GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,126
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, babobygooglet93
» Online Users: 956
0 members and 956 guests
No Members online

Old 09-07-2012, 09:50 PM
GreekChat Member

Organization held secret interest meeting

The organization I am interested in hosted a secret interest meeting which I was not invited to. I was wondering if you guys could touch on. I am a senior at my university and always wanted to pledge Alpha phi Alpha. I was preparing myself mentally over summer for it and everything just looking forward to it. Nobody on campus knew that I wanted to pledge bc I kept it well discreet.

School starts and I am keeping my eye out for flyers regarding the interest meeting. A few days go by and I hear from a friend that they ALREADY had an interest meeting but I didnt see one flyer up anywhere and believe me I was looking hard! Does this mean they only invited certain people to the interest meeting and did not want the campus to know about it?

After missing the interest meeting I contacted some of the bros I'm cool with to see if theres anything I could do but they never respond to my questions. By them ignoring me I guess that means they dont want me?

I just dont know what to do because I have a 3+GPA, involved around campus, and definitely have a positive reputation for being a cool dude on campus so this just hurts. I know I would of stood out at the interest meeting if I knew about it and was able to attend.

Should I continue to try to contact the members of the organization or just take it as if they do not want me? I do not want to come off as annoying or like a peasant by asking them if its too late to get on line or what.

This all happened within 5 days so I know it cant be too late to get on that line right? Really don't think this is fair because I know I would of stood out at the interest meeting if given that opportunity. Please give me some insight on what I should do from here.

Last edited by drewlong19; 09-07-2012 at 09:53 PM.
Old 09-07-2012, 10:16 PM
Super Moderator

Not a soul here can help you. Perhaps you should contact your Greek Life adviser or work harder to get in touch with these gentlemen?
Mu Tau 5, Central Oklahoma
Old 09-07-2012, 10:20 PM
GreekChat Member

They don't sound like they are interested in pursuing membership with you.
Old 09-07-2012, 10:41 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewlong19 View Post
After missing the interest meeting I contacted some of the bros I'm cool with to see if theres anything I could do but they never respond to my questions. By them ignoring me I guess that means they dont want me?
I'm thinking that you may have answered your own question, that is if their not responding isn't answer enough.

But to the extent you still have questions, I suggest you read this.
Old 09-08-2012, 12:52 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
The organization I am interested in hosted a secret interest meeting which I was not invited to. I was wondering if you guys could touch on. I am a senior at my university and always wanted to pledge Alpha phi Alpha. I was preparing myself mentally over summer for it and everything just looking forward to it. Nobody on campus knew that I wanted to pledge bc I kept it well discreet.

School starts and I am keeping my eye out for flyers regarding the interest meeting. A few days go by and I hear from a friend that they ALREADY had an interest meeting but I didnt see one flyer up anywhere and believe me I was looking hard! Does this mean they only invited certain people to the interest meeting and did not want the campus to know about it?

I just dont know what to do because I have a 3+GPA, involved around campus, and definitely have a positive reputation for being a cool dude on campus so this just hurts. I know I would of stood out at the interest meeting if I knew about it and was able to attend.

Should I continue to try to contact the members of the organization or just take it as if they do not want me? I do not want to come off as annoying or like a peasant by asking them if its too late to get on line or what.

This all happened within 5 days so I know it cant be too late to get on that line right? Really don't think this is fair because I know I would of stood out at the interest meeting if given that opportunity. Please give me some insight on what I should do from here.
I'm not a guy. I'm not in the NPHC. But since you asked in a general forum, I'll bite. Perhaps you did stand out, but not as someone they were interested in. If the members on campus refused to discuss it with you, why would you think that anyone here can answer that question?

Old 09-08-2012, 01:06 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
I just dont know what to do because I have a 3+GPA... I know I would of stood out at the interest meeting
grammar tangent
As an educator, I find it alarming how many students have a decent GPA, yet use the phrase 'would of'. While it bothers me that students do it, it bothers me more that they get away with it as often as they do.
/grammar tangent
Old 09-08-2012, 01:09 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SydneyK View Post
grammar tangent
As an educator, I find it alarming how many students have a decent GPA, yet use the phrase 'would of'. While it bothers me that students do it, it bothers me more that they get away with it as often as they do.
/grammar tangent
THANK you. It's become so commonplace that I've stopped correcting people, but I secretly yell at them in my head!!

Old 09-08-2012, 01:25 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SydneyK View Post
grammar tangent
/grammar tangent
Does it bother you when spoken, or only in print? Because I say "would've" all the time, and I imagine it sounds pretty indistinguishable from "would of." But I've never meant to say "would of" or typed it that way. I realize "would've" is not a proper contraction even in spoken form, but it's how I verbalize "would have." (I also sometimes further contract it to "I'd've", which is always "I would have" in my head, not "I'd of.")
Old 09-08-2012, 01:28 PM

It only bothers me in print. That's a very Pittsburghese way of speaking. However, the Pittsburghers who have been doing it for generations were able to spell it correctly.

Any organization who doesn't advertise openly that they are looking for new members usually 1) doesn't want new members or 2) has a pretty good idea of the new members they want and are already in contact with them through other means. As private organizations, that is their prerogative.
Old 09-08-2012, 05:53 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post
It only bothers me in print.
Me, too. There are plenty of people who pronounce f and v similarly, so I only get itchy when I see it written or in print.

Last edited by ree-Xi; 09-08-2012 at 05:55 PM.
Old 09-08-2012, 09:22 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbear19 View Post
Does it bother you when spoken, or only in print? Because I say "would've" all the time, and I imagine it sounds pretty indistinguishable from "would of." But I've never meant to say "would of" or typed it that way. I realize "would've" is not a proper contraction even in spoken form, but it's how I verbalize "would have." (I also sometimes further contract it to "I'd've", which is always "I would have" in my head, not "I'd of.")
It bothers me only in print. I think 'would've' is a proper contraction, isn't it? I can't imagine why it wouldn't be.

Oh, and, I also say 'I'd've'.
Old 09-09-2012, 08:24 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ree-Xi View Post
Me, too. There are plenty of people who pronounce f and v similarly, so I only get itchy when I see it written or in print.
I get so itchy about "would've" versus "would of" that I have been known to correct strangers.
Old 09-09-2012, 08:32 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post

Any organization who doesn't advertise openly that they are looking for new members usually 1) doesn't want new members or 2) has a pretty good idea of the new members they want and are already in contact with them through other means. As private organizations, that is their prerogative.
To the bold: This is the most likely answer.