GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > Chit Chat
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Chit Chat The Chit Chat forum is for discussions that do not fit into the forum topics listed below.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,454
Threads: 115,511
Welcome to our newest member, nathnpetrovo648
» Online Users: 1,508
3 members and 1,505 guests
nathnpetrovo648, Sen's Revenge, Xidelt

Old 04-03-2006, 12:23 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to PhoenixAzul
A situation I'm totaly not prepared for...clothing help!

So we had a current afairs exam in my class today...the prize for the top 10 scores out of all three sections is a ticket to a VERY formal, VERY well attended and VERY cool Press Ball. Not thinking I'd do so well (it covered a lot of stuff from the UK/RO I I had no clue on but made educated guesses!)...I ended up with the highest mark in the class by a fair margin....almost ensuring my spot.

Problem? Like I said, it's very very formal. A student doesn't usually prepare for study abroad by packing a black-tie worthy dress. I'm not sure how to dress for this thing AT ALL. Do I wear a full length gown? Cocktail? Bright colors? dark colors? Do I have to wear heels? What about a coat? I don't want to look like a 15 year old going to homecoming!

Man, I am so not prepared for this. Throw a mile swim or a bike or a run at me, I'd tackle it and give it a good wrestlin'....but dressy events with important people in my field? Deer in headlights.

Soooo...anyone got any bright ideas on how I should dress for this? It's in April and at night, in Belfast. Picture suggestions would be helpful too!!

Help me, O GC Fashionistas!
Old 04-03-2006, 12:41 PM
GreekChat Member

Can you ask the person who awarded you the ball tickets?

You might be able to borrow something from another student, or this could be a great opportunity to buy some fun foreign fashion gown!

I'd say demure is best for a formal-- you want to look classy and elegant. Black tie is as black tie does, so find appropriate attire and take a classmate shopping with you.

If it is very formal, yes full-length, appropriate shoes and well-tailored.

Good luck and have fun!
Old 04-03-2006, 12:47 PM
GreekChat Member

If this is a huge deal, could you find some old newspapers or magazines that covered the event and see what has been worn in the past?? The local library should have some archives of past newspapers/journals.
Old 04-03-2006, 12:52 PM
Banned

They usually have atheltic fit tuxes at rental places so you'll be fine.

-Rudey
Old 04-03-2006, 12:53 PM
Super Moderator

What she said!!

Also, if you're really stuck, most upscale department stores have a shopping service. They have women whose job is to dress people for occasions, or if a person marries into money or such. I have a cousin who does it (and have a photo of her & Fabio to prove it!)
Old 04-03-2006, 01:26 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to PhiMuAmberkins
I always stick to the adage of it's better to overdress than underdress. Good luck! And congrats!
Old 04-03-2006, 01:53 PM
GreekChat Member

How much are you willing to spend? Formal gowns can be quite expensive, outside of the prom dress world.
Old 04-03-2006, 01:59 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by UKTriDelt
How much are you willing to spend? Formal gowns can be quite expensive, outside of the prom dress world.
That's the problem..I'm shopping with an exchange rate that nearly doubles the cost on everything! I've been toying with the idea of going to dress hire. Several places around here offer it. I've got to worry about how much space Ive got left in my suitcase when I come home. Apparently you can get designer dresses for a couple of quid...abeit you don't get to hang on to it.

I've been having a drool-fest at Nordstrom's website...but its all out of my reach.

The other solution is to have one of my formal gowns sent from home...problem? They're all at least 2 sizes too large, since the last time I wore one was last summer, when I was at least 20 lbs heavier.
Old 04-03-2006, 02:04 PM
Super Moderator

I take it you have no one from whom you can borrow a dress? I like the idea of renting a dress - the only place I've heard of that does that will sometimes make you a deal on buying it.
Old 04-03-2006, 02:14 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by PhoenixAzul
That's the problem..I'm shopping with an exchange rate that nearly doubles the cost on everything! I've been toying with the idea of going to dress hire. Several places around here offer it. I've got to worry about how much space Ive got left in my suitcase when I come home. Apparently you can get designer dresses for a couple of quid...abeit you don't get to hang on to it.

I've been having a drool-fest at Nordstrom's website...but its all out of my reach.

The other solution is to have one of my formal gowns sent from home...problem? They're all at least 2 sizes too large, since the last time I wore one was last summer, when I was at least 20 lbs heavier.
I don't think that I would want to shell out so much money for a dress that you can get for cheaper otherwise. You could have a dress sent from home and find a good tailor to take it in for you.

If you haven't already, check out the sales on the big department stores' websites. Saks, Neiman, Nordstroms are all places where I've found high quality stuff for a lot cheaper than normal.
Old 04-03-2006, 02:14 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by adpiucf
Can you ask the person who awarded you the ball tickets?

You might be able to borrow something from another student, or this could be a great opportunity to buy some fun foreign fashion gown!

That's another thing...geez people here are well dressed...and it's BELFAST, not London or Milan.

All the professor said was that "significant others are not compulsory, welcomed, not compulsory, but dancing will most certainly be". Not sure if he's kidding or what. Last year only professors went, but theyve managed to secure enough space for 10 students + professors.

Oh crap ...oh no...I hope I don't have to bring a date. I never even thought about that.

Just looked up the venue for the event- The Europa Hotel. Single handedly the most expensive hotel in Belfast....and the most bombed hotel in Europe (who keeps track of this stuff?). I couldn't find any pictures from the Press Ball last year, but every other hit from Europa comes up full-length dresses.
Old 04-03-2006, 06:04 PM
Super Moderator

if it is very formal, then a floor length gown is a must. pm dekeguy. he is an american living and practicing law in london and is well traveled. he may be able to offer you some insight .
Old 04-03-2006, 06:05 PM
Super Moderator

oh, and congratulations!!what a neat opportunity.
Old 04-03-2006, 06:48 PM
GreekChat Member

I say go with a full length black dress sheath.....you really can't go wrong with that one.....black slippers to match....heels for dancing? um no......black clutch purse, silver jewerly

The edit button has become my new best friend