GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Fundraising

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,426
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, Abisha55
» Online Users: 2,480
1 members and 2,479 guests
No Members online

Old 07-19-2012, 12:51 AM
GreekChat Member

Fundraising Concert

Has anyone put on a concert to benefit their philanthropy? We're looking to do this with a somewhat big artist (around $15,000). We don't know how to come up with money for the deposit and we're trying to get sponsors for it to keep the ticket prices down. The philanthropy will have other events so we're just trying to break even on this. It will most likely be held in a campus venue. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 07-19-2012, 06:39 AM
GreekChat Member

Is your $15K budget just for the artist or does it cover the sound system that a top rate artist will require? I have experience with having big name performers give their time for a philanthropy, however, the sound system rental/installation costs thousands and thousands of dollars. (Eight years ago this was in the $3-5K range). We were able to get many things gifted for the event, but sound was not one.

Good luck to you in planning something that is this large scale. I would definitely get quotes for the type of sound system required before committing dollars to an artist so that you don't lose money on the endeavor.
Old 07-20-2012, 02:59 AM
GreekChat Member

We'd probably be interested in using the school's sound system. Hopefully that will keep costs down. We'd probably want around 500 in attendance in order to cover the cost of the event. The school production team has sound systems capable of large performers (line array flown speakers, intelligent moving heads, etc). Having it on campus will cut out alcohol (good in terms of philanthropy, bad in that it may lower attendance) but there are no off campus venues that are suitable.

Any advice or tips for pulling something like this off? Our main issue now is finding the funds for the deposit (and funds for the entire concert). All groups we talk to require a deposit of half of the contracted price up to the full price in advance. We can get money from ticket sales to pay them but can't get that until after the event. We'd need the money before the event for the deposit.

$15k is a rough estimate of the overall concert, maybe up to $17k.

What did you do to pay for the artists? How much did you pay and how much did you sell tickets for? We've never done this before but have the time and planning committee ready to pull it off. Thanks.

Last edited by frat6565; 07-20-2012 at 03:02 AM.
Old 07-20-2012, 08:59 AM
GreekChat Member

I can give some input to this. I have book artists for concerts, and produced the concert. A word of advice, this cost is not always as it seems. The artist(s) may have a fee of $1300 to appear, but the production cost can easily double it. Look at the contract, before you sign it. Read the Rider Clauses that are written into it. The artist may want a sound system that is very different from what to school has. If says in the contract that you are to provided back line, make sure you can obtain those items. Look for a transportation clause. You may have to feed the band, build that into the budget. If you can book a band during the week, and between major venues, that can help save money. When doing set up, don't depend on all the people who sign up to help. I have had chapters sign up to help, and then none of them show up.

Payment is another thing. The terms of payment are sometimes in the contract, sometimes they are not. Everything in the contract is negotiable.

I know Alpha Omicron Pi and Kappa Alpha at Western Kentucky University did a fundraising concert a few years ago. Contact those chapters to see what they did.