GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,454
Threads: 115,511
Welcome to our newest member, nathnpetrovo648
» Online Users: 1,547
1 members and 1,546 guests
navane

Old 04-13-2008, 03:20 PM
GreekChat Member

A Multicultural Sorority?

A group of American Indian students plans to file a discrimination complaint with UND’s affirmative action office Monday about a Gamma Phi Beta sorority party in November during which students dressed up in American Indian costumes and slathered their faces and bodies with red makeup.

Rest of the abstract here, but you must purchase the article.

Opinion piece here.

Last edited by Senusret I; 04-13-2008 at 03:57 PM.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 04-13-2008, 07:58 PM
GreekChat Member

wow. I'm really surprised a national sorority would do that.
Old 04-13-2008, 08:48 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by texas*princess View Post
wow. I'm really surprised a national sorority would do that.
sarcasm much?
Old 04-13-2008, 10:18 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tld221 View Post
sarcasm much?
no sarcasm was intended. i just really was surprised. with all of the stories we've heard about with fraternities/sororities hosting offending mixers/parties/whatever, i just would have thought by now people would have learned their lessons and learned not to do something like this.
Old 04-13-2008, 10:28 PM
GreekChat Member

Every year that I was in grad school, some fraternity would get in trouble because members would show up in black face for the Halloween parties. *shrugs shoulders*
Old 04-14-2008, 09:27 AM
GreekChat Member

Okay, I am going to get flamed for this but I just want to throw out there for all to discuss:

Was it is private party? Can people not do what they want to do in private?

I totally understand the whole PC argument and I know that this sorority wants to avoid doing anything unkind, or ruin their reputation,etc, but I have to say, that unless they were parading down Main Street, isn't this a personal choice at a private party?

Some people chose to dress up as Indians and that caracature(sp) was offensive to some. I understand. Where is the outrage over "pimps and ho's" or "redneck" parties?

Let the flaming begin...
Old 04-14-2008, 09:35 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gee_ess View Post
Okay, I am going to get flamed for this but I just want to throw out there for all to discuss:

I totally understand the whole PC argument and I know that this sorority wants to avoid doing anything unkind, or ruin their reputation,etc, but I have to say, that unless they were parading down Main Street, isn't this a personal choice at a private party?

Some people chose to dress up as Indians and that caracature(sp) was offensive to some. I understand. Where is the outrage over "pimps and ho's" or "redneck" parties?

Let the flaming begin...
From the sounds of it, it was a mixer type party (or date party), so the sorority's name is attached to it.

If you want to have a get together at your apartment and have people dress up in a way that offends other people, hey, more power to you, but WHY would you have an official event, and do that with your sorority's name attached to it?

Like the columnist said:
Quote:
In an article that appeared in the Grand Forks Herald on March 22, "Sorority party prompts complaint", there was a response from a woman who was the president of Gamma Phi Beta when the party was held.

She said that they "had no control" over how others dressed. No control to say to her other "sisters" there is no way we are going to be a part of something so blatantly racist and disrespectful.

They had no control to tell people that throwing a party such as theirs was comparable to having a black-face party during Black History Month. They had plenty of control to stop this party, but they allowed it to happen.

I find it hard to believe that she had "no control" over how people dressed. She could have easily sent out a memo or something? She herself even had pictures of herself dressed like that up for the world to see on the internet.

Like I said, if you're going to do it on your own free time, whatever, but why would you do something like that and attach your sorority's name to it?
Old 04-14-2008, 09:45 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:

I think that this question is beside the point. Sure people can do what they want, I guess. But such choices belie claims of cultural sensitivity and respect.
Old 04-14-2008, 10:00 AM
GreekChat Member

For the record, Sensuret posted this in an obvious attempt to get at me.

Yes, three members of the sorority made an ill-advised costume choice - although I find it ironic that it is at the University of North Dakota - home of the Fighting Sioux (!).

But that is hardly reason to believe that the entire membership is therefore insensitive. The sorority's response is here http://www.gammaphibeta.org/news/pre..._CATEGORY_ID=5
I'm sure Sensuret meant to post it, but just forgot.

If the sorority just shrugged their shoulders and said, "Eh", then Sensuret would have a point. But I am proud of the way it was handled, and the good to come out of it is that many more people are now aware of the need for cultural sensitivity in terms of social party themes and costuming. It's a process - and there will be missteps on the way. But the important thing is to strive to improve, to encourage and educate our members to be culturally aware.

Last edited by SWTXBelle; 04-14-2008 at 01:03 PM. Reason: adding school mascot picture
Old 04-14-2008, 10:05 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:

Let the flaming begin...
I have long hated the "pimps and ho" and "redneck" type themes - I don't even like the "wedding mixers" because I think it is disrespectful to take something that is considered by some to be a sacrament and use it for a party theme. There's a fine line to be walked - for example, a Cinco de Mayo party can be fun, but all it would take is one insensitive person to dress in a serape and hat and talk like the Frito Bandito to make it a culturally offensive event.
Old 04-14-2008, 10:19 AM
Super Moderator

Blackface is something which has its own sordid history. We know why that's offensive.

"Redface" has no such history. I don't think portraying the physical characteristics of another race is per se offensive. We need to all be a little less touchy about things. The action the natives are bringing is apparently a "discrimination" action. Who was discriminated against? Did they have a sign at the door which read "People of native ancestry not welcome!" No. Of course not.

This discrimination suit is nothing more than a thinly veiled attempt by some idiots to use the law to punish thought-crime.

I guess the next time anyone holds a toga party, greek/italian student organizations need to stage a protest, right?
Mu Tau 5, Central Oklahoma

Last edited by Kevin; 04-14-2008 at 10:23 AM.
Old 04-14-2008, 10:22 AM
GreekChat Member

Why does it matter if it was offensive? What is it of their business?

I don't get it. How were their rights hurt in any way?
Overall, though, it's the bigness of the car that counts the most. Because when something bad happens in a really big car – accidentally speeding through the middle of a gang of unruly young people who have been taunting you in a drive-in restaurant, for instance – it happens very far away – way out at the end of your fenders. It's like a civil war in Africa; you know, it doesn't really concern you too much. - P.J. O'Rourke
Old 04-14-2008, 10:46 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
Blackface is something which has its own sordid history. We know why that's offensive.

"Redface" has no such history. I don't think portraying the physical characteristics of another race is per se offensive. We need to all be a little less touchy about things. The action the natives are bringing is apparently a "discrimination" action. Who was discriminated against? Did they have a sign at the door which read "People of native ancestry not welcome!" No. Of course not.
American Indians would disagree with you. Putting on red facial paint, or "war paint" may not have the same history as blackface, but American Indians have, as a people, been abused, slaughtered, lied to, practically enslaved, forced off their land, forced to abandon their heritage, and forced to live in poverty throughout history.
Treating a race of people as if they are a Halloween costume is more than ignorant immaturity.

You should know better than to play word games with the name of the action. If the "discrimination action" definition includes that of their complaint, such as the creation of a hostile environment, then they were in face "discriminated against" by the technical definition.
Old 04-14-2008, 11:00 AM

Does anyone have a link to the pictures? I came across them in the last couple weeks but now I can't find them. (very annoying) What I remember is that based on what I had read I was expecting people with their faces painted red (like black face). But what I saw were red hand prints and a variety of colors being used. At first I was very much "this is what's causing the problem?" After thinking about I can understand if Native Americans are offended by the photos. However, I think it's the type of image that a lot of people grew up with and so don't think it could be offensive. I firmly believe that the participants didn't intend offense. Which I think is something to be considered.
Old 04-14-2008, 11:12 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:

Let the flaming begin...

Eh...stop blatantly trying to play devil's advocate, people.

Most of us aren't shocked about this situation. These things have always happened and are just getting more attention over the past 10 years.

I also dislike it when sports fans dress up in "red face" and wear Native American gear. This is one of the only (if not, the only) group of people that it is found acceptable to openly mock. Yes, it is a mockery rather than an appreciation.

And it doesn't matter if "some Native Americans do it"/"...say it's okay"/"...do rain dances at the football games...." That doesn't make it STRUCTURALLY appropriate just because some INDIVIDUALS condone it (even if they condone it in their silence).