GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,126
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, babobygooglet93
» Online Users: 1,660
1 members and 1,659 guests
bjenzdarka5720

Old 04-04-2004, 04:59 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by deuika
SMHASAP
LOL...me too. I have a comment, but really what would be the point.
Old 04-04-2004, 05:19 PM
GreekChat Member

Please post deuika, I know there will be some more flamewars around the corner if you give your opinion.

I don't know how to take the 1 avg rating of this thread.

^^^

Can't you tell I'm a procrastinator?
Old 04-04-2004, 05:33 PM
GreekChat Member

Can you NOT be a mod so I can ignore you?

Quote:
Originally posted by Tom Earp
Calling everyone HOMO is acceptable?

Well, to each thier own! Savage Biotch!

Jeeze Rudy sometimes your posts make less sense than mine!

Lets Boogitie, Boogitie Big Boy! Oh for your info, it is NASCAR Talk!

Ignorance is not allowed under the rules of the law! Well at least in this country! Insanity, well, that is another story!

Eevryone gets off on that ploy!

Da Devil made me do it! Hell, havent used that since The Black Commedian who had his own show Werent Redd Foxx, Name The Black Dude!

Oh, This is like Jeapordy, You must Answer in the form of a question!
Old 04-04-2004, 05:36 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Tom Earp
Calling everyone HOMO is acceptable?

Well, to each thier own! Savage Biotch!

Jeeze Rudy sometimes your posts make less sense than mine!

Lets Boogitie, Boogitie Big Boy! Oh for your info, it is NASCAR Talk!

Ignorance is not allowed under the rules of the law! Well at least in this country! Insanity, well, that is another story!

Eevryone gets off on that ploy!

Da Devil made me do it! Hell, havent used that since The Black Commedian who had his own show Werent Redd Foxx, Name The Black Dude!

Oh, This is like Jeapordy, You must Answer in the form of a question!
When you can't say something relevant, don't say anything at all.

On that note, I know that I have discussed this topic on GC ad nauseum, so I have nothing else to add.

Last edited by Munchkin03; 04-04-2004 at 05:50 PM.
Old 04-04-2004, 05:51 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by DeltaSigStan
This is the post of the year.
Old 04-04-2004, 06:20 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
This became her agenda after, not before she went through rush.
You're joking, right? If that's so, what was the firestorm of publicity surrounding Ms. Twilley that took place BEFORE rush started?

Also, she did not rush as a freshman. So if she had 3 years left AFTER she wrote that article, that high GPA from high school wasn't doing her much good.

And I've said it before and I'll say it again, Ms. Twilley's skin color had NOTHING to do with why my house didn't pledge her. And I would wager an enormous amount of money that we were not the only house on the row that felt this way.

Stop using Melody Twilley as an example. The only thing she is out to help is herself.
Old 04-04-2004, 06:38 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Bama_Alumna

Also, she did not rush as a freshman. So if she had 3 years left AFTER she wrote that article, that high GPA from high school wasn't doing her much good.

Well, some people change their majors, and have to take an extra year to take requirements that they might have missed. Don't assume that anyone who takes an extra year to finish school has flunked out.
Old 04-04-2004, 06:47 PM
Banned

Quote:
LOL

I second Senusret on that. Stan deserves a prize.

-Rudey
Old 04-04-2004, 06:48 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Bama_Alumna
You're joking, right? If that's so, what was the firestorm of publicity surrounding Ms. Twilley that took place BEFORE rush started?

And I've said it before and I'll say it again, Ms. Twilley's skin color had NOTHING to do with why my house didn't pledge her. And I would wager an enormous amount of money that we were not the only house on the row that felt this way.

Stop using Melody Twilley as an example. The only thing she is out to help is herself.
If I'm not mistaken, YOU were the first person to mention the Melody Twilley stuff in detail.

Since she's out of school, I imagine she has moved on with her life. I suggest the same. I don't understand why there has to be such defensiveness over this thing that happened years ago...if she wasn't a proper candidate for membership, just say so and BE DONE WITH IT.

Last edited by Munchkin03; 04-04-2004 at 06:51 PM.
Old 04-04-2004, 06:56 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Rudey
LOL

I second Senusret on that. Stan deserves a prize.

-Rudey
Send all paypal donations to stanmangindin@hotmail.com
Old 04-04-2004, 07:10 PM
Banned

Quote:
Send all paypal donations to stanmangindin@hotmail.com
Is it tax deductible?

-Rudey
Old 04-04-2004, 07:24 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:

*gets out the Snap Cup*
*starts singing the Snap Cup song*

SNAPS TO STAN!
Old 04-04-2004, 07:31 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to jubilance1922 Send a message via Yahoo to jubilance1922
******ATTENTION*******
In this post, everyone will find all the answers they need so that they can let this thread die.....

Now with that said, I'll begin....

*A lot of white people do not understand the significance that NPHC orgs hold in the black community. These orgs are lifelong committments, because they are service orgs, not social. Therefore, for many years (and to some extent now), NPHC orgs were seen as the cream of the crop of the black community. Me personally, I grew up being groomed to join one particular sorority. When I went off to college, I looked at all the sororities, not just NPHC ones, and it happens that my heart is in Sigma Gamma Rho, which is what I pursued.

*I agree with the comment that NPC orgs can't pledge minorities who don't rush. But I also agree that people need to look at the reasons why they don't rush. Could it be that they already know they want to join something else? Could it be that they are turned off due to interaction with members, or from false information? Who knows! The point is that if the org is for the person, then they will find each other, and that goes for all orgs across all racial groups.

*As for the handsign thing, its a very special thing in NPHC orgs. I worked way too hard to have the privilege to display a sign that everyone knows is associated with my org. To me, its the same as wearing my letters. I would never stand for someone else throwing up my sign that wasn't a Sigma Gamma Rho, but that's just me.

*And for the people that said its not right for NPHC orgs to not have non-black members also, that's your right to say that. In Sigma Gamma Rho, I have sorors that are as different as night and day! At one time, our advising grad chapter was 100% white! I say this to demonstrate a point. As I mentioned above, NPHC orgs are service orgs created to serve and uplift the community, but specifically the black community. Do I think non-black women can be dedicated to that purpose? I sure do, and if a qualified young woman came to me and expressed an interest in Sigma Gamma Rho, I would vote for her.

I know its long, but I hope this helps clear up some issues that people had.
Old 04-04-2004, 07:47 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by jubilance1922
******ATTENTION*******
In this post, everyone will find all the answers they need so that they can let this thread die.....

Now with that said, I'll begin....

*A lot of white people do not understand the significance that NPHC orgs hold in the black community. These orgs are lifelong committments, because they are service orgs, not social. Therefore, for many years (and to some extent now), NPHC orgs were seen as the cream of the crop of the black community. Me personally, I grew up being groomed to join one particular sorority. When I went off to college, I looked at all the sororities, not just NPHC ones, and it happens that my heart is in Sigma Gamma Rho, which is what I pursued.

*I agree with the comment that NPC orgs can't pledge minorities who don't rush. But I also agree that people need to look at the reasons why they don't rush. Could it be that they already know they want to join something else? Could it be that they are turned off due to interaction with members, or from false information? Who knows! The point is that if the org is for the person, then they will find each other, and that goes for all orgs across all racial groups.

*As for the handsign thing, its a very special thing in NPHC orgs. I worked way too hard to have the privilege to display a sign that everyone knows is associated with my org. To me, its the same as wearing my letters. I would never stand for someone else throwing up my sign that wasn't a Sigma Gamma Rho, but that's just me.

*And for the people that said its not right for NPHC orgs to not have non-black members also, that's your right to say that. In Sigma Gamma Rho, I have sorors that are as different as night and day! At one time, our advising grad chapter was 100% white! I say this to demonstrate a point. As I mentioned above, NPHC orgs are service orgs created to serve and uplift the community, but specifically the black community. Do I think non-black women can be dedicated to that purpose? I sure do, and if a qualified young woman came to me and expressed an interest in Sigma Gamma Rho, I would vote for her.

I know its long, but I hope this helps clear up some issues that people had.
well shoot...there you have it. gotta love the Rhos.
Old 04-04-2004, 07:58 PM
GreekChat Member

I hope my point is not lost on most people......I have said this before....I don't like it when other NPHC members try to speak on behalf of us all. We do not all believe the same things, sometimes within the same organization!

That said....there are varying opinions on whether NPHC organizations are "service" organizations. Yes, it is true that we all perform community service. But in my organization, and my chapter, that service is but a small part of an overall social action program that has the overall mission of improving the lives of young black men. "Project Alpha" is a program in partnership with the March of Dimes that allows Alpha men to educate young men about teen pregnancy, teen fatherhood, responsibility, etc. "Go-to-High School, Go-to-College" is a program that is pretty self explanatory: participating in the lives of youth, encouraging them to stay in school and advance to college. And "A Voteless People is a Hopeless People" which is basically a collective effort to register people to vote and perform voter education programs.

Yes, we do service, but there are also countless hours of lobbying, research, discussions, lectures, conferences, etc, etc that happen as well. Some might consider this "service" -- I consider it social action. Why? Because NPC/NIC organizations do service too, and I don't like to take that away from them. I have noticed that many NPC/NIC chapters seem to prefer philathropy events instead of hands-on service -- that's fine, because to me, it is still going to people in need.

At the end of the day, people are going to join what they want to join for whatever reason. I take everything I read on GC with a grain of salt, even from those posters who believe they can speak for their coordinting council with "authority" whatever that council may be.

And oh yeah, we can all do service by ourselves or with other organizations. I didn't become an Alpha for the service....I joined because of the Brotherhood. And to me, that's a social reason -- being part of a group of people who are similar to me.

We are more similar to NIC/NPC organizations than we would like to admit sometimes....but I'll admit it.