GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,473
Threads: 115,513
Welcome to our newest member, gregrasusasda62
» Online Users: 2,122
0 members and 2,122 guests
No Members online
Closed Thread

Old 08-24-2003, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by ZZ-kai-
Here we go again, the race card has been played. There really is no need to segregate GLO from NPHC.

You said this, you rolled your eyes first, no you did, we have this call, no they had it first...blah blah blah.

Who friggen cares?
Hmmm...who mentioned race?

Apparently you care, you felt the need to chime in, as well.

You're more than welcome to ignore this dialogue, if it bothers you oh so much.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 08-24-2003, 01:28 PM
GreekChat Member

LOL...amen!
Old 08-24-2003, 01:28 PM
GreekChat Member

Just keeping you in check.

Quote:
Originally posted by ChaosDST
Hmmm...who mentioned race?

Apparently you care, you felt the need to chime in, as well.

You're more than welcome to ignore this dialogue, if it bothers you oh so much.
Old 08-24-2003, 01:30 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Here we go again, the race card has been played. There really is no need to segregate GLO from NPHC.

You said this, you rolled your eyes first, no you did, we have this call, no they had it first...blah blah blah.

Who friggen cares?

PS, what does Johnny Knoxville say to Wee-Man when he is being pulled behind a boat? "Skeee-weee"
what the hell are you talking about? race has never been mentioned at all in this discussion. so clearly someone is reaching. and i'm pretty sure you wouldn't tell that joke to a couple AKA's. chances are you'd have your ass handed to you on a platter. not threatening, just stating the truth.
Old 08-24-2003, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Just keeping you in check.

I think you only managed to show how your feelings have been hurt by this dialogue.

Dry your tears....
Old 08-24-2003, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by starang21
what the hell are you talking about? race has never been mentioned at all in this discussion. so clearly someone is reaching. and i'm pretty sure you wouldn't tell that joke to a couple AKA's. chances are you'd have your ass handed to you on a platter. not threatening, just stating the truth.
Watch out, fellow D9er...this is an overly sensitive bunch, here.

But, I agree.
Old 08-24-2003, 01:33 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Watch out, fellow D9er...this is an overly sensitive bunch, here.

But, I agree.
fa sho....people on this site are real sensitive.
Old 08-24-2003, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by starang21
fa sho....people on this site are real sensitive.
yup...and they imagine that they can "keep people in check."

Old 08-24-2003, 01:47 PM

May I respectfully ask a question of the D9ers reps commenting on this thread?

I went to a school where at the time, there was little to no overlap of the historically white and historically african-american GLOs. We also did not have all D9 groups. It could be quite possible that if a historically white GLO used a call such as the "You Know" referenced earlier, they would have no frame of reference that it was similar to a D9 call. In this case, would the other D9 groups take offense if they'd heard such a call?

Of course, if this is just none of my business, I understand. Thanks!

Christin
Old 08-24-2003, 01:48 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
yup...and they imagine that they can "keep people in check."

hahahaha, that's what i was thinking.

youk now how the saying goes...

"iwishamuthafuckawuuuud"
Old 08-24-2003, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by AOIIalum
May I respectfully ask a question of the D9ers reps commenting on this thread?

I went to a school where at the time, there was little to no overlap of the historically white and historically african-american GLOs. We also did not have all D9 groups. It could be quite possible that if a historically white GLO used a call such as the "You Know" referenced earlier, they would have no frame of reference that it was similar to a D9 call. In this case, would the other D9 groups take offense if they'd heard such a call?

Of course, if this is just none of my business, I understand. Thanks!

Christin
I appreciate the question. Sometimes people hear certain calls and don't know exactly who was doing that call. They go back to their chapter and say "I heard this and I think it's cool. Why don't we do that?" If that's what a chapter does, there's nothing malicious in INTENT. But, if a NPHC member were to hear it and say "WTF?" don't be surprised.

However, all of the D9 are represented in Richmond, VA. So, I can't say there is underexposure to us and our calls. We're particularly well represented at VCU. So, if someone "borrowed" a call from one of us, we won't be heartbroken, but it's certainly not something that we want. Some of us will simply say "Our organization has been doing that for yeeeeears and we feel as though you're disrespecting us by using it. We don't want to make a huge deal out of it, but could you stop doing that, please?"

So, a "YOU KNOOOW" is not as distinctive as a "skeewee." But, I would think the same if I heard a GLO say "SOOOOO SWEEET!" I would think they borrowed it from ZPhiB, distinctive or not.
Old 08-24-2003, 02:16 PM
GreekChat Member

I get it now. I didn't realize that HotDamnI'mAPhiMu was also from Richmond.
Old 08-24-2003, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by IvySpice
I get it now. I didn't realize that HotDamnI'mAPhiMu was also from Richmond.

Maybe I should've just PM'd her. But, I'm having fun in this thread
Old 08-24-2003, 02:39 PM

Quote:
However, all of the D9 are represented in Richmond, VA. So, I can't say there is underexposure to us and our calls. We're particularly well represented at VCU. So, if someone "borrowed" a call from one of us, we won't be heartbroken, but it's certainly not something that we want.
Thanks for your reply, Chaos. Having that bit of info above sure clarifies things for me. I know if such a thing had happened back in the day at Louisville, I don't think we would have known any differently. We had about 4 D9 groups at the time (I think it was AKA, DST, APhiA and Omega Phi Psi?) and I don't recall a lot of calls on campus. Then again, it certainly could have been just me, and/or just the climate there at the time.

Christin
Old 08-24-2003, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by AOIIalum
Thanks for your reply, Chaos. Having that bit of info above sure clarifies things for me. I know if such a thing had happened back in the day at Louisville, I don't think we would have known any differently. We had about 4 D9 groups at the time (I think it was AKA, DST, APhiA and Omega Phi Psi?) and I don't recall a lot of calls on campus. Then again, it certainly could have been just me, and/or just the climate there at the time.

Christin
You mean Omega Psi Phi. That's cool that you all had a mixture of GLOs, both historically black and not historically black. Some campuses don't get that type of exposure. It may be the case that the BGLO members on your campus did not do their call on campus. That's normal, too.

But, since some may think this has become a "race" issue, or that I am (again) separating NPHC from the rest, here's an analogy. I know some GLOs don't mind other GLOs borrowing certain things. We've all borrowed from the general "Greek system" in more ways than one.

But, if you all heard a chapter of a sorority do something that you KNOW is commonly attributed to your sorority or your chapter, you'd wonder what was up with that and "since when" have they been doing it. That's all.
Closed Thread