GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,124
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, znathanhulzeo24
» Online Users: 997
0 members and 997 guests
No Members online

Old 03-19-2013, 10:52 AM
GreekChat Member

I have been researching Theta Upsilon and my understanding was that Ida Shaw Martin wrote rituals and local sororities went to her when they were interested in becoming a National and she would give them the ritual and assist them...She is like the mother of so many sororities!!
Old 03-19-2013, 01:31 PM
Super Moderator

According to the downloaded handbook to which I linked, Ida Shaw Martin said, "Both [Alpha Delta Pi and Phi Mu] were suspended for a few years during the Civil War, owing to the closing of the institution, but were kept alive through the efforts of resident members."

According to the Georgia Wesleyan site, "Civil War [;] Not one year of academic life was lost at Wesleyan during the Civil War, though classes were suspended for two weeks in November 1864, during Sherman’s march through Georgia."

Yes, it's nitpicking, but it's worth noting. Mrs. Martin seems to be such an amazing woman, and I wouldn't try to take that away from her - but she didn't have access to immediate information.
Old 03-19-2013, 04:47 PM
GreekChat Member

Pas, I am interested in Theta Upsilon also. Did you find a link to Mrs. Shaw with Theta Upsilon. Since that group was founded at UC Berkley, I assumed they would have been remote. I did hear that she worked with some women at eastern schools to start new groups.
Old 03-20-2013, 02:41 PM
GreekChat Member

As a Tri Delta, I always thought it would be interesting to somehow peek in on the rituals of the other groups she assisted with and see what kind of overlap there is with ours.

She was an amazing woman. I wish I could have met her.

My recruitment story: My sorority membership changed my life.
Old 03-20-2013, 03:13 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriDeltaSallie View Post
She was an amazing woman. I wish I could have met her.
Me, too. And can you imagine what she could have accomplished in the internet age? I can only imagine the level of correspondence it took to compile her Sorority Handbook. It must have been relentless correspondence with GLO officers, campus officers, etc. And where we'd use an easily edited spreadsheet to keep track of information, she was stuck with pen(cil) and paper, lots of paper.
Old 03-20-2013, 03:51 PM
GreekChat Member

I wanted to contribute to a bit of info...

I do know that Ida Shaw Martin and Mabel Lee Walton were great friends and when Sigma had to give up some of its chapters, I know of at least one of them was "given" to Tri Delta and I believe it was our Gamma Chapter (Sigma Historians, help me out...) and I strongly believe it was because of their friendship.

Also, I think it may have been hinted at (upthread) that Ida and Mabel were both every instrumental in forming the AES.

That is my tiny contribution to this thread.

I revere both of these ladies because of their contributions to both of their organizations, "greekdom" and the world in general.

The edit button has become my new best friend
Old 03-20-2013, 03:58 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to NutBrnHair
I know this will probably be misinturpreted, but...

As accomplished as Ida Shaw Martin was (no doubt), it's interesting to me (as a Chi Omega, of course) that when Baird's Manual was FINALLY dedicated to a Greek woman -- Mary Love Collins of Chi Omega was chosen.
Old 03-20-2013, 04:30 PM
GreekChat Member

There were a number of women who played vital roles in their own organizations, AES, and NPC. Mabel Lee Walton, Mary Love Collins, Amy Burnham Onken, Dr. May Agness Hopkins, L. Pearle Green (who served twice as chairman 40 years apart - the world in 1909 was quite different than 1949), and many more. Oh to be a fly on the wall of a random early 1900's NPC meeting!

Last edited by nyapbp; 03-20-2013 at 05:07 PM. Reason: error
Old 03-20-2013, 04:31 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NutBrnHair View Post
As accomplished as Ida Shaw Martin was (no doubt), it's interesting to me (as a Chi Omega, of course) that when Baird's Manual was FINALLY dedicated to a Greek woman -- Mary Love Collins of Chi Omega was chosen.
That is indeed noteworthy. But I wonder if it could have had anything to do with the fact that by the time the Baird's editors finally saw fit to dedicate an edition to a woman (18th ed., 1968), Mary Love Collins was still living, while Ida Shaw Martin had been dead for many years.
Old 03-20-2013, 05:15 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to NutBrnHair
True that.
Old 03-25-2013, 02:30 AM
Banned

There is a copy of the sorority handbook for sale on eBay if anyone was interested.....it's listed cheap...

Just an FYI....
Bg
Old 03-25-2013, 09:35 AM
GreekChat Member

Well if anything, Ida Shaw Martin's name is much better know than Mary Love Collins. I think her influence has been felt much farther.

AOII

One Motto, One Badge, One Bond and Singleness of Heart!