GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Recruitment Stories

Recruitment Stories This is the forum where you should place posts about your Recruitment experiences. General questions about Recruitment should be posted in the main Recruitment forum.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,123
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, zsamulpitt5293
» Online Users: 1,148
0 members and 1,148 guests
No Members online
Closed Thread

Old 04-13-2012, 12:53 PM
GreekChat Member

So You Wanna Tell Your Recruitment Story...

Pointers, as to not annoy the GC rush thread junkies:

1. Don't ask if we want to read it. Those that do will, and those that don't will ignore your thread. If you need that kind of reinforcement and hand holding, GC is not the place for you.
2. If it's a retro story, go ahead and type it all out in a word doc FIRST. It's ok to posts separate days in separate posts, but just post it all at once. We don't need to relive it in real time. Give us the DVR version.
3. If you refuse to follow #2, don't START a story if you don't have time in your busy social life to update it. It makes you look like a drama queen.
4. Use easy to read colors for your codes. Do it.
5. Honestly, if you're a newbie, we barely care about your story - we don't need to hear about your roomate's rush, your hallmate's rush, your new bestest4ever friend in your Gamma Chi group's rush, or your friend from back home's sister's cousin's dog groomer's half sister's rush unless they are relevant to your story.
6. This is not a fanfic site, so leave your sequin pink tights and "that thing" stories for other sites. We've gotten pretty dang good at spotting the fakes.

What did I miss?

Also, there's a good chance a thread like this exists. I may have even started it. I didn't search. I didn't feel like it. Deal with it.
Old 04-13-2012, 01:52 PM
GreekChat Member

This is where GC needs either a "like it" or "love it" button!
Old 04-13-2012, 01:55 PM
GreekChat Member

hearted.
Old 04-13-2012, 02:26 PM

Sidenote: Don't be all "well, to protect my anonymity, I'm going to add chapters that don't exist or make stuff up or add people who didn't exist." That doesn't make you more anonymous. It makes your story fake. And people are not really going to want to read it, because what's the point if most of it is fake?

You can be anon. without having totally made up details.

Lakers Nation.
Old 04-13-2012, 02:30 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSUViolet06 View Post
Sidenote: Don't be all "well, to protect my anonymity, I'm going to add chapters that don't exist or make stuff up or add people who didn't exist." That doesn't make you more anonymous. It makes your story fake. And people are not really going to want to read it, because what's the point if most of it is fake?

Hint: Don't include how you felt as though you would not be accepted because you were the only curly-afro-redhead-with-a-lime-green-Jesus-bracelet going through recruitment for 2011.

/lane swerve
Old 04-13-2012, 02:34 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSUViolet06 View Post

Yep. It's usually the HUGE recruitment schools that are the easiest to figure out, so if you feel you must change the amount of chapters, leave off the one that you half don't remember because you'd already been to 57865 parties that day and you never went back again after Round 1 anyway.
Old 04-13-2012, 03:49 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to DeltaBetaBaby
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaFrog View Post

What did I miss?
Don't say stuff like "This house all has women of a certain type, and I am not that type" or other stuff that is obviously code for "the Jewish house". You can say that, it's okay.

Don't get angry if your thread gets hijacked (see: discussion of unique pets**). It happens, and it probably means you should just post the next installment.

Don't ask us if we want to hear more, or to guess where you ended up, or any other stuff like that. I don't come to GC to play "choose your own adventure".

Don't expect us to ooze sympathy if you your story didn't work out because you refused to accept a bid from the least popular chapter.

**Not that the poster got angry, just that the rest of us hijacked for several pages.

Last edited by DeltaBetaBaby; 04-13-2012 at 03:51 PM.
Old 04-13-2012, 04:01 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Yep. It's usually the HUGE recruitment schools that are the easiest to figure out, so if you feel you must change the amount of chapters, leave off the one that you half don't remember because you'd already been to 57865 parties that day and you never went back again after Round 1 anyway.
I seem to recall a poster who started her recruitment story with the 2nd or 3rd round. She knew people might be able to figure out her school – or at least narrow it down - based on the number of chapters in the open house round.

I thought that was an excellent way to "hide" which school she attended. And it made her story a lot shorter too.

Last edited by TSteven; 04-13-2012 at 04:09 PM. Reason: incorrect punctuation
Old 04-13-2012, 04:13 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to DeltaBetaBaby
Quote:
Originally Posted by TSteven View Post
I seem to recall a poster who started her recruitment story with the 2nd or 3rd round. She knew people might be able to figure out her school – or at least narrow it down - based on the number of chapters in the open house round.

I thought that was an excellent way to "hide" which school she attended. And it made her story a lot shorter too.
It really doesn't matter that much if you conceal your school in this manner. If it is retro, nobody really cares that much, and if it's live, we all know what school it is based on the dates, and often many of the chapters are obvious, too. As long as you aren't saying ridiculous sh*t, nobody cares. It's best not to name the school so that the thread doesn't come up when someone googles "Illinois sorority rush" or something, but unless you are being a terrible person in your descriptions, we've seen it all around here.

Last edited by DeltaBetaBaby; 04-13-2012 at 04:53 PM.
Old 04-13-2012, 04:16 PM
GreekChat Member

I like it when the thread title has some sort of memorable reference. That way, if your story does wind up good and beneficial for future PNMs to read then it is easy for us to search for and find. Those that are titled "My awesome recruitment story" rarely live up to such billing.
Old 04-13-2012, 04:50 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondie93 View Post
I like it when the thread title has some sort of memorable reference. That way, if your story does wind up good and beneficial for future PNMs to read then it is easy for us to search for and find. Those that are titled "My awesome recruitment story" rarely live up to such billing.
Yep I agree, however my most favourite of Recruitment Stories was Chuck Norris's Recruitment
Old 04-13-2012, 05:47 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
4. Use easy to read colors for your codes. Do it.

What did I miss?
Except yellow. That just looks like a blur.
Old 04-13-2012, 05:50 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sciencewoman View Post
Except yellow. That just looks like a blur.
Yellow is not easy to read. Do not use yellow.
Old 04-13-2012, 06:01 PM
GreekChat Member

So much TRUTH - we need it stickied.
Old 04-13-2012, 06:09 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWTXBelle View Post
So much TRUTH - we need it stickied.

It is.
Closed Thread