GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > GLO Specific Forums > Alpha > Alpha Phi Alpha

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,125
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, PiperJarma
» Online Users: 1,699
2 members and 1,697 guests
flamboyanttree, LaneSig

Old 03-09-2001, 01:29 PM
GreekChat Member

Angry Human Cloning

What's up Bros. I just recently read an article on human cloning. Apparently, there are 600 to 700 couples in Italy who are on a waiting list to participate in an experiment designed to create cloned children. WTF!!?? I'm struggling to see how the human race can benefit from cloning humans. Obviously, there is a religious issue to human cloning (playing God, etc.). However, I fail to recognize the medical or social benefit of human cloning. Some say human cloning can help provide organs for organ transplants. But, how do you tell another human being that their only purpose for existence is to serve as spare parts for someone else. I don't know Bruhs..do you follow me? Am I missing something or failing to see the big picture? What are your opinions on the matter? Can cloning humans be beneficial to the human race? Let me know what you think.
Old 03-09-2001, 03:20 PM
GreekChat Member

Hope you don't mind a sista's take on this mess...

Initially, I could only think of the racial implications on how people can selectively commit genocide and create humans that are of say, the 'aryan persuasion'.

After reading this article in Wednesday's Washington Post: http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...-2001Mar6.html

I am more concerned of the potentially unhealthy aspects of it. While reading the article, I began to have visions of the movie: The Fly. Gruesome. All in all, I think it's a crime against God and life as we know it. I believe in knowing and exploring new technologies; yet, somethings are better left undiscovered!

Just my two lil brown pennies!

------------------
"Unless you know the road you've come down, you cannot know where you are going"
~Temme proverb, Sierre Leone~
Old 03-09-2001, 03:49 PM
GreekChat Member

Reading that article made me think of X-Men the movie. I didn't know that cloned humans would look different or abnormal. That just raises even more issues....
Quote:
Originally posted by jazbri:
Hope you don't mind a sista's take on this mess...

Initially, I could only think of the racial implications on how people can selectively commit genocide and create humans that are of say, the 'aryan persuasion'.

After reading this article in Wednesday's Washington Post: http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...-2001Mar6.html

I am more concerned of the potentially unhealthy aspects of it. While reading the article, I began to have visions of the movie: The Fly. Gruesome. All in all, I think it's a crime against God and life as we know it. I believe in knowing and exploring new technologies; yet, somethings are better left undiscovered!

Just my two lil brown pennies!

Old 03-09-2001, 04:10 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to The Original Ape
Cool

Dayum Bruh; I feel the same way about that shit. One would think they learned their lesson from all of the research and mistakes trying to come up with a safe way to do bacterial/viral warfare(aids).
Old 03-10-2001, 09:42 PM
GreekChat Member

I didn't see in the article the scientists reasons for developing human clones...Are they doing this just to say - look I did it!

I love Science - but some experiments should not be conducted.

------------------
Alpha Kappa Alpha
17-Alpha Phi-91
Alpha Psi Omega
Old 03-11-2001, 01:25 AM
GreekChat Member

Unhappy

Wait a minute guys & gals...

1st off: Any kind of cloning of a mammal takes an unfertilized "egg" that has the "genetic stuff" removed from it. Then a "generic" cell's genetic material is "injected" into the egg and somehow, voila! The egg divides and forms a whole living organism? Many embryonic developmental questions can be answered with this method. But it took the scientists 10 years to get it to work... And some scientists are saying that the sheep really isn't a clone... Notice how this researcher hasn't gotten a Nobel prize for it???

2ndly, human cloning is just plain stupid for folks to do. When you have a whole bunch of clones (they are the same, gene by gene) they can be readily wiped out by an infectious agent or poison... There is no diversity added. That is why God developed diversity in the first place so that we couldn't be readily wiped out by various things... Then, there ain't nuthin' like the "real thang baby"...

Lastly, making human organs from clones can be done in vitro--meaning in a "test tube" with no "body" attached--much like Robin Williams' "Centennial Man" movie. Biotech isn't interested in dealing with full humans, they are pretty much like a "chop shop" for stolen cars--you can get more money sellin' off the parts than buyin' the whole thang...

Now, to really bother some of you... What should we do with all the human frozen eggs and embryos that have to be thrown away, anyway? Some embryos are "not useful" and if implanted, the woman will miscarry them anyway (spontaneous abortion). All mammalian females form their eggs before they are born... So, if a 32 year old woman that hasn't been pregnant before means that her eggs are 32 years old... Women generally have over a million-hundred million eggs--ONLY ONE is released during ovulation (without drugs or weirdness occuring--in the case of fraternal twinning or multiples) per month. And menstruation occurs if the egg is unfertilized... Soooo??? Now what?
Old 03-31-2001, 10:31 PM
GreekChat Member

Red face

I don't know about anybody else, but I would LOVE to have like two or three of mees [sic] around. I could send one to work for me, the other to school, the other to do my dirty work!

Seriously people:
If anyone reads The Wall Street Journal, there was a very frightening article about 6 weeks ago that chronicled the progress of human cloning and the custom designing of insects. Within the body of the article it stated that laboratories were successful in capturing genes that had desired effects parasitic bugs known for crop destruction.
My point is this people.
"People" are hard at work in laboratories trying to isolate DNA and RNA that will affect only "certain" sectors of the population...we have good reason to be very afraid of the strides that scientists are making in the name of biological breakthroughs.....