GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > Dating & Relationships

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,125
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, PiperJarma
» Online Users: 1,594
1 members and 1,593 guests
Sen's Revenge

Old 02-22-2008, 02:51 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhoenixAzul View Post
http://www.etsy.com/view_listing.php?listing_id=8478184

Any thoughts? Hints? Help? I'm wedding challenged at times.
these are definately nice necklaces. i don't wear a lot of necklaces because i tend to break them, but this is something that i could easily see myself wearing.

ok, i got my bridesmaid's gifts yesterday. i am very excited and i actually want one for myself. i found some kate spade bags on serious discounts. the were marked down about $100, then were 50% off...plus an additional 20% off. i truly felt like i stole them! i kept asking the salesperson if she was sure about the 70% off the already discounted price...not the origional price. i hope the girls like them! i will probably pick up some things that go in purses (mints, an umbrella that folds flat), too.
Old 02-22-2008, 04:31 PM
GreekChat Member

Here is an proposal from some people I knew at Tuskegee Univ. The guy is a Kappa so toward the end there will be a serenade.

My eyeballs leaked a little.......LOL

http://uab.facebook.com/video/video....2509947&ref=nf

BY the way it is on FB so I guess you woulld need an account to see it.
Old 02-22-2008, 07:43 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkyphimu View Post
these are definately nice necklaces. i don't wear a lot of necklaces because i tend to break them, but this is something that i could easily see myself wearing.

ok, i got my bridesmaid's gifts yesterday. i am very excited and i actually want one for myself. i found some kate spade bags on serious discounts. the were marked down about $100, then were 50% off...plus an additional 20% off. i truly felt like i stole them! i kept asking the salesperson if she was sure about the 70% off the already discounted price...not the origional price. i hope the girls like them! i will probably pick up some things that go in purses (mints, an umbrella that folds flat), too.
that's awesome!!!

need an extra bridesmaid?

hehehe j/k
Old 02-28-2008, 08:07 AM
GreekChat Member

Ugh, the last two nights I've had the worst wedding dreams. One night, all of my bridesmaids dropped out and found girls to stand in for them who fit into the dresses. It was weird b/c the girls they found were other sisters, but younger ones from after I graduated.

Then we went to the bridal shop and they ordered the wrong dress. Then they said there wasn't enough time to order the right dress and I would have to wear the one that came it. It was halter, with a pick-up skirt-not a flattering style for me.

Then last night I had dreams that one of the florists I met with, but didn't pick came over to the florist's shop I did pick and started demanding what she did wrong.

Way weird. At least the dress is really ordered and the florist deposit is made.
Old 03-02-2008, 08:03 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to SthrnZeta
Ok, so I went wedding dress shopping this past weekend. It was interesting to say the least. The first place I went to was wonderful. I was taken into a quaint room with couches and a pedestal in front of a mirror. A bra and slip in my size were waiting on an armchair and dresses that she thought I'd like based on our short convo out front were already hanging in the room. I tried on 2 of the 5 she brought and decided the few beads/sequins they had weren't for me and that I wanted to try on something different (see wedding dress thread) and I loved the third dress I tried on she brought me out to the "main stage" to see myself in several mirrors at once, in front of everyone else in the store. Generally had a really good experience there (was with my mom and MOH). So we go eat lunch and then proceed to the other store we had an appt at - an upscale store in a very fru fru shopping center (the type of store you find Vera Wang in) and it was horrible!!! When they finally realized I was there for my APPOINTMENT, she told me to pick some dresses of the rack I liked and she brought them to a room she had to clean first. I walked in and she asked me my bra size (34B) and she brings me 32A and 32B. Neither fit. So she brings me a 34A and a 36B. I know my size lady. So I wear the 36B and I have to help myself into the dresses as she has left the room (she has two other brides she's working with apparently). So my MOH helps me into the first dress and the zipper is broken halfway up and the latch at the top is also broken, not mention there are armpit stains on the dress. I try on a second dress and finally the lady returns, tells me how pretty I look in the dress and farts as she walks out, leaving us with the stench. I try on a third, also broken and costing $2900 and decide those are the only ones in the store I liked anyway and started to put my clothes back on. She walks back in as I'm putting my sweater on and I politely tell her that I think I need to go home and just think about it since I have so long until my wedding anyway and fill out the little info sheet and take her card. She schmoozes us to death as we walk out (in a laughable attempt to win us back over). We drive back to the other place (my mom's car was there) and make an appt for next weekend to bring my dad to see that dress and to profusely thank the women who helped me. THAT was how a shopping experience should be: clean, functional dresses that aren't all out on the racks to be touched by everyone and a salesperson to help you put these ginormous dresses on and take them off, and who listens to you and your opinions and generally makes you feel good about plunking down a huge wad of cash on a garmet you'll only wear once.

Sorry to rant but I laughed my ass off at that second place because not only was I shocked at how bad the place was, but that it was just pathetic that they charged so much for their dresses when their samples were just broken and gross.

If I don't end up buying my wedding dress from the first place, I'm sure I'll buy something there, they were just fabulous.

The end
Old 03-02-2008, 08:45 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SthrnZeta View Post
.... and finally the lady returns, tells me how pretty I look in the dress and farts as she walks out, leaving us with the stench.
Ohhhh...I am laughing so hard that I'm hurting and choking on my supper. My husband has rushed over here, concerned. HAHAHAHAHA!!!!!
Old 03-03-2008, 11:35 AM
GreekChat Member

After researching the costs of weddings in the DC area, my fiance and I decided to go to the courthouse - we just bought a house, and I couldn't see spending the money on a one day party. His parents immediately offered to pay for the entire thing, saying how important it was for us to have our "dream wedding" and how important weddings are. I had hesitations, my fiance convinced me they'd write us a check, we accepted.

They asked for a list of costs - I provided an outline of every cost of a wedding, vendors we liked, estimates of costs, and even images, so they could see what centerpieces we liked, that they'd be paying for. I had it all organized with our top 15 choices of reception venues with prices, photos, etc. Our number one choice was a gorgeous art deco ballroom in the city that was VERY reasonably priced, and happens to be one of my and my fiance's favorite places to go on the weekends. We arranged for his parents to meet us there.

His mother didn't show up because she disliked it so much, and his dad was silent while we met with their coordinator, then when she left, told us that they'd made arrangements for our wedding at a hotel near their house, and named the DJ, florist and bakers that they'd been meeting with. His parents booked and planned our entire wedding without me even ever seeing this hotel!

The worst part was, I made these gorgeous samples of the invitations I wanted to make, and the centerpieces I wanted - they rejected both, saying they'd order them, and get a florist. They even asked their grandchildren to be ringbearers (granted, I was going to anyway, but I would have liked to at least been the person asking!) Its really really hard to hear that everything that I loved and wanted as part of my dream wedding isn't good enough for them and their millionaire doctor friends.

I could go on and on but I'm still too upset. First time in 8 years that my fiance ever admitted I was right - we should have gone to the courthouse. Too late to back out now.
Old 03-03-2008, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cardinal026 View Post

I could go on and on but I'm still too upset. First time in 8 years that my fiance ever admitted I was right - we should have gone to the courthouse. Too late to back out now.
Aww. You may have already tried this, but have you and your fiance sat down with them and told them how you guys feel? And is it really too late for you to just go to the courthouse lol?

Lakers Nation.
Old 03-03-2008, 12:10 PM
GreekChat Member

My fiance did - and they were very clear that they didn't feel that the wedding I envisioned was going to be adequate for their family and friends, and that now that they got to pay for it, it was important that they host an affair that would be "good enough" for their side.

The reason I say that its too late to back out is because he actually asked - if we said "thank you so much for your offer, but we feel that this is not quite what we had hoped for, and rather than have you spend so much money on an event that isn't really 'us,' we think we'd like to go to the courthouse afterall." His father said that it would be a huge slap in the face to MIL and him, and wasn't really up for debate - they have people already planning on coming.

It sounds like something out of a terrible $.99 novel, lol - at this point, I just want to hurry up and get it over with.
Old 03-03-2008, 12:18 PM

Wow I can't believe that they would say that to you guys. You would think that they'd just want you to be happy, but I guess not everyone's parents are that sweet.

Lakers Nation.
Old 03-03-2008, 03:32 PM
GreekChat Member

Location: location, location... isn't that what it's all about?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cardinal026 View Post
My fiance did - and they were very clear that they didn't feel that the wedding I envisioned was going to be adequate for their family and friends, and that now that they got to pay for it, it was important that they host an affair that would be "good enough" for their side.

The reason I say that its too late to back out is because he actually asked - if we said "thank you so much for your offer, but we feel that this is not quite what we had hoped for, and rather than have you spend so much money on an event that isn't really 'us,' we think we'd like to go to the courthouse afterall." His father said that it would be a huge slap in the face to MIL and him, and wasn't really up for debate - they have people already planning on coming.

It sounds like something out of a terrible $.99 novel, lol - at this point, I just want to hurry up and get it over with.
It's horrible that that is the way you feel about it now. And if you haven't been crystal clear that that is now how you look at your wedding day, you should. It's awful they would take that away from you and leave you feeling you just can't wait until it's over!

Would it be sort of a compromise if you and your fiance took off for Hawaii or Vegas or the courthouse and do whatever YOU want to actually get married and then let his parents throw you a big formal reception? People usually sit through the church stuff in order to get to the party. I doubt many would be THAT upset they skipped step 1 if they still get to eat and drink and have a good time for free.

At least that way you will have gotten married the way you wanted to and they still get to show off for their ritzy friends.

My mother-in-law was a jerk when we were planning our wedding too and insisted on throwing a morning-after brunch at the place she wanted us to have the wedding and/or reception (which I refused). I went along with her doing the brunch because it kept her out of my hair (kind of) regarding the wedding day itself (although she put it down every time she had a chance during the planning) and I really didn't care what happened after our day. Well everyone had such a killer time at our wedding and were so hungover the next day that very few even made it to her event. Just our immediate family and my husband's immediate family. She had her big fancy room with intricate centerpieces she spent hours on, tons of expensive food and drink, and about a dozen of us there. Meanwhile, everyone went on and on about how they'd never seen a lovelier ceremony than ours or had a better time at a wedding/reception especially. I held my tongue, though it was hard, because she and I both knew that I was right and that I had won. Heh heh.
Old 03-03-2008, 04:17 PM
GreekChat Member

Cardinal, I hate to break it to you but this is a preview of your life if you let them get by with this. H and I paid for our wedding b/c I knew my Mom is a control freak and would turn it onto her wedding and not mine. FYI this woman will also be telling you where you will be spending every Thanksgiving and Christmas for the rest of her life. Besides, if she pays for this you will be "beholding" to her forever, which is exactly where she wants you. Run, run run to the courthouse or a destination wedding and come back and tell her you did it and if she throws a party, fine, but the wedding will always be yours with your memories. Just my 2 cents.
Old 03-03-2008, 04:43 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to SthrnZeta
^^ Co-sign.

My FIL's are paying for about half of the wedding and reading your story makes me so thankful they're happy to just sit back and offer opinions. My mom, who isn't paying for much besides the dress, is actually the one trying to exercise some control, so I guess money doesn't always play a big role in that. Luckily she had an overbearing mother who planned her entire wedding and is trying to not let that happen to me, but we'll see...
Old 03-04-2008, 07:56 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to ZTAMich
We've got two weddings to buy gifts for. Both are next month & while I'm thinking of buying gifts, I'm trying to do it asap. But it's hard!! I suddenly have much more appreciation for the gifts we got in October (and the people who thought hard about what to get us!) I know what we want to spend for each couple. But I'm deciding btwn buying one item that costs that amount or a few items??? They each gave us nice gifts too.
Old 03-04-2008, 08:21 PM
GreekChat Member

My go-to gift - Deluxe Spicy Wedding - www.penzeys.com I always get ravs about it!

As far as one gift, or several - if the several are related I think that's good.