GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > Chit Chat

Chit Chat The Chit Chat forum is for discussions that do not fit into the forum topics listed below.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,417
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, DemetraMau
» Online Users: 1,408
0 members and 1,408 guests
No Members online

Old 01-10-2002, 02:07 PM
GreekChat Member

Europe

Have any of you been to Europe? If you were backpacking through Europe what would be your must see destinations?
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 01-10-2002, 03:46 PM
GreekChat Member

Question ?

How much time do you have??? And what would you like to focus on? That would help a lot, because otherwise it is really hard to tell you where to start.....
Old 01-10-2002, 03:54 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to lovelyivy84
When you get there, don't do bus tours. They're a waste of your time since you never really get time ti see anything. You're better going it with a map and a tall, dark and friendly....

oh sorry, what were we discussing?
It may be said with rough accuracy that there are three stages in the life of a strong people. First, it is a small power, and fights small powers. Then it is a great power, and fights great powers. Then it is a great power, and fights small powers, but pretends that they are great powers, in order to rekindle the ashes of its ancient emotion and vanity.-- G.K. Chesterton
Old 01-10-2002, 05:33 PM
GreekChat Member

Go get Rick Steve's "Europe Through the Back Door" guide for this year. It has TONS of wonderful information, including how to plan your trip, where to stop, money-saving, travelling alone, etc. I can't say enough about it! It's well worth the money - I got one for Christmas and can't wait to put it to use!
Old 01-10-2002, 05:40 PM
GreekChat Member

Id go to Germany. Last time I was there was when I was like 6 months old, so things are "alittle foggy"
Old 01-10-2002, 06:54 PM
GreekChat Member

If you're planning to travel on a budget, Rick Steves is good, as well as the Let's Go series. I got Let's go Europe, which is really general and geared towards students, and they have books for each country and major cities (London, Paris, Rome, Florence, Amsterdam, etc.).
Old 01-11-2002, 02:44 AM
GreekChat Member

Arrow Don't forget lil' Belgium...

Many people skip over Belgium on their European tours. What a mistake! I found Belgium to be one of the more interesting stops on all of the Europe trips I've taken. The people are so friendly too!

Amsterdam is fabulous too. There are a number of Indonesian restaurants there, thanks to Dutch colonial links. I have a good friend who lives there and she says Indonesian food is almost considered to be part of the national cuisine! Look for "Rijsttafel." It is kind of like the "Pu-Pu Platters" that you can get at some Chinese restaurants, except you get much more. Ours came with an array of about 20 interesting dishes, served with rice. My husband and I really enjoyed the Indonesian cuisine in Amsterdam. Mmmm!

The most moving part of our trip to the Netherlands/Amsterdam was the tour through the Anne Frank house. It is definitely a must see.

Old 01-11-2002, 06:36 AM
GreekChat Member

Europe

Well, I currently am living in Germany and I really like it. If you were to take a backpacking trip through Europe, I would recommend absolutely seeing Copenhagen, Hamburg, Munich, Amsterdam, Cologne, Vienna (if you can....it is kind of out of the way, but totally stunning and fun), northern Italy (especially in Springtime) and Prague. I think you will have a blast. Feel free to PM me if you need specific information or detailed recommendations.
Old 01-11-2002, 11:09 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Peaches-n-Cream
I was in Europe two years ago for two weeks. I went to England and France. I found the bus tours to be nice. I went on two in Paris. One took us to the Louvre and Notre Dame and the second to Versailles. I would strongly recommend that. I also got a three day pass for Le Metro (subway) so we did some exploring on our own. Paris has an amazing history and some incredible museums. The only drawback was that I went in July and it was so crowded. It was a two hour wait for the Eiffel Tower so I passed on that. I loved it!
I went to England where I have family. London is also an amazing city. I saw everything. I took a city bus tour on a doubledecker which was very informative and fun. The theater in London is incredible if you are interested in that. It is kind of difficult to do things spur of the moment in an unfamiliar country so have a plan in advance. Of course, give yourself a day or two to explore. I hope that you have a wonderful time in Europe!
Old 01-11-2002, 11:18 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to SigmaChiCard Send a message via Skype™ to SigmaChiCard
A place that isn't exactly the hot-spot of all euro travelers is Chamonix, France. We were in Geneva, Switzerland which is located basically at the base of the Swiss Alps (which was gorgeous, but it's a skip-over in my opinion) and we didn't like it there, but we were looking at the mountain range one morning and we were like...let's go there, so we did, and it was BY FAR the best part of the trip. You will never find a more perfect (in every respect) place in the world. If you consider going here, I'll try to direct you to this quaint hotel owned and operated by two 20 year old English chicks who liked it there so much, that they never left, and they cook breakfast for you each morning by the fireplace. It's chilly there, but absolutely brilliant. Take some hiking stuff though, you have to get on the mountain, but if you're actually packing then I'm sure that's your intentions.

Amsterdam is much more gorgeous than you might anticipate with Cocentric canals that if you're at all "enlightened" can prove to get you really lost, or really help you find your way home.

I really want to go to Prague, Munich and Florence. That's three of my next stops. If you really want to party then go to Barcelona, and if you're a guy then you'd love it because the women are amazing.

Just don't waste too much travel time hitting big cities everywhere, countryside trains are slow, so if you can take a bus somewhere, do that.

when are you going?

Visit: BackSeat SandBar & MySpace
Old 01-11-2002, 01:59 PM
GreekChat Member

My favorite cities are: Stockholm, Copenhagen, Barcelona, Florence, Venice, Rome, Cinque Terra (it's in Italy), Prague, Bern, Interlaken (stay at Balmer's if you want to party with Greeks).

If you like theater you should go to London.

Of course you should probably go to Paris, but I got stalked there so I don't have the best memories of it.

Lots of people love Amsterdam but I'm not into the whole drug/sex/red light district stuff. It's beautiful and the art there is amazing.

I've never been to Germany, or Austria. I really want to go to Budapest and Vienna.
Old 01-11-2002, 11:21 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by SigmaChiCard
A place that isn't exactly the hot-spot of all euro travelers is Chamonix, France. We were in Geneva, Switzerland which is located basically at the base of the Swiss Alps (which was gorgeous, but it's a skip-over in my opinion) and we didn't like it there, but we were looking at the mountain range one morning and we were like...let's go there, so we did, and it was BY FAR the best part of the trip. You will never find a more perfect (in every respect) place in the world.
Take me!!!!
Old 01-11-2002, 11:23 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via ICQ to AchtungBaby80 Send a message via AIM to AchtungBaby80 Send a message via Yahoo to AchtungBaby80
I love travelling to Europe, so I don't really know where to start! First of all, I've never been backpacking, so I can't give you any really good advice there...except maybe that if you stay in hostels it's cheaper than hotels, and if you go to Paris you had better know a little bit of French at least. People there can be a bit rude. Beware of the throngs of Asian tourists. The Germans are very nice, and the Swiss are nicer and have a very beautiful country! People in Holland are pretty nice, too, and they seem sort of laid-back. The continent is fine and dandy, but don't forget the United Kingdom and Ireland, though...just because they speak the same language (sort of) that we do, that doesn't mean it's less interesting. Those are definitely my favorite places of all. London can be a little expensive, but it's very nice (especially for shopping...forget Paris and Milan!). Try to get out and see the countryside a bit--it's absolutely beautiful and there's lots and lots of stuff to see. If I were you, I would try to arrange to stay with a European family because it's sooooooo much easier to get the "cultural experience" that way, unless you just want to sight-see.
Old 01-12-2002, 11:13 AM
GreekChat Member

Thumbs up land of the trolls

Since everybody here seems to focus on central and western Europe, I would like to make an argument for northern Europe!

I did some backpacking and train travelling there and it is a must see. Norway with thousands of fjords, glaciers and beautiful cities like Oslo, Bergen and Trondheim. You can cross the polar circle and maybe do a tour to the North Cape, the northern most point in Europe, and look into the arctic sea! (I never made it but during 24h of daylight in the summer, it must be a blast). Sweeden and Finland with wonderful forests and lakes and great cities like Stockholm and Helsinki - very special!! These countries are, by the way, the closest you get to the "north America" experience in Europe as you get - for the only reason that the population density is so low. Be sure to take the day time ferry from Turku(Finnland) to Stockholm (Sweden) across the Baltic Sea for relatively few bucks (it takes about 8 or 10 hrs), so you won't miss the Aland Isles in between. I think there are special train tickets for the Scandinavian countries available.

I am not kidding - try to do it. Of course, Paris, Rome, Munich, London, Amsterdam, Berlin, are all great cities - but everybody does that....
Old 01-14-2002, 11:29 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to queequek
Eastern Europe

I'd love to go to some of the Eastern European countries: Russia, Slovakia, Hungary ...

Moscow and St. Petersburg should be really pretty. And I believe Prague and Warsaw also wonderful, as well as Lucerne or Innsburg or Vienna.

How about Budapest? Or maybe Istanbul (Turkey)?