GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,452
Threads: 115,511
Welcome to our newest member, saphqueen
» Online Users: 2,026
1 members and 2,025 guests
flirt5721

Old 11-09-2012, 03:52 PM
GreekChat Member

Happy Founders' Day, Gamma Phi Beta!

138 years of love, labour, learning and loyalty!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DLZP1...ature=youtu.be
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 11-09-2012, 08:34 PM
GreekChat Member

Happy birthday, Triad Sisters!

Old 11-10-2012, 11:08 PM
Super Moderator

Happy Founders Day, Panhellenic Sisters!

I so wish I had a copy of my mother's cousin with her chapter - it was taken during WWII (my parents were both the youngest children of youngest children). Anyhow, the whole chapter is posed on a plane in California - very cute!
Old 11-11-2012, 06:37 AM
GreekChat Member

When I went through rush (as it was known in those days) at Syracuse, I remember being told that Gamma Phi's founders didn't particularly care for the founders of another society on the campus. I thought that a bit odd to say, but as I later learned, it was the truth.

Frances Haven Moss reflected on the founding in a 1912 Crescent article that is today's blog post, if you're interested in reading it.
Old 11-11-2012, 07:38 AM
Super Moderator

Happy Founders Day!
Old 11-13-2012, 08:39 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyapbp View Post

When I went through rush (as it was known in those days) at Syracuse, I remember being told that Gamma Phi's founders didn't particularly care for the founders of another society on the campus. I thought that a bit odd to say, but as I later learned, it was the truth.

Frances Haven Moss reflected on the founding in a 1912 Crescent article that is today's blog post, if you're interested in reading it.
Thanks for sharing! I always enjoy reading your history posts.

Frances's great-great-great granddaughter was just elected to the executive board of her chapter, on Founders Day!
Old 11-13-2012, 08:57 AM
GreekChat Member

A Belated Happy Founders Day to the sisters of ΓΦΒ!
Old 11-13-2012, 03:19 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sciencewoman View Post
Thanks for sharing! I always enjoy reading your history posts.

Frances's great-great-great granddaughter was just elected to the executive board of her chapter, on Founders Day!
What wonderful news about Frances's GGGGD! How exciting it must be all the way around - as a member to have connections to a Founder and for a chapter to have a Founder's true legacy in the chapter!
Old 11-13-2012, 05:35 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyapbp View Post
That's not exactly the way it's presented in my history book, or how I've ever heard the relationship between the two groups described.

"Frances, Dr. Haven's oldest daughter, had attended Northwestern while her father was president, and had completed enough work to enable her to enroll at Syracuse as a sophomore. She was then twenty years old, an attractive girl who made friends at once. Two years previously, 10 of the 15 women students to enter Syracuse with the first class had formed a secret society which they called Alpha Phi. By 1874 they numbered 21 and invited Frances to join them. In her own words, "They were the friendliest people I had ever met but after due deliberation, I declined." She goes on to say in an article she wrote in The Crescent, October 1912, "Soon after I discovered that there were other girls in just the same position. We drifted together, and finding each other congenial, the question was broached- "Why shall we not found a society of our own?'" - The Gift from Syracuse

138 years later, Gamma Phi and Alpha Phi have a shared history and plenty to be proud of as Panhellenic pioneers and sisters! Neither would probably be the great organizations they are today without the friendly rivalry that challenged them both in their earliest years

True Lives to Live From Day to Day

Old 11-13-2012, 07:06 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by crescent&pearls View Post
That's not exactly the way it's presented in my history book, or how I've ever heard the relationship between the two groups described.

"Frances, Dr. Haven's oldest daughter, had attended Northwestern while her father was president, and had completed enough work to enable her to enroll at Syracuse as a sophomore. She was then twenty years old, an attractive girl who made friends at once. Two years previously, 10 of the 15 women students to enter Syracuse with the first class had formed a secret society which they called Alpha Phi. By 1874 they numbered 21 and invited Frances to join them. In her own words, "They were the friendliest people I had ever met but after due deliberation, I declined." She goes on to say in an article she wrote in The Crescent, October 1912, "Soon after I discovered that there were other girls in just the same position. We drifted together, and finding each other congenial, the question was broached- "Why shall we not found a society of our own?'" - The Gift from Syracuse

138 years later, Gamma Phi and Alpha Phi have a shared history and plenty to be proud of as Panhellenic pioneers and sisters! Neither would probably be the great organizations they are today without the friendly rivalry that challenged them both in their earliest years
I have the copy of the 1912 article and that's the quote from Frances that appears in the blog post. When I went through rush at Syracuse and the Gamma Phi told me that the Gamma Phi Founders didn't like the Alpha Phi Founders, I think she was taking some liberty. There weren't many women at Syracuse back then and they had to stick together somewhat. Frances' quote that they couldn't meet at Dr. Brown's because there were Alpha Phi's rooming in his house may not have been totally accurate either. I recall reading that some early meetings did take place there. She was writing in 1912 and recalling things that had taken place decades before. Details do get muddled in our memory over the years.

Seeing as there were two men's fraternities on campus at the time (DKE and DU), it may have seemed natural to have another women's group. Frankly, I am glad Frances had the gumption to do what she did.

I do love the quote from Frances to the effect of, "why couldn't we have a society of our own?" That theme seems to run through the histories of many of the groups.