GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,428
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, baangelasteaxdy
» Online Users: 2,188
1 members and 2,187 guests
No Members online

Old 01-13-2001, 06:33 PM
GreekChat Member

Post Kappa Alpha Order

My son is a member of Kappa Alpha Order. I was wanting find out everyones opionins on this group.

Thanks
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 01-14-2001, 11:21 AM
GreekChat Member

Groups vary so much! I know two different chapters of the KAs, one of them is great and one of them has a lot of problems. Over all I really like them, just because one of my close friends is a KA. I don't know if you wanted to know anything more, so I hope that I answered you.

Old 01-15-2001, 12:37 AM
GreekChat Member

From what I know about KA, they're known for being the archetypal "Southern Gentlemen". As you probably know, they consider Robert E. Lee as one of their spiritual founders, so there is a lot of Confederate loyalty within the group. Their annual event is called "Old South", which has been very controversial at some Southern schools, and as a result, KA is often considered a racist organization. Controversy aside, the KA's I know are very nice men.

Where does your son go to school?

[This message has been edited by AlphaChiGirl (edited January 15, 2001).]
Old 01-15-2001, 03:00 PM
GreekChat Member

They're great guys if you like the southern, racist, good old boy type. You wanted to know the truth, there it is.
Old 01-15-2001, 03:18 PM
GreekChat Member

I have been to 2 different schools that have KA chapters, both were traditional southern colleges. At both schools they all seemed like very nice and very respectful people. I didn't know that many of the guys personaly but was aquaintances with quite a few. At one school, they had been kicked off campus for hazing the year previous to my arrival. I am not sure of all of the details on the hazing incident but it seemed that most students on campus still spoke highly of them.
Old 01-15-2001, 03:43 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Jae:
They're great guys if you like the southern, racist, good old boy type. You wanted to know the truth, there it is.
The truth is what you make it - at our school, KA's were the true gentlemen. They were so different from other frats on campus - and they had several African American, Hispanic, and Asian members (which the other 12 had few if any) so I know for a fact at my school that racist would not apply. If you want to know more about KA's - especially pertaining to your son's chapter - then log on to their website, or call HQ and ask them to send you publications - my parents always received The Lyre of AXO while I was in school.

By the way, Old South, was awesome - it was a very sweet event where the guys treated ladies like ladies and the memories I have are priceless!

------------------
"Alpha Chi Omega - If you only had 2 wishes, what would your second one be?"
Old 01-16-2001, 01:30 AM
GreekChat Member

Thumbs up

The KA chapter at my school had lost their house and last semester got a new really nice one. We did Homecoming with them and they are a fantastic group of guys. I've never heard anyone complain about them. I did hear from my friend, though, that at her school they have a very bad rep because of an incident that occured at their house some years back.
Old 01-16-2001, 03:23 PM
GreekChat Member

Kappa Alpha Order just formed a colony here at my school(University of North Florida). They do have some cool guys but they are already starting stuff with other fraternities on campus(stealing banners, trash talking etc.), but they are the redneck fraternity on campus and pretty much are throughout the south. But its quite obvious why cause their symbol is the rebel cannon, flag is the union jack, they have to face the south when "Dixie" is played and they take their composites in confederate Uniforms. Everyone jokingly says their letters stand for Klan of America and instead of chapter meetings they hold klan meetings. But the BGLO have problems with them cause the ones here have a bumper sticker on their trucks that have a confederate flag with a can of whoop ass next to it that says,"don't make me open a can of whoop-ass on your black ass." And a couple of them have confederate flags attached to their trucks. I don't have a problem with the guys, just what their fraternity is about.
Old 01-17-2001, 12:25 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by UNFSigmaChi:
But its quite obvious why cause their symbol is the rebel cannon, flag is the union jack, they have to face the south when "Dixie" is played and they take their composites in confederate Uniforms. Everyone jokingly says their letters stand for Klan of America and instead of chapter meetings they hold klan meetings. But the BGLOs have problems with them cause the ones here have a bumper sticker on their trucks that have a confederate flag with a can of whoop ass next to it that says,"don't make me open a can of whoop-ass on your black ass." And a couple of them have confederate flags attached to their trucks. I don't have a problem with the guys, just what their fraternity is about.
Wow, I knew that the official symbolism of KA revolved around the Confederate Battle Flag (not the Union Jack), and the guys took their composites in Confederate regalia. The bumper sticker, however, is completely rude. I know at my school (which is a PC bubble, I freely admit that), that sort of behavior wouldn't be tolerated. It's really surprising to me, even as a Southerner (I'm from North Florida), what is tolerated here.

BTW, Sigma Chi is off the hook everywhere I've been...diverse chapters, good guys. Of course, I think every fraternity is full of "good guys", until I have reason to think otherwise.
Old 01-17-2001, 11:16 AM
GreekChat Member

Thanks AlphaChigirl for the EX comment. Our spiriit says we like to have brothers of different temperments, talents and convictions so its always great to hear from people that we are still diverse. I think thats why we are such a large fraternity. Your AlphaChi's here are really awesome and they won derby days this year. We are doing homecoming with them as well.
Old 01-17-2001, 11:21 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to KABillyMac Send a message via Yahoo to KABillyMac
Sir, your son has chosen a fine fraternity. I am a member of the Order at Eastern Kentucky University. Be assured that your son is in good hands and the teachings that he will learn will continue to make you proud. Your son will be learning chivalry and gentility, the teachings of our founding fathers from 136 years ago, that still shine through today. Please do not pay attention to the comments about us being racist. None of the items that were described by the Sigma Chi are recognized by our nationals as "official" Everyone one has love and pride for something, and the KA chapters south of the mason dixon line just happen to be proud of and love the romantisism of the old south. (pre and post civil war) There is a beauty and elegance of the south that cannot be matched anywhere. The rebel flag is NOT our official flag, most of us choose to give it the utmost respect. You can contact me at TRIG243@aol.com if you have any further questions or I can be of any assistance to you or your son. Good luck to both of you.

[This message has been edited by KABillyMac (edited January 17, 2001).]
Old 01-17-2001, 07:35 PM
GreekChat Member

When I went through rush. I wanted to be in the fraternity that got the most girls. Well I talked to a freind from high school, he was a KA. I went to a party with them I was impressed by the way they stood up when a ladie walked into the room. I knew that if it ment that much to them it was important. I went agianist my freinds and joined KA instead of Sigma Chi or Beta theta Pi like everyone else from my high school. I believe in the south and always have, ever since I understood what it ment. I am not a redneck. You will always see me face the south when I hear "OOOOOOOOOOOOHHHHHHHHH I wish I was in the land of cotton." I will still do that even after college. If any one still says that me are racsits then take a drive south of the dixie line and you will understand how I can the love the south so much. The south will always be my first love. My chapter of kappa alpha order is most well respected chapters on the campus. We have been on campus the longest and we are the one of the top 3 on my campus.
Pledge of the Gamma Beta chapter
of
Kappa Alpha Order
Old 01-18-2001, 02:14 PM
GreekChat Member

I love the KAs here, they are always the first to jump up and open a door for a female or offer to buy her a drink or whatever. The chapter here isn't as big as the one at A&M but it's still awesome. I had a blast meeting them at their rush parties.
Old 01-18-2001, 10:22 PM
GreekChat Member

The KA's here are racist and rude. They are not popular on East Carolina's campus and they seem to separate themselves from the other frats.
Old 01-18-2001, 10:52 PM
GreekChat Member

Is there still a KA chapter at Auburn University?