GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,427
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, FlorCundif
» Online Users: 2,450
2 members and 2,448 guests
davidsholzeo679, JayhawkAOII

Old 02-03-2016, 04:49 AM
GreekChat Member

Need some advice Greek Chat!

Hey yall,

I need some advice, I am currently a Greek member that initiated at another university than the one I am in right now. I was part of the Exec board, and also very active back in my old university. I have been in that fraternity for 2 years. I had to transfer recently because of a full ride merit scholarship I got. Here is the problem, my chapter in my current university refuses to allow me to affiliate. This wouldn't be a problem, and I'm not really pushy, its their choice after all, I don't blame them, but I have effectively been ignored by all the brothers. I was really into Greek life back in my old school, and I still keep in touch with all my brothers back home. Now that I am not in Greek life anymore I feel kind of a void, and at a new university, although I have made a lot of friends outside Greek life, and a lot of friends at another Greek organization on campus, many of which have told me to affiliate with them, although I wouldn't want to do that. There is a new chapter starting on campus and I am torn between dropping my letters and joining them, or continue not to be affiliated with any organization on campus. I understand the oaths I made during initiation, and I respect them greatly, that is why I am so hesitant about dropping, but I am missing such a fun part about college that I was used to and loved. I just wanted some advice on what I should do.

PS: There is no way that the chapter here will even think about letting me join, they simply ignore me now.

Thanks Greek chat!
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 02-03-2016, 08:58 AM
GreekChat Member

Is there some other campus org you can get involved in? I don't know how fraternities work, but with NPC sororities you can't resign your membership and join a different one.

Wow. They don't sound very brotherly. Can't imagine not letting an initiated member affiliate. You're obviously not a convicted felon. lol If you're on an academic scholarship, you'd be an asset to the GPA of the chapter. Did they ever give you a reason?
Old 02-03-2016, 11:58 AM

If the chapter at your new school is not permitting you to affiliate, despite your best efforts, call your national headquarters and ask to be released from membership. After they do that you can either join the fraternity you made lots of friends in or the colony.
Old 02-03-2016, 12:17 PM
GreekChat Member

Fraternities are more flexible than sororities in this matter. I agree - disaffiliate from your old group and join a new one. Even if you could affiliate with your old group's chapter, they're going to be totally different from your previous chapter. It would still be similar to starting from scratch again anyway.
Good luck to you!