GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > GLO Specific Forums > Kappa > Kappa Alpha Psi

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,124
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, znathanhulzeo24
» Online Users: 1,055
2 members and 1,053 guests
indygphib, Sarak24034
Closed Thread

Old 05-02-2006, 05:42 PM
GreekChat Member

* You don't say "soror" unless you are in a sorority.

* Do not wear their colors if you are an interest (at least not to their functions)

I Stay Woke!!
Old 05-02-2006, 06:09 PM
GreekChat Member

Re: Re: One GC clearly needs to know...

Quote:
Originally posted by unknown2u

Again you do not get respect you EARN respect. Age does not make you ENTITLED to respect. The youngest people to me are worthy of much praise then some of the older ones. Jesus was 12 years old when he started his ministry and the Pharisees were 40 and up. Whou think deserves more respect??? Age aint nothing but a number!!! So in other words just cause you old does not mean you cannot get called out!
It's the truth, people know it but they will never admit it.
Rhetorical questions: Based on what I see @ work, I'm a bit skeptical about asking these questions, but I will.
Do you respect your grandparents? Your mother? Your father? Your aunts? Your uncles?

If you are interested in an organization, do you respect that org's Founders? If you say "no" to the last one... why bother?

You don't have to respect the person, but respect the position of the person (having more experience)...
Old 05-02-2006, 06:10 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to jubilance1922 Send a message via Yahoo to jubilance1922
I love how folks who AREN'T members of Sigma Gamma Rho like to tell us what is trival. If we don't like being called "Rho" , why is it anyone's role to judge the "importance" of what we would like to be called.

That's like if your name was Samantha, and EVERYONE you met just shortened your name to Sam without asking your preference. Would you think it was trival then?

Its about respect folks. If I feel that its disrepectful to call me a different name than one I choose to use, how can you discount my feelings? They're MINE.

Let's try to avoid telling other folks how they should feel about nicknames, ok?
Old 05-02-2006, 06:28 PM
GreekChat Member

Re: Re: Walking the Line...

Quote:
Originally posted by Rain Man
I'm sorry, Marquise. I'm cool wit'cha' and got no beef with you, (chicken or fish maybe, but no beef), but whoever conceived a lot of these taboos are too full of themselves and need to humble up a bit.

My issues with your taboos listed are as follows

1. Trivial
2. Idolatrous (Just because you worship your letters don't mean I have to as well).
3. Are you talking official organization-sanctioned song or an unofficial party song? If the latter, they need to get a life and get over themselves.
4. This is the only "taboo" I actually agree with.
5. Again, that is trivial and in the long run, a heckuva lot less disrespectful than other names one could use to address them. Pick your battles wisely.
6. I have no opinion on this one way or the other.
7. Thank God this doesn't transcend to APQ and GSS (where we address one another as "frat" and "soror" on the regular with no beef whatsoever--AFAIK)
8. If it's due to National organizational protocol, I understand. Otherwise, again, it's a trivial rule.

The problem I have with most of these taboos is that IMHO they are steeped in arrogance and self-importance under the guise and illusion of "respect".
^^^ Isn't in a BGLO so his opinion really doesn't matter.
Old 05-02-2006, 06:28 PM
GreekChat Member

Re: Re: Re: One GC clearly needs to know...

Quote:
Originally posted by AKA2D '91
Rhetorical questions: Based on what I see @ work, I'm a bit skeptical about asking these questions, but I will.
Do you respect your grandparents? Your mother? Your father? Your aunts? Your uncles?

If you are interested in an organization, do you respect that org's Founders? If you say "no" to the last one... why bother?

You don't have to respect the person, but respect the position of the person (having more experience)...
Exactly, soror. It isn't about the age, it is about the wisdom, the experience, the lessons that you can learn from that person.
Old 05-02-2006, 06:35 PM
GreekChat Member

There are some things on the list that may be disrespectful but a lot of it is about context. Most of this stuff is based on:

where you're from
where you are
how you're "made"
how old you are in human years and/or Greek years
whether you give a damn

If I'm joking around with a Krappa friend, I'll shimmy. If I'm joking with my Ape friends I will throw up their sign and do an Ape call. If a Bruh says "wassup Soror," I'll show him Coleman Love.
Old 05-02-2006, 06:59 PM
GreekChat Member

Location: Studio 33 (aka The Bob Barker Studio), CBS Television City
Re: Re: Re: Walking the Line...

Quote:
Originally posted by DSTCHAOS
^^^ Isn't in a BGLO so his opinion really doesn't matter.
So you say

Just K.I.M., willya?
Old 05-02-2006, 07:04 PM
GreekChat Member

Re: Re: Re: Re: Walking the Line...

Quote:
So you say
Duh.
Old 05-02-2006, 07:17 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
If I'm joking around with a Krappa friend, I'll shimmy.
LOL @ Krappa
= Because you're a semester too late
= Because you love to imitate
Old 05-02-2006, 07:20 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by jubilance1922
I love how folks who AREN'T members of Sigma Gamma Rho like to tell us what is trival. If we don't like being called "Rho" , why is it anyone's role to judge the "importance" of what we would like to be called.

That's like if your name was Samantha, and EVERYONE you met just shortened your name to Sam without asking your preference. Would you think it was trival then?

Its about respect folks. If I feel that its disrepectful to call me a different name than one I choose to use, how can you discount my feelings? They're MINE.

Let's try to avoid telling other folks how they should feel about nicknames, ok?
I feel you
= Because you're a semester too late
= Because you love to imitate
Old 05-02-2006, 08:13 PM
GreekChat Member

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Walking the Line...

Quote:
Duh.
Meaning:

Frankly, I couldn't give two snots about what you say, Delta or otherwise.

Keep it moving, keep it moving...
Old 05-02-2006, 09:34 PM
GreekChat Member

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Walking the Line...

Quote:
Frankly, I couldn't give two snots about what you say, Delta or otherwise.
Sure you could.
Old 05-02-2006, 10:24 PM
GreekChat Member

I'll just say this, pointblank.

You know how I roll, I tell it like it is and if ya' don't like it, that's too dang bad, just K.I.M.

Frankly, if it was indeed an elder or a Founder that made these items being mentioned here taboo, that might make a difference. Because then, these taboos would be based in wisdom that was steeped in social maturity.

But frankly, that is clearly not the case here (at least I'm not naive enough to believe it).

A lot of these so-called taboos appear to have came from a recent generation (recent being the last 20 years or so--give or take maybe 5) of Greeks that were former nobodies who once they got their letters, they thought they were hot shnit and that no one could touch them, so they strutted around campus with their chests poked out and all puffed up letting their egos get totally out of control.

I am sorry, I don't care if you have been in the organization 30, 50, or 100 years, I personally cannot recognize you as an elder if your words lack WISDOM. And of the 8(?) taboos the OP posted, only one of them appeared to have any wisdom lying beneath it. One or two others I found debateable as far as wisdom was concerned. The rest was laced with ego, with no wisdom to be found. And it is for that reason that I am hard pressed to respect those "taboos".

I give great respect to that which has wisdom. I give little or no respect at all to that which has ego. And I make no apologies whatsoever for it.
Old 05-02-2006, 10:26 PM
GreekChat Member

Re: Re: Re: Walking the Line...

Quote:
Originally posted by marquise1911
My taboos aren't set in stone, but they're set in my head and my mama said my head is hard as a rock...lol!!!
Just don't head butt me and we'll be a'ight.
Old 05-02-2006, 11:48 PM
GreekChat Member

Re: One GC clearly needs to know...

Quote:
Originally posted by SKEEphistAKAte
Take notes folks:

NEVER DISRESPECT YOUR ELDERS... and we were taught not only to respect elders of Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority, Inc. but those of other D9 organizations. It seems that most younger members of orgs these days have no grasp of that concept. I don't care if the elder member is reading your the riot act over something that doesn't even pertain to you. You are to STFU, smile, and respectfully nod.
I second that! Also, Unspoken2, the Bible tells us to respect our elders also. But I was taught that waaaayyy before I was made. That is a rule in the SOUTH! And you better reply with a "yes ma'am/yes "sir".