GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > Entertainment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Entertainment TV, movies, music, books, sports, radio...

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,429
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, Zae_TheCreator
» Online Users: 2,213
1 members and 2,212 guests
Cookiez17

Old 10-03-2002, 05:34 PM
GreekChat Member

Hunting

Since Bow season just started in Indiana this week, I was wondering how ya'll feel about hunting. I grew up hunting, deer, squirrells, rabbits, and also fishing. I really enjoy it. It's exciting, yet relaxing also. I also like the idea of killing my own food. And the best part, is that it keeps the populations from exploding, and keeps people from hitting the animals on the road as much, and keeps them from starving and inbreeding, which has happened at Brown County State Park.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 10-03-2002, 05:44 PM
GreekChat Member

Vinecin is good. mmmm.
Old 10-03-2002, 06:30 PM
GreekChat Member

Re: Hunting

Quote:
Originally posted by Corbin Dallas
Since Bow season just started in Indiana this week, I was wondering how ya'll feel about hunting. I grew up hunting, deer, squirrells, rabbits, and also fishing. I really enjoy it. It's exciting, yet relaxing also. I also like the idea of killing my own food. And the best part, is that it keeps the populations from exploding, and keeps people from hitting the animals on the road as much, and keeps them from starving and inbreeding, which has happened at Brown County State Park.
Come on Down to Texas and we'll go White Tail hunting in the Hill Country. (We have to wait for Nov 1 for gun season to open, although bow season is open here too, its a bit warm for the good hunting yet). My brother in law has a great lease about 2 hours from here and its an amazing location. Everyone in this part of Texas hunts. Its amazing.

I wont eat wild hog tho. Fu*king nasty beasts. Gets all gamey after about 6 minutes of being dead. Not that big of a deal. I dont eat pork either. Some peeps down here eat Javalina, which is a cross between a hog/rat. Thats some sick shit. Not even if I was on Survivor. Ever had Goat? Thats GOOD stuff tho. Tear me up some of that. Now I am rambeling...
Old 10-03-2002, 06:30 PM
GreekChat Member

I live near woodlands, so hunting is very very popular here. I shoot rabbits all the time. (I'm too lazy to get up in the morning to get deer or any game that takes time to get.)
Old 10-03-2002, 07:54 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to LeslieAGD
Thumbs down

I believe that if you are hunting for food/survival, that's fine. However, I find hunting for pure sport disgusting.
Old 10-03-2002, 11:40 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to The1calledTKE Send a message via Yahoo to The1calledTKE
Here is a story of a stupid French hunter...

http://www.iol.co.za/index.php?click...0B216&set_id=1
Old 10-04-2002, 02:12 PM
GreekChat Member

I have hunted since I was 10 - pheasant, duck, deer, and dove.
Old 10-04-2002, 03:35 PM
GreekChat Member

Since I live on a farm and been hunting, I'm for it. And as a Biological Conservation major, I'm still for it. As Corbin says, it keeps the population in check, it kills off the ill, weak and old. If we didn't have hunting, the population of deer, ducks, or whatever game would explode. Since the population rose, the amount of grazing area for the animals would decrease and in turn they would stave and die. Its a viscous cycle. And if we didn't have hunting, Dept of Fish and game would have to use other means of decreasing the population ie capture and relocation (only transfers the problem to somwhere else), poison, and other means which wouldn't mean economically or socially veasible. The main problem is the public, they complain that it's not humane, yada yada. Get over it.
Old 10-04-2002, 04:37 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to UFSigKap
I have been hunting with my family since I was 8 years old.....deer, hogs and turkey. I do not see anything wrong with hunting maybe it is because i grew up in a Southern family.

Sigma Kappa Alumna

University of Florida
Old 10-04-2002, 06:20 PM

Hunting is fine with me as long as it's for food, not sport. Same with fishing.

My grandfather was an avid hunter, but he would only hunt for food. He often hunted deer, and if he got one, he would give some of the venison to his neighbors.

I'd love to learn how to hunt...
Old 10-04-2002, 07:09 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by aephi alum
Hunting is fine with me as long as it's for food, not sport. Same with fishing.
I hear that a lot, but it's not quite so black and white. I hunt because I enjoy, among other things, the sporting aspect of it, and at the end of the day, if I'm successful, the reward is a fine plate of food. If I'm not, there's always next time.

I *am* against poaching and hunting for no other reason than to just kill the animal.

Last edited by jonsagara; 10-04-2002 at 07:11 PM.
Old 10-04-2002, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by jonsagara

I hear that a lot, but it's not quite so black and white. I hunt because I enjoy, among other things, the sporting aspect of it, and at the end of the day, if I'm successful, the reward is a fine plate of food. If I'm not, there's always next time.

I *am* against poaching and hunting for no other reason than to just kill the animal.
That's what I'm getting at... maybe I was unclear, I should have said "not -just- for sport". Obviously there is a sporting aspect to hunting and fishing, but as long as that's not the -only- reason you're out there - if you intend to eat what you shoot or catch - it's fine in my book.
Old 10-04-2002, 08:46 PM
GreekChat Member

So you want to know how I feel about hunting...

Personally I don't hunt. The out of doors really isn't my thing,
on the other hand I grew up in a very out of doors type home. My father does a lot of hunting. It's not just for sport, or to kill something bigger and better. But he hunts what game he enjoys. Mostly he does carribu trips in the Artic Circle, elk hunts in the Rockies, He always hunts locally for deer and turkies. He also does a lot of fishing in the great lakes. He does these hunts because it's a hobby that he enjoys, it's a food source, and for the reason listed below.

Local deer hunting thins out the deer population, which reduces the spread of bovine TB and also provides food to eat. So for us on a local level it is to preserve and regulate agricultural and natural resources.

To add, I grew up in an area of Michigan that our economy is driven by tourism and they way to extend the tourist season is the hunting season. So many businesses depend on hunters to come and spend mony in our towns.

Although I personally don't hunt, I see nothing wrong with it as long as hunters follow all local and federal laws and regulations. I am even certified with my "Hunters Safety" card just to educate myself. Also hunters need to be responsible for there actions in the woods and fields.
Old 10-04-2002, 10:36 PM
GreekChat Member

This thread reminds me of Pulp fiction when they are in the restaurant and Samuel Jackson says "I don't eat anything that sleeps or roots in shit" and John T says "But bacon tastes good, pork chops taste good" HE HE

Back to the question, hunting, like everything else in life is fine in moderation.
Old 10-04-2002, 10:48 PM
GreekChat Member

Use to hunt for food as ate what caught and killed!

After I was a Police Officer havent hunted since, why, Hell Bambie and Thumper dont have guns! People have guns! Now that was sport!

Now I hunt in the Market! Love to fire weapons, but cans work for me!

Cabelas just opened West of my shop!!!!!!!!!!!!

Come visit! Got a great couch to sleep on!

LX Z # 1
Alumni