GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Recruitment General discussion about recruitment.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,452
Threads: 115,511
Welcome to our newest member, saphqueen
» Online Users: 1,530
1 members and 1,529 guests
navane

Old 07-04-2000, 02:14 AM
Jen_18

Smile What do you look for during rush?

Hi, everyone!! I am going to be a freshman next year, and I am really excited for rush. I was wondering, for all of you that are in sororities or fraternities already, how you decide who to invite back for each set of rush and who gets bids? What kinds of things (good or bad) make you really like someone or decide they are totally wrong for your organization? This message board is really great... I have learned tons on here already! Thanks so much! -Jen
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 07-04-2000, 02:52 AM
gloriajean

You've probably heard it before, but be yourself!

However, one thing, is, if you have a fairly common name that other girls might also have, like Jennifer, Melissa, Lisa, etc. try to wear something that will make you memorable, or try to tell them something that will help them to remember you. ("I'm Melissa from Michigan") If the sorority sisters are meeting 6 Jennifers, it could get tough to remember which was which.

As for what NOT to talk about during rush...no talking about how much you like to drink or party, no swearing (stick to "gosh"), and above all else, be a LADY.
Old 07-04-2000, 02:06 PM
veruca

You guys are right, the exact evaluation and ranking process is supposed to be top secret. I will tell you one thing though. A big thing we always look for is enthusiasm. Act happy to be there and genuinely interested but not too over zealous. Good luck to you guys.
Old 07-04-2000, 02:29 PM
hilton

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally posted by ariesrising:
Is it a decision the whole sorority has to agree on, or if one person is really up on a certain person can they be included because of one voice?
I don't think that one person would be included because of a single voice, but I have heard stories where a rushee was "excluded" because of a single voice (i.e. blackballed).

Old 07-05-2000, 09:48 AM
GreekChat Member

in most chapters, you would have to have done something egregious for one girl to be able to keep you out. the policy is that if the sister would deactivate if you pledged, she can talk to her chapter's adviser and you will be cut on her opinion alone. she has to have a really serious problem with you (like she knows of something horrible you did in high school), not just have a mediocre first impression of you.

you could be cut if several sisters knew of a bad/slutty reputation that you attained at college, or if you just didn't click with several sisters during rush parties. most cuts occur because a rushee just wasn't memorable, or she didn't seem like she'd fit with the group, or because she just didn't click with anybody--but these cuts are based on the opinions of SEVERAL girls, not one.

in some chapters, a majority of actives must vote you in, so it would be difficult for one girl to get you in if everyone else felt lukewarm about you.

[This message has been edited by -sketchball- (edited July 05, 2000).]

[This message has been edited by -sketchball- (edited July 05, 2000).]
Old 07-05-2000, 11:17 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to equeen
Quote:
Originally posted by Jen_18:
...how you decide who to invite back for each set of rush and who gets bids? What kinds of things (good or bad) make you really like someone or decide they are totally wrong for your organization?...
An excellent question!

(a)Enthusiasm, dedication, committment, leadership.

(b)The willingness to serve cheerfully, share ideas, create opportunities, and to make sacrifices.

These are positive things that I'd hope every future sister will embody.

As far as negatives...I would say that the only real negatives I can think of are:

(a) you're rushing just because you want to join a sorority, but haven't really taken the time to evaluate why it's important to you.

(b) you say you want to be a sister, but don't make any effort to participate in the sisterhood, as a rushee or candidate (pledge).

I think both of these are things that a rushee does have control over.

(c) a candidate is unable to bond with her candidate class, or the active sisters.

I rarely see this happening without (a) and (b) already being issues. There have been a few instances where (c) is an issue and it's due to oncompatible personalities...that's when a serious decision must be made, can you be sisterly, if not friendly? Some of my most dedicated sisters aren't and won't ever be friends, but they are committed to the sisterhood, and they can work together as sisters.

Which school will you be going to, Jen?

[This message has been edited by equeen (edited July 05, 2000).]