GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment

Recruitment General discussion about recruitment.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,417
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, DemetraMau
» Online Users: 1,390
4 members and 1,386 guests
flamboyanttree, Kevin, Xidelt

Old 12-16-2014, 04:21 PM
GreekChat Member

Auburn 2015 Recruitment question...

I'm a collegian and haven't gotten the dates yet for recruitment. I'm applying for internships and need to know when we have to return for pre-recruitment ASAP. My sorority has told me they will not accept my excusal from recruitment this year.
I know the Pi Chi's have to move in on August 4, but if we start on that Sunday the 9th again, 5 days of pre-recruitment seems long for the collegians...
So if anyone is in the know, I'd appreciate your knowledge.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 12-17-2014, 02:01 PM
GreekChat Member

I'm sorry, so excuse me - but I'm confused as to why you'd come to GC to ask when your chapter needs you to return for recruitment. That's a question your chapter can answer. You can contact the Greek Life office and ask what the dates are for recruitment, and then count back from there to estimate when you'll need to return. Is this your first recruitment as an active? I don't think so but then again my memory isn't perfect. so maybe it is.

IMO five days of pre-recruitment work week is NOT VERY LONG to prepare for recruitment!

As for excuses, let me share this - generically speaking, not specific to any one sorority: recruitment is one of the most important obligations and responsibilities of chapter actives. It ensures that the chapter will continue to be strong and healthy. The active members are solely responsible for selecting new members to continue the chapter. In the past, many members skipped recruitment for one reason or another, often without consequences (e.g. fines). That's no longer the case; all members are needed in order to ensure a successful recruitment.
Old 12-17-2014, 02:04 PM
GreekChat Member

^^^

Also, most internships will understand that you have other commitments and need to be back at school by X date. If you're that concerned about them not understanding, then don't detail why you have to be back at school. Just tell them that's when move-in is.
Old 12-17-2014, 05:51 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to DGTess
I'm confused. And yes, I'll be the first to admit we didn't have "work week" or any similar before-school activities, but ...

Don't we tell women ALL. THE. TIME. that their school work (and that includes internships) is the primary reason they're there?

I just do not understand (potentially) jeopardizing an internship.
Old 12-17-2014, 07:10 PM
GreekChat Member

^^^ I agree with you. Yet there is this: excused absences from work week are at the discretion of each chapter. Speaking for myself, I think an education-related internship should be excused. However, we don't know the circumstances of her internship since she is still in the applying stage. Her chapter may not be a strong recruiting chapter and may need "all hands on deck".

I have seen multiple cases of actives requesting to be excused, claiming that the internship was education related, when in fact in it was not. Regardless, to me this is chapter business.
Old 12-17-2014, 07:57 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to DGTess
^^^Agree with you; it's chapter business.

I'd hate to see someone have to turn down the best internship offer she found because her chapter came before her academics. And I've never heard of an internship that wasn't education related, but I certainly don't know all of today's opportunities. But I'm also out of my league because I don't know anything about work weeks.
Old 12-17-2014, 08:35 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to DeltaBetaBaby
And depending on the value of the internship, it might be worth the fines.