GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Fraternity Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Fraternity Recruitment Recruitment event ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,452
Threads: 115,511
Welcome to our newest member, saphqueen
» Online Users: 1,557
1 members and 1,556 guests
Cookiez17

Old 02-27-2013, 12:55 AM
GreekChat Member

Rushing as a Senior?

Hey guys so long story short, decided to rush spring 2013, got a bid but could not accept because of school reasons so I'm essentially using this semester and the full summer to boost my GPA. I really wish to try again and join a fraternity during the fall official rush but by then I will be 21 and in my senior year. Do you think rushing would be a stupid idea? Have you ever heard of anyone even getting looked at who's a senior? Any thoughts and comments would be helpful. I really don't know why but this is just gnawing on my mind and I don't want to regret not being able to join a frat but it may be the case if things don't work out.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 02-27-2013, 01:00 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruins19 View Post
Hey guys so long story short, decided to rush spring 2013, got a bid but could not accept because of school reasons so I'm essentially using this semester and the full summer to boost my GPA. I really wish to try again and join a fraternity during the fall official rush but by then I will be 21 and in my senior year. Do you think rushing would be a stupid idea? Have you ever heard of anyone even getting looked at who's a senior? Any thoughts and comments would be helpful. I really don't know why but this is just gnawing on my mind and I don't want to regret not being able to join a frat but it may be the case if things don't work out.
Yes, to the bold. However, this largely depends on your campus. It's usually less cutthroat for guys than it is for girls when you're an upperclassman, but it can still be a factor at certain schools.

I'm not suggesting you divulge any information about your school, but you should get a feel for your campus and see if others have joined as a junior or senior.

And just attend rush events and see what happens. It can't hurt to try!

@~/~~~~
Old 02-27-2013, 01:29 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASTalumna06 View Post
Yes, to the bold. However, this largely depends on your campus. It's usually less cutthroat for guys than it is for girls when you're an upperclassman, but it can still be a factor at certain schools.

I'm not suggesting you divulge any information about your school, but you should get a feel for your campus and see if others have joined as a junior or senior.

And just attend rush events and see what happens. It can't hurt to try!
I am actually from Connecticut. And I would definitely say the greek scene is much more casual here then say down south and such. There's only about 7 main fraternities on campus give or take a few and I don't think it's as competitive as say sororities are idk. I definitely get what your saying though from just trying but I haven't really heard anything as of recent on upperclassman getting in.... I guess what I'm saying is I don't like my chances going up against freshman since the way I kinda see it I won't be able to give much back to the fraternity. But it can't hurt to try!!!
Old 02-27-2013, 01:46 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
I am actually from Connecticut. And I would definitely say the greek scene is much more casual here then say down south and such. There's only about 7 main fraternities on campus give or take a few and I don't think it's as competitive as say sororities are idk. I definitely get what your saying though from just trying but I haven't really heard anything as of recent on upperclassman getting in.... I guess what I'm saying is I don't like my chances going up against freshman since the way I kinda see it I won't be able to give much back to the fraternity. But it can't hurt to try!!!
Exactly, you'll only know if you try. On my campus, I saw seniors join both fraternities and sororities, including my own. However, I also know of schools where attempting to join a fraternity as a senior would be extremely difficult or nearly impossible. It just depends. Usually, though, as you indicate, going to school in the north is generally a little different from attending those competitive schools in the south.

Just rush and see what happens.

@~/~~~~

Last edited by ASTalumna06; 02-27-2013 at 01:51 AM.
Old 02-27-2013, 02:36 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Generally speaking, you will not be "going up against freshmen". Unless it is self imposed, fraternities are not limited to pledge class quotas or chapter total. So a chapter may take as many men as they deem worthy.
Old 04-03-2013, 01:21 PM
GreekChat Member

Give it a shot...it doesn't hurt to try
Old 07-02-2013, 09:30 PM
GreekChat Member

give a shot. I know people who joined a fraternity when they were juniors. however, should you get a bid and sign it, please be aware you might be elected pledge class president since your one of the oldest.
Old 07-02-2013, 09:49 PM
GreekChat Member

Dude. You aren't in a fraternity. Leave the advice to those of us who are.