GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > GLO Specific Forums > Kappa > Kappa Kappa Gamma

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,417
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, DemetraMau
» Online Users: 1,167
4 members and 1,163 guests
flamboyanttree, John, LaneSig

Old 07-04-2003, 04:26 PM
GreekChat Member

Question Legally Blonde 2

Hi Y'all!
I know Legally Blonde 2 just came out, so I won't say anything specific, but I was just wondering if anyone knew how they got permission to use Kappa's name (especially in the context in which it was used)...Also, was anyone else a little peeved at that less than flattering comment? I don't want anyone to think I'm bashing on the movie...overall, I loved it and highly reccommend it, I was just puzzled over how they could mention Kappa.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 07-04-2003, 04:43 PM
GreekChat Member

I haven't seen it yet. Did they say "Kappa" or "Kappa Kappa Gamma"? That might make a big difference legally.

And, yes, I would get ticked off if Kappa was mentioned in a less-than-flattering manner. Just jealousy, I guess!
Old 07-04-2003, 04:58 PM
GreekChat Member

They used the full name: Kappa Kappa Gamma, and then referred to it subsequently as "Kappa" I don't understand how this is legally allowed (but then, maybe I'm just still too fired up from the movie )

L&L,
Julia
Old 07-04-2003, 06:59 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by yaykappa171
They used the full name: Kappa Kappa Gamma, and then referred to it subsequently as "Kappa" I don't understand how this is legally allowed (but then, maybe I'm just still too fired up from the movie )
Then I'm at a loss. I hate that our beloved Kappa was used in a not-so-flattering way.
Old 07-07-2003, 09:44 AM
GreekChat Member

Probably the same way..

They probably got permission the same way Saturday Night Live got permission for "Delta Delta Delta can I help ya help ya help ya"

That is, they didn't and they don't have to. Parody.

Although, that rule only applies to things that are copyrighted, I don't think it applies to trademark. So, if the use of "Kappa" in the movie would "confuse and mislead the public" then they might have a case that the movie studio misused a trademark.

Hmm. Now I have to go watch the movie....
Old 08-05-2003, 04:31 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to KappaKittyCat
Yeah, I was a little peeved at that. I wasn't sure what shea meant by it-- i.e. which way we'd go-- but either way it wasn't flattering. If we're in favor of using tongue, then we're sluts. If we're against it, then we're frigid.

But since they did such a good job of portraying sororities with Delta Nu, I'll let them off the hook.
Old 08-05-2003, 10:26 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to sherbertlemons
In the book version of Legally Blonde, the real murderer is a Kappa Kappa Gamma. Of course, the book's basically awful anyways.

I'm not sure- definitely not an expert- but to make a case for a trademark violation, wouldn't they have to make a case that their use of the name would imply that the movie was somehow affiliated or endorsed by Kappa?
Old 08-11-2003, 06:29 PM
GreekChat Member

I'm sorry, but I just thought it was funny. My friend Tracy and I laughed for five minutes. I think the only people that would really even notice this or spend any time thinking about it are Kappas (who already know what a fabulous org we are!) and other people already in the Greek system, who have already formed their opinions about the sluttiness or frigidness of Kappas.
Old 08-30-2003, 09:19 AM
GreekChat Member

hi!

I'm crashing the forum

I was shocked by the reference. I thought it was inappropriate and they should have made up a Greek group if they were even going to bash anyone at all. They shouldn't have bashed anyone at all to start with.

The book is HORRIBLE. its the worst written book ever and basically the author bashes every Panhel group possible. I was bored at Target waiting for my pictures from 1 hour so I picked it up to browse it.

If you watch the deleted scenes on the DVD for the original Legally Blonde, they also bash Kappa again as well as AXO from what i remember.

I also know the original Legally blonde screenplay was written by a greek. I don't know about the 2nd but it wasn't the same person.
Old 09-04-2003, 04:25 PM
GreekChat Member

I just watched the DVD of Legally Blonde this weekend and watched the deleted scenes.

I know they referenced sororities but it was NOT a real NPC sorority.

Could you have perhaps misheard? Or, could the change have been made pre duplication of the DVD and they dubbed my version?

Interesting...
Old 10-02-2003, 05:16 PM
GreekChat Member

Im sorry to crash, but I am glad you pointed this out. I will have to go watch the movie again...

One of the screenwriters is an Alpha Gam and one of the other screenwriters is from another group...dont know which, but I doubt they would be intentionally mean to other groups!

**off to rent legally blonde**
Old 10-02-2003, 05:37 PM
GreekChat Member

Sorry to crash your board ladies, but I want to point out that Karen Lutz, the Alpha Gam Wendy is referring to, wrote the screenplay for the first "Legally Blond" only. She wasn't involved in the sequel.

Which is a good thing, because I was pretty unpleasantly shocked when I heard that reference to Kappa Kappa Gamma.

So please don't blame us for the offending comment! We didn't do it!
Old 10-03-2003, 01:25 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to KappaChris
hey y'all...
just on this note about legally blonde....i'm really curious about this now...
i'm from the san francisco area and when the first legally blonde movie came out a few years ago reese witherspoon did an interview with a local radio station in the bay area...and the DJs asked her how she got to portray her character and where she got the inspiration for it...
well, reese said that she spent time at a sorority house at USC. the DJs asked which one (because one of the DJs was a Pi Phi) and she said Kappa Gamma....
when i heard this i was TOTALLY shocked...but now that this is coming up with the movie, i wonder if any USC KKGs can shed some light on this....
like i said this was on the radio and i have no idea if reese witherspoon was joking or not....
but i've been curious about it ever since....

thanks,
christina
Old 10-03-2003, 08:20 AM
GreekChat Member

That's funny. I have heard that she choose Delta Nu based on the DG chapter at USC (they are Alpha Nu). I was a Kappa at the "other" USC, so I can't be much help commenting on the Kappas at southern cal!
Old 10-04-2003, 04:05 PM
GreekChat Member

Personally, I just found the whole thing quite funny. When I saw it in theatre, and heard Kappa, I was like...whoa! And then I heard the rest of what she said and started laughing.

Besides, really, the only people who would notice such things would be people who are in the greek system. And more specifically, only the people who have a Kappa chapter on campus. All of the non-Greeks out there wouldn't have a clue, I don't think.

Anyway, I'll stop rambling.