited May 22, 2001).]

[This message has been edited by AKA2D '91 (edited May 22, 2001).]
Old 05-22-2001, 09:14 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by NOWorNEVER:
~NoN

i actually met a kappa in the club that was branded. it was a diamond with a "K" in the middle.
Old 05-22-2001, 11:36 PM
GreekChat Member

My father is a member of Kappa Alpha Psi and has a brand, a diamond with a K in the middle on both of his arms. He has had these since he pledged in 1970. I have also seen members of all organizations, fraternities as well as sororities with brands. This practice is not exclusive to Omega Psi Phi.

------------------
P.H.A.S.A.D.
D.S.G.H.O.S.T.S.
LAMBDA
4/15/00
Old 05-22-2001, 11:42 PM
GreekChat Member

Thumbs up

Thanks for the clarification

------------------
*someday...if it's in God's will*
Old 05-23-2001, 12:46 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by CrimsonTide4:
AJ Johnson was Morris Chestnut's wife in THE INKWELL. She played SHaraine in HOUSE PARTY. She was the one who lived in the projects and was Tisha Campbell's girl in the movie.

Now I know why I loved-ed that girl. Not only was she fine (way better than Tisha) but a Delta as well. Kid shoulda picked her. She is my type of hype!! (I know y'all remember that from the movie). You sure that Kym Whitley went to Fisk? She does not carry herself like a Fisk Alumna.

Old 05-23-2001, 07:38 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by AKA2D '91:

IN sister sister, NY undercover,etc. I WOULD BET my butt that those members of KAPPA, AKA, etc ARE members of the orgs. represented. If I am not mistaken, Robbi Reed-Humes is a soror and she has been a casting director in the biz for YEARS and casts many of these "black" shows. I don't think that she would let just any ole body wear letters of REAL orgs, especially HER OWN. I can't see that AT ALL.

Why can't these people who wore those letters on Different World, etc. actually be "extras" from nearby universities?
(edited May 22, 2001).][/B]
I can't speak for any other show but I know for a FACT that not all of the the "extras" on a Different World who wore greek para were greeks. As a matter of fact, a couple of people wore letters that were not there own to ensure that the shot was "balanced" (i.e. not too many of one organization). A very good friend of mine from college is the cousin of the exec producer of DW (Thad Mumford) and one of their relatives who was playing an extra on the show was asked to take off his frat shirt and put on another frat shirt. When he protested, they said o.k., but you can leave the set and loose the pay. He decided to stay and change shirts.....
Old 05-23-2001, 01:31 PM

Question

Good question. It is my understanding that they are members (if they are actually wearing letters). I saw that particular episode of Moesha (with the soror who played Laura Winslow on "Family Matters.") I couldn't see if he actually had on letters, though. I know there are instances in sitcoms where nonmembers will wear red and/or step with canes--but as long as they do not have on letters, it is "okay."

#2 Chaos
Rho Rho
Spring 98
The Univ. of Richmond

Quote:
Originally posted by kiml122:
On an episode of the show Moesha, she was going with this guy who was a Kappa. In the episodehe stepped and had the letters on and everything. Here is my question, when you see people on TV and they have on a certain fraternity or sororities letters (like a sweater) are they really a member. I hope this question can be answered and is not offensive, that is not my intent.
Old 05-24-2001, 01:16 PM

Wink

Members of EVERY organization get branded: Kappas, Alphas, Sigmas, Iotas, Ques, Zetas, etc. Referrences to brands do not limit that individual to Omega Psi Phi. I've seen many white greeks with brands, as well. I hope I cleared that up for you.

[This message has been edited by ChaosDST (edited May 24, 2001).]
Old 05-24-2001, 01:19 PM

Talking

Quote:
Originally posted by CrimsonRage:
My father is a member of Kappa Alpha Psi and has a brand, a diamond with a K in the middle on both of his arms. He has had these since he pledged in 1970. I have also seen members of all organizations, fraternities as well as sororities with brands. This practice is not exclusive to Omega Psi Phi.

HEY PHASAD!!!! QUIT FOLLOWING ME AROUND!!!

#2 CHAOS
RHO RHO
SPRING 98
THE UNIV. OF RICHMOND
DSTDeuce from BP
Old 05-30-2001, 06:45 PM
GreekChat Member

HEY, SHIP (PHASAD)!!! JUST HAD TO HOLLA!

"S.H.A.D.E."
10-Lambda-SP00
Memphis Alumnae Chapter
Delta Sigma Theta Sorority, Inc.
Old 06-01-2001, 06:18 AM
GreekChat Member

Red face

Tim Reid is not a member of Alpha Phi Alpha
from what I undertand his son is a member of one of the west coast chapters.I don't believe Debbie Allen is greek nor is Vanessa Williams and a lot of other famous people who have been claimed.
Old 06-01-2001, 02:11 PM
c&c1913

Question

I was talking to another greek sister the other day and she said that Judge Judy is a Zeta. I was wondering if it was true?
Old 06-01-2001, 04:46 PM
GreekChat Member

Location: Studio 33 (aka The Bob Barker Studio), CBS Television City
Quote:
Originally posted by c&c1913:
I was talking to another greek sister the other day and she said that Judge Judy is a Zeta. I was wondering if it was true?
Zeta as in Zeta Phi Beta or Zeta Tau Alpha?

RM
Old 06-01-2001, 04:56 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to kitten03
That would be too much....Judge Judy strollin at a party in blue and white. She's a bad girl!!! I love her though. Don't pee on my leg and tell me it's raining!