GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Recruitment General discussion about recruitment.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,466
Threads: 115,513
Welcome to our newest member, Angelow
» Online Users: 2,124
0 members and 2,124 guests
No Members online

Old 08-05-2001, 11:53 AM

Post How is sorority rush/recruitment structured at your school?

OK, I know NPC sorority rush/recruitment has the same basic structure everywhere, but given differences in number and size of chapters, whether they're housed, the possible existence of local sororities, etc., I'm curious as to what happens at different schools. Thought this would also give the PNM's an idea of what to expect. (I'm calling it rush - it's easier to type )

Please state: number of sorority chapters, quota and total, how many have houses, when rush is held, and how your parties are structured.

To answer my own question - My school had 5 NPC sororities, no locals. (Before my local went national, though, we did hold rush alongside the 4 nationals.) Quota was generally 30-32, total was 80. 4 of the 5 were usually at or above total at the end of formal rush.

Formal rush was held in August, before classes started, so the first thing you did as a freshman coming to campus was rush.

When I rushed, one sorority had a house; I gather 2 more have gotten houses and 1 is looking. Most rush activities are held in function rooms in the student center.

Rush goes like this:

Evening 1: Tours of all 5 sororities' rush rooms, followed by an open house.

Day 2: Another open house.

First round of voting. Generally sororities invite back anyone who has spent more than 10 minutes in their rush room.

Evening 2 and Day 3: Informal rush. Sororities with houses generally take PNM's over to their house and show them around. Sororities without houses generally take people for ice cream, coffee, walking tours of the city, etc. PNM's are allowed to spend x hours with each sorority, x determined by the number of sororities they're rushing (more sororities = fewer hours). They can visit up to 4 sororities.

Evening 3: Theme parties in the student center. PNM's can attend up to 3.

After theme parties, second round of voting - whom to invite to pref. Sororities cut *severely* at this point. Voting can go well into the wee hours!

Evening 4: Pref parties, again in the student center. PNM's can attend up to 2.

Pref is followed by a final (short) round of voting, to assemble the bid lists.

Day 5 is bid day.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 08-06-2001, 12:11 AM
GreekChat Member

Hello,
Well at the University of Toronto we have 7 NPC houses, and our quota is 5, total is 45.
It has been structured differently from year to year. Rush always takes place the 3rd week of September
When I went through it was very well planned out: Wed and Thurs was round one, the house tours, friday was the philanthropy day,saturday was an open house and also a catch up round for anyone who missed a day and monday was preference, with bid day on tuesday. On Wed and Thurs we saw all 7 houses, fri we saw 5, and monday we saw 3
That was the most successful year, with a quota of 6. The year after we had a we started tuesday, ended on monday with bid day, same thing this past year. This year Panhel is trying something different, a three day rush, wed-fri with bid day on Monday...
Hope this helps, if you have any more questions just write back.
Old 08-06-2001, 12:38 AM
GreekChat Member

At the University of Iowa Rush is held the week before classes start so freshman can move in early and not have to deal with classes and rushing. This year rush starts August 20th!
- We have 12 NPC sororities (DZ, DG, XO, Tri-Delt, Theta, KKG, AXO, AZD, Gamma Phi, A-Phi, Pi Phi, ADPi)
- All of the chapters are housed (in my opinion - each in a gorgeous house!)
- Campus limit is 120 women per house
- quota is usually between 30 and 37
This is how rush is structured:

Tuesday, Aug 21

· You will get a first glimpse of the UI Greek Community

· Traveling with your recruitment group, you will visit all the chapters on campus.

· These "Welcome Parties" are 30 minutes long—conversation will be light and center around get-to-know-you topics.

· "Welcome Parties" are casual, and since you will be doing a lot of walking in potentially hot weather, comfortable shoes are a must!

Wednesday, Aug 22 & Thursday, Aug 23

· During this second round of parties, you will return to a maximum of nine chapters, for 45 minutes.

· Here you have the opportunity to meet new women within each chapter.

· These parties are also casual

Friday, August 24

· This is Philanthropy Day, meaning the chapters will present to you their philanthropies and you will participate in a service project that will benefit the Iowa City Community and beyond.

· You may attend a maximum of five parties, each lasting 60 minutes.

· According to distinguished VP of recruitment Kelly Lavery, dress is "snappy casual."

Saturday, August 25

· Each woman is allowed to attend a maximum of three preference parties on this night.

· The focus of the evening is sisterhood, so you should be thinking about the chapter that would suit you best.

· VP Lavery’s Attire Tip: "Something you would wear to Homecoming or a winter formal, but not prom."

Experience our story...

------------------
"Behold the turtle, for he only makes progress when he sticks his neck out"
- Former Delta Zeta President Betty Heusch Agler (Xi Chapter)