GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Recruitment General discussion about recruitment.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,446
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, ageldarkz5086
» Online Users: 1,516
0 members and 1,516 guests
No Members online

Old 09-23-2007, 02:04 PM
GreekChat Member

Can I Join as a Sophomore???

Hey, I go to a large university right now and I am a current sophomore,after this semester I am transfering to the University of Kentucky. I have rushed down here and got numerous bids but did not feel like doing one because they were not that great, however I have visited UK and they look great. My question is as a second semester sophomore will I have any problems joining a fraternity at UK since I am not a freshman or anything?? If I explain I am a transfer will that help? Any advice would be great. If your interested in knowing the school i go to know please send a pm

Last edited by SophFrat; 09-23-2007 at 03:32 PM.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 09-23-2007, 02:12 PM
GreekChat Member

Call the Office of Greek Life/Fraternity Affairs at UK and talk to them. They can give you statistics on rush and upperclassmen placement.

Universally, fraternity rush is a lot more laid back than sorority rush. In my experience with several college campuses across North America, sophomore men do just fine at fraternity rush. The fraternities are not as concerned with pledging freshmen as the sororities tend to be.

This advice does not guarantee you will receive a bid to membership at a UK fraternity, but unless UK does things very, very differently, sophomore men/transfers won't be at any significant disadvantage over the other students coming out to rush.

Good luck.
Old 09-23-2007, 02:17 PM
GreekChat Member

UK has a Greek Affairs web site, that might be helpful to you.

http://www.uky.edu/StudentAffairs/Greek/
Old 09-26-2007, 12:28 AM
GreekChat Member

Sophomore joining a fraternity at UK

Yes, you are right, UK has great fraternities and a strong Greek system overall. I went there quite awhile back, but as an alumnae, I am familiar with the campus culture. Every fraternity at UK is very different. While you should be at no specific disadvantage while rushing as a sophomore, some fraternities there may prefer to pledge freshmen that will be able to be active longer. Be prepared for this possibility. Other than that, I can basically give you the same advice most other GC'ers would: stay open to all possibilities, and pledge where your heart is. If you have specific questions or need more advice, let us know.
Old 09-26-2007, 09:02 PM
GreekChat Member

Unless things have changed, all UK chapters have a Spring Rush. And since UK is the flagship university for the Commonwealth, transfers are expected.

You may also want to check out the Interfraternity Council of The University of Kentucky website.

On! On! U of K