GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > GLO Specific Forums > Alpha > Alpha Xi Delta
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,468
Threads: 115,513
Welcome to our newest member, dizzycmaarleyy5
» Online Users: 1,399
0 members and 1,399 guests
No Members online

Old 10-28-2006, 02:08 AM
GreekChat Member

We have the letters hanging on our walls and we tell the New Members it means Thanks for Joining. I sat down while I was a New Member and figured out waht I thought it could be. My big was teasing me abotu not knowing and I told her what I thoguht it was and I apparently was right because she was SOOOO madand she thought someone let it slip! It was really funny!
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 11-12-2006, 11:47 PM
GreekChat Member

TFJ

I'm from the Iota Delta chapter and I wanted to say that I recently just found out what TFJ REALLY means, for the longest time i was told it meant "thanks for joining", and i believed it.

Xi love and TFJ to all!
Old 11-13-2006, 08:23 PM
GreekChat Member

Yeah, our new member class wouldn't stop badgering our NMOC about what TFJ means. She finally broke down and, in a very dramatic way, told us that it meant, "Thanks for joining." At initiation, we were thrilled to finally learn what it REALLY means. We pretended to be mad at our NMOC, but then we had a group hug and we got over it.

Personally, I like the really meaning better than any fake meaning that people make up to fool people.

TFJ!
Old 11-13-2006, 08:53 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to xi_pinkrose Send a message via Yahoo to xi_pinkrose
tfj

After waiting almost a year and constantly being tease with TFJ and "thanks for joining, We were finally installed as a chapter and all of us had tfj in our aims and our facebook. My boyfriend kept bugging me what does it mean.

So finally I told him it was for our first fox's Thomas frank and john. He still doesn't know the difference.

Heart Sunshine
Old 11-26-2006, 03:23 AM
GreekChat Member

So our most recent new member class knew what TFJ meant a week before initiations. Naturally, we as sisters were very upset.
I was not impressed.

Last edited by fuzzie; 11-26-2006 at 06:56 PM. Reason: link to possible ritual information removed
Old 11-26-2006, 09:14 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ishkeebibble View Post
So our most recent new member class knew what TFJ meant a week before initiations. Naturally, we as sisters were very upset. I was not impressed.
Your post was already removed once by an administrator. You realize that this is a public forum, that more than ONLY Alpha Xi's can see this thread? And by posting that website you are allowing everyone to see it. We have colony members who participate on this thread, and now you've just made it possible for them and everyone else to see it. Instead of stopping the problem and preventing more people from seeing it, you're posting a link so everyone and their grandmother's best friends can go check it out.

Last edited by amanda6035; 11-27-2006 at 01:29 AM.
Old 11-26-2006, 01:45 PM
GreekChat Member

Amanda,

I am sorry. I couldn't remember if I had posted it before. I was not intending to cause a problem, I simply wanted to make others aware of this issue. I apologize for the mess up.
Old 11-26-2006, 06:04 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to tcsparky
Remove it

Good job!! Thanks!!

Last edited by tcsparky; 11-27-2006 at 06:45 PM.
Old 11-26-2009, 07:11 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaXiBaby232 View Post
hey everyone!!! i just joined the greek chat site and i wanted to tell all my sisters helloooo! haha i have some funny stories about pledges guessing what TFJ is, i love it!
HI! I just joined too. im from the Beta Epsilon chapter in Monmouth, Illinois.
Old 11-28-2009, 02:31 PM
GreekChat Member

AlphaXiBaby232 joined in 2006 lol

Welcome to GC!!
TFJ!!!

True to Gold and Double Blue, our Alpha Xi
Old 12-04-2009, 09:52 PM
GreekChat Member

^^

Sisters who may be new to the boards...please remember that this is a public forum that anyone can see.

ClemsonMom - you may need to find a sister in an alumnae association near you. Because this is a public forum, we have no way of knowing who you are.

This is one of those things you would have known by listening to what was going on during initiation. Maybe that will help.
Old 12-05-2009, 05:26 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by amanda6035 View Post
^^

Sisters who may be new to the boards...please remember that this is a public forum that anyone can see.

ClemsonMom - you may need to find a sister in an alumnae association near you. Because this is a public forum, we have no way of knowing who you are.

This is one of those things you would have known by listening to what was going on during initiation. Maybe that will help.
TFJ is pretty major, I don't see how that could be easily forgotten

True to Gold and Double Blue, our Alpha Xi
Old 12-05-2009, 09:07 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AXiDMeesh View Post
TFJ is pretty major, I don't see how that could be easily forgotten
You would think...

This really depends on your new member experience. If a chapter doesnt "tease" their NMs with TFJ, the NMs may not necessarily know to listen for it....and then of course, you've got those people who go in one ear and out the other, or arent paying attention during initiation, and as soon as it's over they say "Okay, so is someone going to tell me what TFJ is now?" Seriously? Where you not just paying attention? Do you think the ceremony is just a bunch of words to take up a chunk of time out of your day? Ugh.
Old 12-05-2009, 09:50 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to tcsparky
I suggest you ask your daughter's friend to explain it to you. I think that using "tfj" as a closing or signoff is relatively recent (a decade or so old???) phenomenon. A discussion with some of your chapter sisters could lead you all to figuring out what it means.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClemsonMom View Post
I am an old Alpha Xi from Eastern Michigan University. I was not active as an alum and I only recently got back into the greek thing now that my daughter is in college and she went greek. But, I do not recall anything about TFJ. One of my daughter's friends just joined Alpha Xi and she said something about it. I just don't recall it at all. So, I emailed one of my old Alpha Xi sisters and she didn't recall ever hearing TFJ either. Is this something new? (We graduated in 1980). How do I find out what it means?
Old 12-05-2009, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amanda6035 View Post
You would think...

This really depends on your new member experience. If a chapter doesnt "tease" their NMs with TFJ, the NMs may not necessarily know to listen for it....and then of course, you've got those people who go in one ear and out the other, or arent paying attention during initiation, and as soon as it's over they say "Okay, so is someone going to tell me what TFJ is now?" Seriously? Where you not just paying attention? Do you think the ceremony is just a bunch of words to take up a chunk of time out of your day? Ugh.
Pardon my crash...

She was initiated while Jimmy Carter was in office. Trust me, in 30+ years you might not remember everything from your pledge period/initiation either.

/crash