GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment

Recruitment General discussion about recruitment.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,122
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, haledarkz870
» Online Users: 1,370
1 members and 1,369 guests
LaneSig

Old 09-08-2014, 08:31 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKEfromthe90's View Post
Reading through all these stories, wow, this sorority Chi Upsilon Zeta (XYZ) is terrible, no wonder I've never heard of them...
LOLOLOL!
Old 10-03-2014, 01:22 PM
GreekChat Member

UNsoliticed comment from a PNM this year / total seque from the conversation:
"James Franco wanted me to be in his Creative Writing course. I think he just wanted to stare at my boobs."
Old 10-03-2014, 01:56 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChioLu View Post
"James Franco wanted me to be in his Creative Writing course. I think he just wanted to stare at my boobs."

Old 10-03-2014, 01:59 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChioLu View Post

LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL.
Old 10-20-2014, 02:49 AM
GreekChat Member

So I have a few of those haha.

1: When I was rushing, there was this one girl with whom EVERYONE was in love with. She was adorable. After each party she'd be like "OMG, those XYZ girls are sooooo weird. ABC is OBVIOUSLY the best sorority". Both her and I got a bid from ABC. She was kicked out 2 years ago for spreading nasty rumours about her sisters (ex. a girl from ABC drugged a girl from XYZ...). Who does that?!

2: When I was a rusher, there was this socially awkward girl who wanted to rush. I had met her previously at a booth and I think she got attached to me in some way because at the parties she would only talk to me. My sisters tried to get her to mingle with others, but NO. She'd always come back to me. After the party, I had to hurry to a class; she FOLLOWED me. I was very worried: I didn't want to get an NPC fine since it's not allowed to talk to PNMs outside of official parties. Turns out, the other sororities on campus were concerned for me because she was talking about me personally in their parties so I was not fined. She did not get a bid...
Old 03-20-2015, 10:12 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoxieGrrl View Post
We have spring recruitment here at my very small school. Therefore, a lot of the women going through "know" where they are going to go. It's kind of general, and I"m sure it happens everywhere, but don't you just *love* the PNM's that wear the color of "their" sorority every event? Or when they do crafts, they do it in "their" sorority colors? Even if the girl seems like she could be a great sister, who wants a girl that tacky? Yech...
I know this thread is 'old' but when I was a Rho Chi, we had the girl who proclaimed: "I'm known as the cheerleader who's rushing," and wore the color ABC sorority donned the first day. She wound up joining that sorority, but wound up transferring because it was either that or they'd de-sister her due to behavior issues. After that, our,relatively small, Greek system (gotten WAY bigger since I was there) got wary of anyone who was SO sure of what chapter a person wanted to join. I went through informal rush so never went through the typical rushee thing. I think I'd be scared to death. lol Word to the wise, go through rush with an open mind.

Edited to add that I'm reading some of these stories to my husband as I read them. Many have left me laughing in tears and he is wondering "What on earth?" Truth is stranger than fiction. Truly.

Last edited by jolene; 03-20-2015 at 10:18 PM.
Old 03-31-2015, 10:44 AM
GreekChat Member

Just found this thread!

Even though no one has posted in a while, I wanted to add my story from the actives side-
My sophomore year (first year on the sorority side) I was co-chairing one of the parties, and we decided to have a star theme (this was pre-no frills). It was common on our campus for the sororities to change the lyrics of songs to fit with the sorority and the party theme and sing them as their door songs. Well, out "entering" one was "Swinging on a Star" a nice, easy up tempo song. Went well. Our "exit" song was "When You Wish Upon a Star." Now, we have some truly fantastic singers in our chapter, but the room where we practiced and the room where we held the party apparently have very different acoustics. When You Wish Upon a Star has some quite high notes, and the first one we hit sounded so bad that some of the PNMs actually winced. Well, we decided to just use a different generic recruitment song for the rest of the parties. Oops!
Old 05-06-2015, 07:58 PM
GreekChat Member

I just spent the last two days rereading this entire thread. You really can't make this stuff up. I'm sure Make It Happen Girl is out there somewhere still trying to make something happen.

Anyway, I didn't want to bump this without a story. I was at the pref party for ABC, and after some touching moments, the president played a song from a CD player. What happens next? It starts skipping, and she is visibly mortified. She starts the song over. It skips again at the same spot, and you can tell she has no idea what to do. Everyone in the room just stood frozen. Finally, after what seemed like the longest 30 seconds of silence, a sister started to sing the song and the rest chimed in.

At the same party, I was chatting with a senior about the dorms we had lived in as freshman (I was a sophomore at the time).

Me: "I was in the Blue Dorm, too. Suite 123 actually."
Her: "Get out! So was I. I was in Room D..."
Me: "ME TOO!"

Flashback: When I had moved into that room, I saw something sticking out the top shelf of the closet. It was a folded up piece of notebook paper that detailed all of the fun times the residents had in that room in the year they lived there, which was noted at the top, and signed by them all with the wishes that the next residents would as well.

I remember the year. Remember she's a senior. Do the math...

"Did you write a note and leave it in the closet?"

Apparently everyone who lived in that suite pledged ABC and have been waiting for someone to find it, and they were THRILLED! I didn't join ABC, but it was a cool moment to share.
Old 05-10-2015, 07:07 PM
GreekChat Member

My senior year a good friend from another chapter was a Rho Gamma and got assigned to our house for philanthropy day. As president I wasn’t recruiting and my job was mostly to make sure the Rho Gams were taken care of, so we got to talk quite a bit throughout the day when I brought out snacks. At the end of the last party my friend was stationed just outside the door to make sure no one left with anything (a recruitment violation) and I was standing in the front hall waving goodbye. All of a sudden I saw her jump back slightly and her eyes got wide. I mouthed “What’s wrong?” but she just shook her head. As soon as the last PNM was out the door she ran inside and grabbed a broom out of our mailroom. She took it to the front porch and started waving it over her head. We thought she was crazy until we saw what had her worried: an absolutely gigantic spider was descending from the porch covering, hanging just above head level for most people. After she killed the spider she explained that she wanted to wait until PNMs left so it didn’t spoil the experience at Gamma Phi for any of them. It was NPC sisterhood at it’s finest!
Old 05-10-2015, 07:53 PM
GreekChat Member

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by TweedleDee199 View Post
My senior year a good friend from another chapter was a Rho Gamma and got assigned to our house for philanthropy day. As president I wasn’t recruiting and my job was mostly to make sure the Rho Gams were taken care of, so we got to talk quite a bit throughout the day when I brought out snacks. At the end of the last party my friend was stationed just outside the door to make sure no one left with anything (a recruitment violation) and I was standing in the front hall waving goodbye. All of a sudden I saw her jump back slightly and her eyes got wide. I mouthed “What’s wrong?” but she just shook her head. As soon as the last PNM was out the door she ran inside and grabbed a broom out of our mailroom. She took it to the front porch and started waving it over her head. We thought she was crazy until we saw what had her worried: an absolutely gigantic spider was descending from the porch covering, hanging just above head level for most people. After she killed the spider she explained that she wanted to wait until PNMs left so it didn’t spoil the experience at Gamma Phi for any of them. It was NPC sisterhood at it’s finest!
That's hilarious (and creepy). My college best friend is a Phi Mu (we met as Rho Chis and were instantly glued to each other's side--still close now). We would totally kill spiders for each other.
Old 05-24-2015, 07:01 PM
GreekChat Member

I served as a Rho Chi during recruitment in Fall '13. One rushee (a legacy of my own house, actually), had been hanging out at another house prior to rush week. During the very first round, the other Rho Chi, a member of the house we were leaving, took some of the rushees out the door and I trailed back to make sure all were accounted for and leaving so we could move to the next. This particular rushee stood back talking with the chapter president (this being the fraternity he was so interested in), exclaiming "This is f***ing" stupid, I know this is where I want to rush... why should I go to the other houses? F*** XY!". He said this right as the IFC president (a member of the house cursed upon) walked through with his entourage to see how rush was moving. Needless to say, he was removed from formal rush shortly after.
Old 05-24-2015, 07:23 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myren1897 View Post
I served as a Rho Chi during recruitment in Fall '13. One rushee (a legacy of my own house, actually), had been hanging out at another house prior to rush week. During the very first round, the other Rho Chi, a member of the house we were leaving, took some of the rushees out the door and I trailed back to make sure all were accounted for and leaving so we could move to the next. This particular rushee stood back talking with the chapter president (this being the fraternity he was so interested in), exclaiming "This is f***ing" stupid, I know this is where I want to rush... why should I go to the other houses? F*** XY!". He said this right as the IFC president (a member of the house cursed upon) walked through with his entourage to see how rush was moving. Needless to say, he was removed from formal rush shortly after.
Learn something new every day, I guess. ! I have never heard of a fraternity system that used any of the NPC type of rush policies or procedures, like being required to visit every chapter.
Old 05-24-2015, 07:42 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thetalady View Post
Learn something new every day, I guess. ! I have never heard of a fraternity system that used any of the NPC type of rush policies or procedures, like being required to visit every chapter.
Hmm, I'm not knowledgeable in the recruitment practices of other universities. But yes, at my university formal rush is a week-long process with the first two days being mandatory house visits, the third a "free roam" night, then pref day and bid day.
Old 05-24-2015, 07:45 PM
GreekChat Member

Yes, Arkansas State IFC appears very similar to some NPC setups I've seen. See http://www.astate.edu/a/leadership-c...c/recruitment/ including the concept of Rho Chis...
Old 05-24-2015, 07:57 PM
GreekChat Member

Nice spotting, that is indeed my university.