GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Risk Management - Hazing & etc.
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Risk Management - Hazing & etc. This forum covers Risk Management topics such as: Hazing, Alcohol Abuse/Awareness, Date Rape Awareness, Eating Disorder Prevention, Liability, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,428
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, baangelasteaxdy
» Online Users: 2,237
4 members and 2,233 guests
asamuelchvso931, oncegreek, PrettyBoy
Closed Thread

Old 12-03-2006, 10:07 PM

SMU student found dead at SAE House

Dallas news stations are reporting that an SAE member was found dead in their house at SMU. No other information so far.

I'll support the RedWolves, but in my heart I'll always be an ASU Indian. Go Tribe! (1931-2008)
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 12-03-2006, 10:09 PM
GreekChat Member

Naperville student dead at SMU

December 3, 2006
DALLAS -- A 20-year-old from Naperville, Ill., was found dead in his room at a Southern Methodist University fraternity house over the weekend.

The university said in a news release posted on its Web site that the cause of Jacob Stiles' death wasn't immediately known. A ruling on the cause of death was pending Sunday with the Dallas County Medical Examiner's Office.

Stiles was a member of the Sigma Alpha Epsilon fraternity. Fraternity members attended a prayer service for Stiles at Perkins Chapel on campus on Sunday.

Stiles was found dead about 1:30 p.m. Saturday.
Old 12-04-2006, 12:09 AM
GreekChat Member

Long night filled with lots of drinking and lots of blow. Thats about all you need to know.

Last edited by macallan25; 12-04-2006 at 12:19 AM.
Old 12-04-2006, 12:48 AM
GreekChat Member

As I posted on FS, one of my favorite combinations.

Condolences go out to the SAE family.

P.S. could this be taken out of Hazing, seeing as it was not a result of hazing?
Old 12-04-2006, 01:28 AM

It's in Risk Management, which is more than just hazing. Besides, they don't know how he died yet.
Old 12-04-2006, 01:32 AM
GreekChat Member

I believe I just stated how he died. OD of some type.....highly likely that it was coke.......have talked to quite a few people about it today....I know a ton of SAEs at SMU. Truly horrible, and I wish the best for their chapter and all that are involved.

Last edited by macallan25; 12-04-2006 at 04:23 PM.
Old 12-04-2006, 10:01 AM
GreekChat Member

Dammit, why was my post deleted?

Condolences to the SAE family.
Old 12-04-2006, 12:12 PM

Condolences to all involved.

This kind of thing is a shock to all involved -- even if the risks are known -- so my thoughts go out to not only the chapter, but to all of this young mans friends and the entire Greek Community there.

We had a similar situation at our Ohio State chapter a few years ago, but the drinking and drugs didn't happen in the house.

Subsequent information, though, caused an investigation which resulted in the closing of the chapter. It recolonized and was rechartered last year, I think.
The above is the opinion of the poster which may or may not be based in known facts and does not necessarily reflect the views of Delta Tau Delta or Greek Chat -- but it might.
Old 12-04-2006, 12:51 PM
GreekChat Member

They won't close SAE at SMU.......too powerful...........besides, it was a completely isolated incodent.
Old 12-04-2006, 03:44 PM
GreekChat Member

It is amazing how some people feel that their Chapter is above their National/International and how they think and feel.

Bravado may seem the thing to do unless you have worked with them one on one, then you may have no idea of what is going on.

Have many gotten out of the little world, Chapter, or area they are in and worked with Members of other Greek Organizations?

A Greek Organization with out Leadership is a Ship with out a Captain.

If what some say that that IHQ's hold a blind eye to transgressions against policy have a lot to learn.

LX Z # 1
Alumni
Old 12-04-2006, 04:22 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Earp View Post
It is amazing how some people feel that their Chapter is above their National/International and how they think and feel.

Bravado may seem the thing to do unless you have worked with them one on one, then you may have no idea of what is going on.

Have many gotten out of the little world, Chapter, or area they are in and worked with Members of other Greek Organizations?

A Greek Organization with out Leadership is a Ship with out a Captain.

If what some say that that IHQ's hold a blind eye to transgressions against policy have a lot to learn.

Oh Jesus....here we go again. Tom, quit with your nonsensical, rambling preacher sessions. You have absolutely no idea what happened. I do. What the hell are you talking about with "transgressions against policy?" The chapter didn't have anything to it.

Instead of force feeding everyone your ideas on your beloved "Nationals/IHQ" and telling us to "get out in the real world"........

Last edited by Kevin; 12-06-2006 at 12:59 PM. Reason: language, personal attacks
Old 12-04-2006, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by macallan25 View Post
They won't close SAE at SMU.......too powerful...........besides, it was a completely isolated incodent.
Ohio State was one of our larger and older chapters with some very influential alumni.

That didn't make any difference.

And it shouldn't.

It was due to its history and alumni support -- including a member of our Arch Chapter (board of directors) -- that allowed it to recolonize so quickly, though.

You're right, we don't know the whole story, but if this kind of behavior is a norm at the chapter, and it isn't closed, then SAE isn't as good of an organization as I think it is.
The above is the opinion of the poster which may or may not be based in known facts and does not necessarily reflect the views of Delta Tau Delta or Greek Chat -- but it might.
Old 12-04-2006, 06:38 PM
GreekChat Member

Or we could let people take responsibilities for their actions. Why not close SMU down as well? They obviously allow these activities to go on. If the chapter supplied the blow, maybe that would be a rational decision. Also, if a chapter has a policy against drugs and decides to kick a member out, then thats fine also. Nationals coming in and closing down shop because some people use drugs and an accident happened is stupid. Yeah yeah, insurance, liability. I just hate that fraternities are viewed as some overseeing parent responsible for its members. Sure, our bonds and activities go beyond that of a club, but thats how it should be viewed. If I die of drinking, should the college republicans be held responsible? These are grown men. Well, they would be if people would stop treating them like children who need to be coddled.
Old 12-04-2006, 06:39 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by macallan25 View Post
Oh Jesus....here we go again. Tom, quit with your nonsensical, bullshit, rambling preacher sessions. You have absolutely no idea what happened. I do. What the hell are you talking about with "transgressions against policy?" The chapter didn't have anything to it.

Instead of force feeding everyone your ideas on your beloved "Nationals/IHQ" and telling us to "get out in the real world"........how about you show some fucking respect.

I would be more than happy to if the same respect is shown to others .

But, I am afraid you have no clue! Get a grip on what Greek Life is instead of your little mind set.

Yes, You are Amazing!

LX Z # 1
Alumni
Old 12-04-2006, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shinerbock View Post
These are grown men.
Maybe. But maybe not grown enough to follow the rules and obey the law.

The chapter knows what is expected of it.

IF it was aware of what was going on, it may deserve to be closed.

Sorry, but that's the way society works.
Closed Thread