GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,426
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, Abisha55
» Online Users: 2,473
1 members and 2,472 guests
No Members online

Old 06-10-2009, 01:57 PM
Banned

DITY?
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 06-10-2009, 01:58 PM
GreekChat Member

Based on the NPC and one D9 responses in this thread is the reason for the difference in feeling / attitude towards one's glo after undergrad. What I mean is the attitude for NPC - 'I did it for four years'. The attitude for NPHC - 'I'm doing this for life.'

As Dr. Phil stated it is very common, almost expected for some individuals in the D9 that I know, to wear our letters quite frequently.

To answer the OP - they are YOUR letters that you worked for and earned! Wear them as often and as frequently as you want.
Old 06-10-2009, 02:01 PM
GreekChat Member

I just graduated from medical school and I'm still wearing my letters. Granted, I don't wear them to work except as unobtrusive jewelry, but if it's a cold weekend, you can bet I'm wearing a lettered sweatshirt. My sorority contributed greatly to the person I am today, and I enjoy being able to represent my organization.
Old 06-10-2009, 02:07 PM
Banned

Congratulations to the D-9 GLOs for wearing their letters after graduation. They are proud enough to do so. As to those that laughed at a Sigma Chi alumni I am sure he was/is proud of him being a member of a great organization and why not. I try to wear mine when I can for not only functions but working as I meet many other GLOs that way.
Upsetting is when undergrads do not wear their letters but logo shirts for beer companies or clothing stores. I went through my ritual and earned my letters and badge, I am dang proud of that fact.
Old 06-10-2009, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdeason1 View Post
Congratulations to the D-9 GLOs for wearing their letters after graduation. They are proud enough to do so. As to those that laughed at a Sigma Chi alumni I am sure he was/is proud of him being a member of a great organization and why not. I try to wear mine when I can for not only functions but working as I meet many other GLOs that way.
Upsetting is when undergrads do not wear their letters but logo shirts for beer companies or clothing stores. I went through my ritual and earned my letters and badge, I am dang proud of that fact.
Hey what's up Tom?

Lakers Nation.
Old 06-10-2009, 02:14 PM
Banned

He hid it better this time. I was almost fooled.
Old 06-10-2009, 02:16 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSUViolet06 View Post
Hey what's up Tom?

???? it is Steve.
Old 06-10-2009, 02:32 PM
GreekChat Member

As an advisor I often wear letters if I am going to the chapter for a casual meeting or workshop. It is not uncommon for me to run errands before/after around town. Rather than snide comments or weird looks, people are usually interested and it often prompts a conversation -- especially if Recruitment is coming up.
Old 06-10-2009, 02:33 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticCat View Post
I am over 50 and wear my fraternity letters and crest on knit shirts. I also have a nice jacket with the letters and several hats with the fraternity name on it. I think you should feel free to wear what you want. As someone else said "you earned those letters" wear them proudly.
Old 06-10-2009, 03:49 PM
GreekChat Member

I wear lettered apparel quite a bit as I'm a very proud sister of Delta Delta Delta & my membership is for life; not to mention I have a lot of them. My family has teased me about it but no one else has said anything- that could be partially because people constantly tell me I look 17 lol.
Old 06-10-2009, 04:06 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to PhoenixAzul
I kinda cut back during graduate school, mainly because I was living in a foreign country where Greek Life is SERIOUSLY misunderstood, and it always drew some uncomfortable questions/long explanations. Plus, most students dressed nicely for class, and it made me feel awkward (although I have to cop to going to class in my cycling gear on more than one occasion due to flat tires and running late). I had some event shirts that I'd wear to the gym, in which case I almost always found another Greek student (which was nice).

I'm making most of my shirts into a quilt right now, but I have a few that have some special significance and I'll still wear. And I'll forever rock my "Activation" letters because they're really nice and on a nice hoodie. I use my bag as a gym bag most days as well.
Old 06-10-2009, 04:46 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherKD View Post
Right... so the other day it was actually cold in DC. Figure that. Anyhow, while I will wear old college t-shirts outside and to the gym, some that I got at greek events, I save wearing my letters for just puttering around the house. I went outside to run errands in long-sleeved letters (in fact, the shirt I received from my big when I was initiated) and I got looks that would embarrass anyone. Someone actually said "Reliving glory days? What a loser!"

So my question is this: is there an age where it just becomes... weird to wear letters somewhere? Your comments/advice would be appreciated. And by the way, I am 28 years old. And I look 28. Not 60. Maybe I'm just caring too much about what others think...

Sigh.
Although I am not saying you made this up, I honestly cannot imagine someone saying such a thing out loud.

I think there is nothing wrong with wearing letter shirts (or lavalieres or pins with appropriate attire). Is there something wrong with someone wearing their college's sweatshirt? Isn't it kind of the same thing? It doesn't matter if you are a Harvard graduate or attended State Community College, are/was a member an NPHC organization or NPC, or local or service group - it's a part of who you are.

Putting all rhetoric aside (the argument that membership is for life vs. membership is something you had in college, as well as the "there's a time and place to wear a sweatshirt or t-shirt" argument) - why does age have to factor into the equation?

I have seen sisters of both AXiD and Gamma Sig (I am a member of both orgnizations) wear letters/insignia outside of meetings/events. These women range from their late 20s to their 60s. Just what is so mock worthy or shocking?

Old 06-10-2009, 05:26 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ree-Xi View Post
I have seen sisters of both AXiD and Gamma Sig (I am a member of both orgnizations) wear letters/insignia outside of meetings/events. These women range from their late 20s to their 60s. Just what is so mock worthy or shocking?
I was wondering why it was so shocking, too. Maybe it's a regional thing? I don't really know. I'm graduating in a few days, but I can't imagine never wearing my letters ever again!
Old 06-10-2009, 05:43 PM
GreekChat Member

I live in the DC area as well, and I wear my billboard letters and event shirts occassionally in casual settings (i.e. shopping). No one ever gives me weird looks or comments.

ETA: I am only 23, so maybe I don't get looks because it might not occur to the random passerby that I am not in college anymore. Regardless, why do you care what a random passerby thinks?

Last edited by violetpretty; 06-11-2009 at 12:48 AM.
Old 06-10-2009, 05:48 PM
GreekChat Member

I don't own any letter shirts anymore, but I used to carry AOII tote bags (I need a new one since I wore the others out!) everyday to work. I got a lot of different responses to the bags. Some people were confused that I was displaying letters. Only one person came in and sounded excited to see my AOII letter bag. He said, "Oh, my grandmother, mother and sister are AOIIs!" I'm proud to be an AOII, but I'm not going to buy a new letter shirt that I won't use. I have plenty of screen print shirts for the gym.

AOII

One Motto, One Badge, One Bond and Singleness of Heart!