GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,429
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, Zae_TheCreator
» Online Users: 2,209
1 members and 2,208 guests
Cookiez17

Old 06-11-2007, 03:44 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by howtheSunrose View Post
I'm sure this has been said many times but....

please please don't post what GLO you want to join on the internet. And definitely not on facebook. I came across a Global group (I imagine the students thought current students wouldn't see it..or were just not thinking in general) on facebook for my college's upcoming freshman class. In a thread, entitled "Rush", girls were proclaiming which sorority they were "rushing" and saying things such as, "I'm going to join the sorority that drinks the most". While I'm all for giving people a chance, I'm going to have to remember these names. Also, it's probably not the wisest idea to be writing words such as "slut", "bitch", and "whore" all over people's facebook walls but hey, that's just my personal view point.
Ahhh...Fraternal Darwinism....
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 07-09-2007, 01:52 PM
GreekChat Member

cell phones = ugh!

Cell phones are the worst!!!

I had a girl who came in late on the first day (the Rho Chi's decided to let her in to the party) and was sat down with me and the PNM I was talking to, and then she asked if she could use the phone, and was on the phone for the remainder of my time. I didn't get to know anything about her, other than she wasn't prompt or polite.
Needless to say, I made sure she wasn't invited back.
The parties aren't that long, so use your phone in between!!!
You don't see the sorority ladies on their phones--ours are usually locked away for the entire day.
Former Greek Judicial Board Chairwoman 07
Former Standards Chairwoman 06 and Ritual Chairwoman 07
Old 07-14-2007, 12:46 AM

During recruitment, DON'T ASK the following questions:

**How do you decide who gets a bid?"

**"Am I going to get a bid?"

**"Is my friend _______ going to get a bid?"

**"Why wasn't my friend ______ invited back this round?"

**"How close am I to getting a bid?"

REASON:

The member selection process of every Panhellenic sorority is private, meaning it cannot be discussed with PNM's during recruitment. As much as you might want to know one of the above, sorority members can't discuss that info with you. So it's best not to ask.

Lakers Nation.

Last edited by KSUViolet06; 07-14-2007 at 04:04 PM.
Old 07-14-2007, 01:15 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSUViolet06 View Post

During recruitment, DON'T ASK the following questions:

**How do you decide who gets a bid?"

REASON: The member selection process of every Panhellenic sorority is private, meaning it cannot be discussed with PNM's during recruitment. As much as you might want to know one of the above, sorority members can't discuss that info with you. So it's best not to ask.

Very true.

While sorority members are generally coached to answer these types of questions, it really only puts us in a bad position to have to give you some canned answer...

"How do you decide who gets a bid?"
"Well, we really can't tell you our process, since membership selection is private, but we look for women who are the best fit for our sorority."

Obviously, those answers aren't really what the PNMs are looking for, but that's all we can say. As best as we're coached, these questions just are awkward any way you look at it.

Other questions to avoid (these are all from personal recruitment experience, and all have which been awkward for me to answer because of the "gray area" of MS involved in the response)

- "What made you decide to invite me back tonight over all the other PNMs?"
- "So are you voting on us tonight?"
- "Will xxxxx (some event that happened during recruitment) hurt my chances at joining your sorority?"
- "I'm a legacy, does that mean I have a better chance at getting in?"

Anything that even remotely involves "your chances" at joining the sorority in question should be really off limits. We're not trying to be rude or evasive in our non-answers, we just really don't want to be the cause of a huge recruitment infraction for our sorority!

To let my lyre send forth the chords of love, unselfishness and sincerity
Old 07-14-2007, 03:46 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDlegacy View Post
Cell phones are the worst!!!

I had a girl who came in late on the first day (the Rho Chi's decided to let her in to the party) and was sat down with me and the PNM I was talking to, and then she asked if she could use the phone, and was on the phone for the remainder of my time. I didn't get to know anything about her, other than she wasn't prompt or polite.
Needless to say, I made sure she wasn't invited back.
The parties aren't that long, so use your phone in between!!!
You don't see the sorority ladies on their phones--ours are usually locked away for the entire day.
i was alway told no cell phones no matter what! the pnms weren't even allowed to bring their purses in. that gir was really rude though, your chapter did right not to invite her back. was she given a bid by any other chapter? you don't have to say which one.
Old 07-14-2007, 04:56 AM
GreekChat Member

i just thought of another don't. don't wear the same set of clothes two days in a row. not just for appearences, but because recruitment is usually at the tail end of summer and people tend to sweat. you would think this is obvious information, but i have a friend who does this all the time and it is really gross!
Old 07-14-2007, 12:46 PM
GreekChat Member

My biggest petpeeve - during recruitment and later in life in the work place --- DON'T WEAR TOO MUCH PURFUME! A lot of people, like myself, have allergies and can be sensitive to perfumes. A little is fine, but if you wear too much -- or don't know if you are wearing too much you run the risk of offending people's olfactory sense and may send some of us running for the tissues.
Old 07-14-2007, 04:10 PM
GreekChat Member

Giorgio!

I hope you weren't rushing during the heady days of "Giorgio" - what was it with that perfume? Everyone who wore it, it seems, wore buckets of it!
Old 07-14-2007, 05:01 PM
GreekChat Member

I have to agree with the ban on perfume. Neither actives nor PNMs should wear it. There is nothing I hate worse than passing through the cosmetics department at a department store where all the scents from the different companies are merging into a horrendous odor that gives me a headache. And I am not even allergic to the stuff....
Old 07-14-2007, 10:24 PM
GreekChat Member

No perfume...I know it's been said, but it's something that's harped in to us as actives.

Oh, and don't smash a water cup against your forehead and scream that you love a chapter.

it's happened, trust me.
Old 07-15-2007, 12:53 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaggieXi View Post
My biggest petpeeve - during recruitment and later in life in the work place --- DON'T WEAR TOO MUCH PURFUME! A lot of people, like myself, have allergies and can be sensitive to perfumes. A little is fine, but if you wear too much -- or don't know if you are wearing too much you run the risk of offending people's olfactory sense and may send some of us running for the tissues.
i have the same problem!
Old 07-15-2007, 02:33 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alrphimu View Post

Oh, and don't smash a water cup against your forehead and scream that you love a chapter.

it's happened, trust me.
Oh. Now I know why I didn't receive a bid from your chapter.
Old 07-15-2007, 02:40 PM

Don't automatically rule out a chapter just because of its size.

At most schools, chapter size changes every year. For example, the sorority that was the smallest my freshman year, is one of the largest now.

Lakers Nation.
Old 07-15-2007, 08:49 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alum View Post
I have to agree with the ban on perfume. Neither actives nor PNMs should wear it. There is nothing I hate worse than passing through the cosmetics department at a department store where all the scents from the different companies are merging into a horrendous odor that gives me a headache. And I am not even allergic to the stuff....
But what happens when Rho Gammas/Pi Chis/Recruitment Counselors give out perfume during rounds? Mine last year offered full out perfume(don't remember what kind) to all the girls in my group. I wore body splash from bath and body in vanilla and only reapplied once in a 7 hour day. I am not sure there needs to be a ban on it, but don't overdo it. Everyone should know how much is too much.
Old 07-15-2007, 09:19 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ocalagirl View Post
But what happens when Rho Gammas/Pi Chis/Recruitment Counselors give out perfume during rounds? Mine last year offered full out perfume(don't remember what kind) to all the girls in my group. I wore body splash from bath and body in vanilla and only reapplied once in a 7 hour day. I am not sure there needs to be a ban on it, but don't overdo it. Everyone should know how much is too much.
My main issue is one of allergies. I personally have a very strong sense of smell, and often too much perfume causes me to have sneezing fits. I know I am not the only one with this issue. I also think offering perfume is a bit odd, not every perfume smells good on or to everyone. I know there are some that smell like fritos and stanky fratbasement on me, but on someone else it would smell awesome. I think patchouli smells like moldy bread, and I don't think a PNM would want to be known as the girl who smells like mold.

I just don't think recruitment is a good place for a lot of scents, especially if it is August, 98 degrees, 99% humidity, there are 100 people in a room and no AC.