GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > GLO Specific Forums > Alpha > Alpha Phi Alpha

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,125
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, PiperJarma
» Online Users: 1,072
1 members and 1,071 guests
No Members online

Old 12-01-2005, 06:56 PM
GreekChat Member

Wilt

Wilton Norman Chamberlain was a member of Alpha Phi Alpha at
Kansas U. His pal, Maurice "Reese" King was a Kappa and both were very popular at KU. I was there then....Erik P Conard, TKE
Old 12-01-2005, 10:28 PM
GreekChat Member

Wilt Chamberlain was not an Alpha. He is mentioned in the Kappa history book as a Kappa.
Old 12-08-2005, 01:39 AM
GreekChat Member

Re: Wilt

Quote:
Originally posted by Erik P Conard
Wilton Norman Chamberlain was a member of Alpha Phi Alpha at
Kansas U. His pal, Maurice "Reese" King was a Kappa and both were very popular at KU. I was there then....Erik P Conard, TKE
That's right. Wilt Chamberlain is a Kappa. Where do you get your information Erik P Conrad? I think you might mistook the fraternities.
Old 12-24-2006, 12:59 PM
GreekChat Member

Red face Honorary Member's

Most of the list provided for the alpha's were honorary members.
From MLK to Manley to Frederick Douglas. Question? Does Frederick Douglas know that he is an alpha? He was given this honorary distinction after he was dead. Can we truly call him an alpha? This is the reason why the NPHC was formed, because of the alphas doing these types of things. (Look it up if you don't believe me) However, they are not the only ones. The vast majority of these organizations do these things for money purposes and to claim their accomplishments as their own. Whenever these lists are printed most of the prominent members are honorary. These same marketing tools are used to lure new members. Why? I wonder how many of these people would still have pledged these orgs. if they knew the truth from the beginning? Shameful. Some of these people never even saw the inside of a university.

How do you feel about this honorary thing and the way it is used to fool people?
Old 12-24-2006, 01:26 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by baccustd View Post
From MLK to Manley to Frederick Douglas. Question? Does Frederick Douglas know that he is an alpha? He was given this honorary distinction after he was dead. Can we truly call him an alpha? This is the reason why the NPHC was formed, because of the alphas doing these types of things. (Look it up if you don't believe me) However, they are not the only ones. The vast majority of these organizations do these things for money purposes and to claim their accomplishments as their own. Whenever these lists are printed most of the prominent members are honorary. These same marketing tools are used to lure new members. Why? I wonder how many of these people would still have pledged these orgs. if they knew the truth from the beginning? Shameful. Some of these people never even saw the inside of a university.

How do you feel about this honorary thing and the way it is used to fool people?

Posthumous honorary induction OF COURSE precludes the person's knowledge and consent. Especially when you passed away in 1895 before the fraternity was founded. But none of that matters because someone obviously gave it the go ahead years ago.

As far as the rest of your post, I hypothesize that the average aspirant doesn't care too much who the famous or prominent members are and whether or not those famous or prominent members are honorary. I have YET to have an aspirant at the collegiate or alumnae level admit to me that she became interested in Delta AFTER seeing a list of famous or prominent and/or honorary members.
Old 12-24-2006, 02:32 PM
GreekChat Member

Here we go again.....

The majority of these members are NOT honorary.

Not that I have to justify it, but please let it be known that Martin Luther King PARTICULARLY is not honorary.

Otherwise, DSTCHAOS is right.... it's not like our orgs are saying "Join us! Alicia Keys/Hubert Humphrey/Sheryl Lee Ralph/The Temptations/etc are all members!" then you cross and everyone says "Psyche your mind!"

Old 12-24-2006, 02:56 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by baccustd View Post
Whenever these lists are printed most of the prominent members are honorary. These same marketing tools are used to lure new members. Why? I wonder how many of these people would still have pledged these orgs. if they knew the truth from the beginning? Shameful. Some of these people never even saw the inside of a university.
MLK was not an honorary member of Alpha. He became an Alpha Spring 1952 at Sigma chapter http://www.17th-house.com/chapter/lineage/50-59.htm

Most famous members of NPHC organization are not honorary members. Especially with Omega, Kappa, and Alpha. Alpha hasn't given honorary membership since Hubert Humphrey in the 1960's. Kappa never gave out honorary membership. And Omega rarely gives out honorary membership. In fact, most famous individuals who became Omegas, approached Omega FIRST, not the opposite way around. Therefore, inducting famous members is not a marketing tool.

You stated, "Some of these people never even saw the inside of a university." Most famous people who join NPHC organizations went to college. Yes, there is an extremely small number who did not, but most did.
Old 12-24-2006, 06:17 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senusret I View Post
Otherwise, DSTCHAOS is right.... it's not like our orgs are saying "Join us! Alicia Keys/Hubert Humphrey/Sheryl Lee Ralph/The Temptations/etc are all members!" then you cross and everyone says "Psyche your mind!"

LOL!

"Just my imagination....."
Old 12-24-2006, 06:19 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackbird View Post
Kappa never gave out honorary membership.
They did many years ago.
Old 12-24-2006, 10:04 PM
GreekChat Member

Cool FYI

Quote:
Originally Posted by sphinxpoet View Post
Alpha Brothers currently serving as
President or in Leadership of Higher Educational Institutions.

Oswald P. Bronson, Sr., Ph.D - .President - Bethune-Cookman College - Daytona Beach, FL
My grandfather was the president of Bethune-Cookman College before Dr. Bronson became president. My grandfather was inducted into membership of Alpha Phi Alpha Fraternity, Inc. in 1951.

Right now, the new president of BCC is a member of Delta Sigma Theta Sorority, Inc.

"Yo soy una mujer negra" ~Zoe Saldana
Old 12-26-2006, 01:35 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSTCHAOS View Post
Posthumous honorary induction OF COURSE precludes the person's knowledge and consent. Especially when you passed away in 1895 before the fraternity was founded. But none of that matters because someone obviously gave it the go ahead years ago.

As far as the rest of your post, I hypothesize that the average aspirant doesn't care too much who the famous or prominent members are and whether or not those famous or prominent members are honorary. I have YET to have an aspirant at the collegiate or alumnae level admit to me that she became interested in Delta AFTER seeing a list of famous or prominent and/or honorary members.
Exactly!

What some folks on the outside looking in need to understand is that WITHIN our respective orgs., we look at OUR members for the qualities that they possess, not their "marketing value." Each and every org. has members that are "famous" in their own right, even though they may not be "famous" by the overwhelming majority of society's standards.
Old 12-26-2006, 04:16 PM
GreekChat Member

Honorary Members

I don't have a problem with the induction of honorary members, as long as they know that to most of us whom are already members of whatever organization they are inducted into (in this case A PHI A), aren't fazed by their membership. Hell, in my opinion, some of the chapters that belongs to all Black Greek Letter Orgs., have an 'intake' process that might as well be like that of an Honorary Induction. Forgive me, I digress. Anyway, I have met both Charles Mann, and Charles Hailey, both of whom played ball in the NFL, and they were both down to Earth, and no one treated them as coveted Bruhs. It's all about the blanket of welcome that's present when these men and women become Bruhs and Sorors, and its all about you operating with an air of distinguished regality as a member yourself, so that when they meet you, its you whose shine blazes like the stars.

The 7th Son of Osiris,
Old 07-11-2008, 08:58 PM
GreekChat Member

OK, so this is an old thread---BUT there's a question I'd like some help with. I've been seeing in a couple of places that Syndney Poitier is a brother, but I've never heard this before...can anyone shed some light on the accuracy of this information? It'd be cool if true, but I've been around for a while and was unaware.
Old 07-12-2008, 05:26 AM
GreekChat Member

He is not a Brother.
Old 07-12-2008, 10:27 AM
GreekChat Member

that's what I thought---but I've seen him, and Jackie Robinson as well, listed as such on a number of chapter websites. I wonder how that got started--probably on some "wouldn't it be great if ( ) was an Alpha man?" and having it pass from conjecture to fact....

I'd swap Marion Barry for Sydney Poitier right about now (j/k)

I'm gonna start a rumor that Lawrence Fishburne (probably my favorite actor) is an Alpha!!!!! lol