GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,426
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, Abisha55
» Online Users: 2,494
1 members and 2,493 guests
No Members online

Old 10-13-2002, 09:53 PM
GreekChat Member

wear your letters

the other day I noticed that a girl in my advertising class was wearing a rush shirt from a different university so I decided to ask her where she is from and what sorority.Turns out she is on exchange like me. She is a Sigma Sigma Sigma. We were talking about how much we miss our chapters, even though there were some sisters we didn't really like. It was so nice to have someone to relate to. she said she only wears her mixer t shrits and not her block letters bc one day someone saw her in her block letters and said where the hell was she from wearing those letters. There is no Sigma at our school. She is super excited bc she gets to go back next semester to her university. She attends a college in Kentucky. Her name is Allie. Anyway I was so glad that I had someone that understood me, she feels the same way I do about the school etc. So any of you that are going to different schools wear your sorority/fraternitiy shirts bc you never know you you could meet.
By the way I didn't know that Sigmas can't be called Tri Sig anymore. allie was telling me that her roommate just joined Phi Sigma Sigma and everytime she says Phi Sig, Allie thinks she is saying Tri sig. I didn't know there was a lebian group named Tri Sig. It seems to me that Sigma should be able to call themselves Tri Sig since they were established first.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 10-13-2002, 11:14 PM
GreekChat Member

Talking

Yay Lana!! I'm glad you found a friend You rock!!
Old 10-14-2002, 01:35 PM

Lana, that is great! Farmville Four sororities rock .
Old 10-14-2002, 01:56 PM
GreekChat Member

OK, has anyone actually met or seen proof of this legendary lesbian sorority? Even if it's real, Tri-Sigma has been around much longer and has a legal patent on the name and could take them to court. I'm not saying "I know they don't exist," but if they did they certainly haven't flourished, and repeating this rumor only gives them more fame than they ever would have gotten.

I'm glad you're meeting some chicks to hang out with. But no one has any business giving that girl a hard time because she wears her letters. They should be the ones ashamed of themselves, and she should wear them proudly.

Last edited by FuzzieAlum; 10-14-2002 at 02:03 PM.
Old 10-14-2002, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by FuzzieAlum
OK, has anyone actually met or seen proof of this legendary lesbian sorority?
Crossdressers actually, not lesbians.

http://www.tri-ess.org/
Old 10-14-2002, 02:32 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to HotDamnImAPhiMu
She should DEFINATELY wear her letters!
Old 10-14-2002, 03:13 PM
GreekChat Member

My roommate and I were just talking about a realted topic a few days ago...if you transfered to a school that did not have your sorority/fraternity, would you still wear your letters? And, if they did, what would be the chances of you affiliating?

I would MOST DEFINELTY still wear my letters if Delta Zeta was not at that campus. I may be at a different school, but I'm still a DZ. If I transfered, I would have to get to know the girls first. If I didn't feel "at home", then I wouldn't affiliate. Its not the letters, its the people that make up you chapter that affect your decison. At least, that is my opnion!

Blaire

ps...alphasiglana, wear your letters with pride!!!!!
Old 10-14-2002, 03:15 PM
GreekChat Member

Oh almost forgot...this past fall, two girls in different sororities than on my campus were Rho Sigmas (Rho Chis). One is a Kappa Alpha Theta and the other is a Phi Mu. They were both super sweet! They even participated in our bid days by taking pictures with us and stuff. They definelty added a lot to our recruitment!
Old 10-14-2002, 03:23 PM
GreekChat Member

Oh, poo, the site is blocked. But it looks like this other groups goes by tri-ess - which doesn't explain why they can't use Tri-Sig.
Old 10-14-2002, 04:30 PM
GreekChat Member

I checked out the Sigma Sigma Sigma forum and they actually already had a discussion about the use of Tri-Sig. Some say they don't say Tri-Sig becuase it sounds like Phi Sig. They actually are having a few different reasons why they aren't called Tri-Sig.
It's great to meet a new person, but she is leaving after the semester to go back home.
Old 10-14-2002, 04:34 PM
GreekChat Member

Definitely wear your letters! How else could you know if there are members of your sorority/fraternity on campus or in town? I've met AGDs in places I didn't expect.

As for the twerp that was rude to her, that was a mental deficiency on their part, not your Tri Sigma sister's.

On a streeeetched note, if there is ever a push to start a new group on campus, seeing your letters around town might be a positive sight!

Have fun and enjoy your lost/new sister!
Old 10-14-2002, 05:40 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Blaire
My roommate and I were just talking about a realted topic a few days ago...if you transfered to a school that did not have your sorority/fraternity, would you still wear your letters? And, if they did, what would be the chances of you affiliating?

I would MOST DEFINELTY still wear my letters if Delta Zeta was not at that campus. I may be at a different school, but I'm still a DZ. If I transfered, I would have to get to know the girls first. If I didn't feel "at home", then I wouldn't affiliate. Its not the letters, its the people that make up you chapter that affect your decison. At least, that is my opnion!

Blaire

ps...alphasiglana, wear your letters with pride!!!!!
I completely agree with Blaire here! If there was no Deltasig chapter here I still would have definately worn my letters because I'm proud to be a Deltasig! If there is no chapter of your organization there maybe you could even start up an interest group and get your GLO colonized and chartered there!
Old 10-14-2002, 05:59 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to KappaKittyCat
On that note...

My school doesn't offer summer classes, so I took summer school at a school where there is Kappa. It's a much bigger school and the Greeks are rather segregated from non-Greeks. Therefore, stereotypes and prejudices run rampant. I'll never forget the first time I wore my letters to class. One of the girls in my class blurted out, "Oh my god, you're a Kappa?" as if this were the most shocking thing in the world. I like to think that I broke down some stereotypes that day.
Old 10-14-2002, 06:02 PM
GreekChat Member

Re: wear your letters

Quote:
Originally posted by AlphaSigLana
she said she only wears her mixer t shrits and not her block letters bc one day someone saw her in her block letters and said where the hell was she from wearing those letters.
Errrr...maybe this is just me, but I can't imagine not wearing my "letters" simply because there is no chapter on the campus/in the community, or even worse, because someone questioned me about MY letters. I didn't join a chapter, I joined an International Sorority, one of the privileges of which is having sorority sisters (and brothers in my case) the world over. I am my Sorority's best advertisement and marketing strategy--how will the name of my Sorority be spread if I don't wear my letters? My "letters" are good in most public places, at just about any university, in any state in the Union--and without question--I will wear them with pride. And if they haven't heard of Zeta Phi Beta--by the end of the day, trust, they'll know more than they ever wanted!
Old 10-14-2002, 07:19 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Blaire
Oh almost forgot...this past fall, two girls in different sororities than on my campus were Rho Sigmas (Rho Chis). One is a Kappa Alpha Theta and the other is a Phi Mu. They were both super sweet! They even participated in our bid days by taking pictures with us and stuff. They definelty added a lot to our recruitment!
What a WONDERFUL example of true Panhellenic friendship! I would hope that a nice little "fuss" was made for these two great women!

I know two alumnae who were neighbors who didn't know that they were both ADPi's until the one wore a sweatshirt to rake the leaves! And, I go to a soccer convention every year, and the greeks among us always have a little competition going for the game best t-shirt!

honeychile