GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,456
Threads: 115,511
Welcome to our newest member, zatylerahvso465
» Online Users: 1,520
1 members and 1,519 guests
Pinkmagnolia921

Old 02-21-2015, 06:08 PM
GreekChat Member

Dropping Out After Initiation

Hello, so I recently joined a new colony at my university and it's only been a few days, but I'm already feeling a little uncomfortable with everything. It's all very overwhelming and cliques already seem to be forming and I know absolutely no one in the colony. I'm very shy and meeting new people does not come easy for me, so I thought joining a sorority would be a good way to get out of my comfort zone, but I've so far had a terrible time. Initiation is tomorrow and I'm going to initiate just in case these feelings go away, but I want to know for sure that I still have the option of dropping the sorority even after being initiated. I'm going to give it a chance, before you say anything about not giving up, I am going to stick it out for a while and give the sorority a chance, but I want to know that I have the option of leaving if I want to down the road.
Thank you.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 02-21-2015, 06:11 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to sigmagirl2000
I don't understand how you only joined a few days ago but initiation is tomorrow?

You always have the option to withdraw from an organization.

::: waiting for someone to post in Irishpipes 2013-2014 chapter listing thread that quota was .25 ::: - ASTalumna06
Old 02-21-2015, 06:17 PM
GreekChat Member

If you are initiated and leave you can never join another NPC group. I think if this is a colony and you've only been there a few days then you are having formal pledging. That is not the same thing as initiation. You can leave after pledging and later pledge another group.

I strongly suggest you talk with whatever national representative is on campus helping the colony. Am sure they'll have good advice for you.
Old 02-21-2015, 10:09 PM
GreekChat Member

The national representatives say that this is the full fledged initiation. Our rush week was just this past week, so I haven't really gotten to even meet any of the sisters and it just feels like everything is happening very fast, I haven't had the time to grasp what's going on. Being a founding colony on campus, we now have other a hundred members and I really think it's too much for me. Can you drop a sorority after becoming an initiated member? What's that process look like?
Old 02-21-2015, 10:13 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to AZ-AlphaXi
If this is an NPC sorority, yes you may drop after initiation but you can never join another NPC sorority.
Old 02-21-2015, 10:26 PM

I'm sorry but there is just NWIH that an NPC sorority with a ground up colonizing class of 100 would initiate people in a week. OP - you are talking about a colony where national representatives came in and picked ALL the members in this past week, right?
Old 02-21-2015, 10:34 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aKandaC View Post
Hello, so I recently joined a new colony at my university and it's only been a few days, but I'm already feeling a little uncomfortable with everything. It's all very overwhelming and cliques already seem to be forming and I know absolutely no one in the colony. I'm very shy and meeting new people does not come easy for me, so I thought joining a sorority would be a good way to get out of my comfort zone, but I've so far had a terrible time. Initiation is tomorrow and I'm going to initiate just in case these feelings go away, but I want to know for sure that I still have the option of dropping the sorority even after being initiated. I'm going to give it a chance, before you say anything about not giving up, I am going to stick it out for a while and give the sorority a chance, but I want to know that I have the option of leaving if I want to down the road.
Thank you.
This is not indentured servitude or prison. Of course you have the option of leaving any time that you wish.
Old 02-21-2015, 10:34 PM
GreekChat Member

Yes, it's a colony and the national representatives interviewed us all and picked all the girls this past week.
Old 02-21-2015, 10:38 PM
GreekChat Member

Anyone figure out where this is or what group? I can't imagine an NPC group initiating this soon.
Old 02-21-2015, 10:41 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
The national representatives say that this is the full fledged initiation. Our rush week was just this past week, so I haven't really gotten to even meet any of the sisters and it just feels like everything is happening very fast, I haven't had the time to grasp what's going on. Being a founding colony on campus, we now have other a hundred members and I really think it's too much for me. Can you drop a sorority after becoming an initiated member? What's that process look like?
Quote:
Yes, it's a colony and the national representatives interviewed us all and picked all the girls this past week.
I have never, ever heard of an NPC organization initiating after only a few days. I think the OP must be confused about what is happening tomorrow. Probably some type of pledging ceremony, which is nothing at all like initiation.

OR this could be a non-NPC, in which case all of our experience and information is moot. It would help to know at least that, so that we are not just guessing.

Last edited by thetalady; 02-21-2015 at 10:49 PM.
Old 02-21-2015, 11:29 PM
GreekChat Member

The verbiage in the article linked in this thread is "induction" (which is tomorrow) which, to a new member, probably sounds an awful lot like initiation.

OP, IF you're at Columbia.... it's very very likely NOT initiation. Of course, a Gamma Phi would have to confirm.....
Old 02-21-2015, 11:37 PM
GreekChat Member

I'm at Truman State University and it's a NPC organization. They said it's a colonization ceremony, but afterwards we are full fledged official members.
Old 02-22-2015, 12:07 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
I'm at Truman State University and it's a NPC organization. They said it's a colonization ceremony, but afterwards we are full fledged official members.
Are you sure they didn't say full fledged NEW members? New member is the PC terminology for pledge.
Old 02-22-2015, 12:15 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Although I support anonymity, you've said enough that it's identifiable as DPhiE, and that's an important fact. If not everyone is familiar with how they do things, here's some text from the publicly-available chapter constitution for their Alpha Pi chapter:

Quote:
ARTICLE IV - NEW MEMBERS

Formal invitations/bids shall be extended by Alpha Pi Chapter to eligible undergraduate females to join Delta Phi Epsilon Sorority.

New members shall be initiated as sisters of Delta Phi Epsilon Sorority with all the rights and privileges associated with such membership preferably within three (3) days but no longer than five (5) days after invitations/bids are returned to the Chapter.

New members, until they complete the twenty-one pearl program established by the National Office of Delta Phi Epsilon Sorority, shall be referred to as neophytes. They shall be equal to the other sisters in every way and shall be treated by all members as equals.

Neophytes shall attend and participate in all chapter/sorority meetings. Participation shall include voice and vote on all issues of concern to the Alpha Pi Chapter. Neophytes shall be invited to all sorority affairs that other sisters are invited to and/or are expected to attend.

New members or neophytes, until they successfully complete the twenty-one pearl program, shall not (1) be allowed to enter a chapter meeting until after the ritual prayer that begins chapter meetings is concluded and (2) shall not be allowed to wear the official Delta Phi Epsilon sister pin until after the final ritual ceremony.

The new member education program, called the twenty-one pearl program, shall be completed within a six (6) week period.

Once a new member or neophyte has completed all twenty-one pearls, taken and passed the written test provided by the National Office, and paid all fees owed to the Chapter and National, a final or concluding ritual shall be held. The ritual shall include a swearing in ceremony and a pinning of the Delta Phi Epsilon sister pin.
Based on that, my understanding is that it is a pledging ceremony, and although it may be called initiation as per chapter ritual, what NPC would consider initiation is the "final ritual ceremony".

Any Deephers here who would know better?

Last edited by WhiteRose1912; 02-22-2015 at 12:18 AM.
Old 02-22-2015, 08:15 AM
GreekChat Member

Ah ha! Didn't even think of that considering the size of the group.

No one is going to feel totally integrated into the group at this point. It's too soon. However, if you are thinking you may want to be a member elsewhere, you need to talk to whatever national rep is there and find out the following:

1) If you go thru with this ceremony and find it's not for you, what is the procedure to resign?
2) If you resign before the "final ritual ceremony", can you ever join another NPC group?
3) If not, then at what point should resign in order to have the opportunity to pledge elsewhere?