GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,417
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, DemetraMau
» Online Users: 1,106
2 members and 1,104 guests
LaneSig

Old 03-30-2017, 12:00 PM
GreekChat Member

Question Junior Unsure about Doing Formal Recruitment or Joining a Colony!

Hi everyone!

I just transferred to Arizona State University this spring! (With 3 or maybe 4 semesters to go.) That being said, I'm 21 years old. (Which is older than the typical rushee!) Because I transferred in the spring, I was unable to go through formal (fall) recruitment, and due to personal family issues I missed spring recruitment. I did meet with some houses that were doing COB but I think due to the personal issues I was facing at the time with my family; the meetings didn't go great. I did stay on good terms with the ones I met, and I did politely explain my personal situation and issues I was having at the time. One of the COB chapter's I did like, did not offer me a bid, but I harbor no ill feelings towards them at all! I feel like it may have been a blessing in disguise for me to wait for fall recruitment. That way, I can meet all the chapters! However...

Alpha Omicron Pi (AOII) just announced they will be colonizing at ASU this Fall (2017 semester.) I now am in the process of debating if I should go through fall recruitment or if I should try to go for AOII!

I'm a junior, as I stated. If my grades stay the way they do, I will likely have a 3.49 GPA for Fall semester. I'm currently the President of a new club/organization I founded (with some friends) this semester and do know that will take up a lot of my time in the fall. Being involved in Greek Life is something I have always wanted to do, and I know that I possess the qualities that a lot of sororities look for. I'm a very driven individual, I'd like to think I'm a fun person to be around (lol), and I want the most out of my college experience and make a difference at ASU.

At ASU, I've been told that there are chapters that do not extend bids to juniors. This is something I'm aware of, so if I did choose to go through Fall recruitment, I won't be blind-sided. I just am unsure of what to do because I have heard colonizing a chapter can be very time consuming and I will already be President of another club. But I also believe that being a founding member would be really rewarding...I know that joining an already established chapter possibly may be a better option (if I receive a bid,) because I already have a commitment to my founded club.

What do you all think could be the best option for me? Rushing in the Fall or colonizing? If anyone has any helpful information on colonizing they could refer, that would help me greatly!

Thank you for reading! <3

Last edited by lovelygirl801; 03-30-2017 at 12:08 PM.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 03-30-2017, 12:45 PM
GreekChat Member

I don't think it has to be an either/or. You could go through fall recruitment and then look at colony recruitment for the new chapter if you don't receive a bid through formal. I'm not familiar with ASU and upperclassmen recruitment, so I will let someone with that expertise weigh in on whether you should go through as a junior. But do know that many sorority members are very involved in more than one organization on campus and may also work. The key is to use good time management skills to balance all of the commitments.
Old 03-30-2017, 12:53 PM
GreekChat Member

Thank you for the reply! I may be incorrect in assuming that I thought that if you went through formal, you could not do any other type of 'sorority related events' if you were extended a bid? I guess I'm just confused on how I could do both if it was possible?
Old 03-30-2017, 01:07 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovelygirl801 View Post
Thank you for the reply! I may be incorrect in assuming that I thought that if you went through formal, you could not do any other type of 'sorority related events' if you were extended a bid? I guess I'm just confused on how I could do both if it was possible?
If you are offered a bid and turn it down, you are not eligible to go through colony recruitment. If you go through formal recruitment and then withdraw on the night final selections are made, you would still be able to go through colony recruitment.
Old 03-30-2017, 03:44 PM
GreekChat Member

Only if you sign a bid card and match in formal recruitment would you be barred from colony recruitment. You'd be matched and have a group anyway so why would you want to do colony recruitment??? So go thru and if you don't want any of the groups who you pref, don't sign a bid card and then go thru colony recruitment. But keep in mind, you might not get a bid there....a bird/bid in the hand is worth two in the bush - so to speak.
Old 03-30-2017, 04:21 PM

Is AOII participating in formal rush at all? Sometimes a colonizing group participates in the opening round of formal rush so PNMs can get a glimpse at them. Or are they not doing any activities until formal rush is totally over?
Old 03-30-2017, 07:13 PM
GreekChat Member

I would advise you to go through formal recruitment and see how that goes, and then consider the colonizing sorority after you see how formal recruitment goes.

It is common for the colonizing organization to do at least a presentation or round at the beginning of recruitment to make sure that the PNMs get a feel for them and then step back and recruit after formal recruitment.

You would only be out of the running for a colonizing sorority if you went through formal recruitment and signed your bid card after pref night and were matched with a house. Which would mean that you would have a bid! Otherwise (if you withdrew yourself from formal recruitment or if you were cut by all the houses on your campus) you would be eligible to go through the colonization process even after participating in formal recruitment.

The colonization might end up being your best chance of getting into a sorority depending on your campus culture and how competitive it is (sorry, not familiar with ASU so I can't speak any specifics), but you won't lose anything by going through formal recruitment and colony recruitment is by no means a given. Colonies are very selective in the first members they choose.

Colonizations are time consuming and need committed members (it sounds like you would be committed to any organization you join...and that is great!), but at the same time not every colony member needs to be involved on the highest level of involvement. That's to say...you can be a regular colony member and not run for any leadership positions and that will allow you more time to do other extracurriculars. If you find later that you do want to be a leader in your chapter and you have the time then by all means do it, but I think that being a regular colony member can be balanced with many other things (doing well in school, being involved in other clubs, etc.) as long as you manage your time well. And managing your time well is a skill you should learn now because it will help in the future.

I will also say that I don't know specifics about Alpha Omicron Pi colonization, but two of my best friends were colony members for two different sororities on two different campuses and each of them still had time to do other extracurricular activities. I know every sorority and every campus can be different, but it's not like their life became solely about the colony once they joined. Sorority members find ways to manage their time so that they can be involved in their sorority and other activities.

P.S. Make sure you get recommendations for ALL the sororities on your campus...including the colonizing sorority! Some sororities require recommendations for you to be eligible to receive a bid and it's a simple thing to do. Best to put your best foot forward and be safe than sorry

I would start thinking about recommendations now. If you need help with finding recommendations, this thread might help: http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/sh...d.php?t=224976

Last edited by robinseggblue; 03-30-2017 at 07:44 PM.
Old 03-30-2017, 07:58 PM
GreekChat Member

Please consider the new group you are the first president of your first priority. You state you know the group you began will take a lot of your time this Fall. How is that not enough on your plate? Any new org needs strong leadership for the first years, and as its first president you will be setting the tone for its future.

ALL sororities are time-consuming on members, not just colonies. While its best to meet all the chapters at formal in Fall, your invitation options may be small. Women will see your important leadership role, but (being honest) some will wonder if you will have the time to lead and participate within two groups.

And you are already aware there are some groups who will not bid juniors.

Please also do not consider a colony bid 'easier' on your time. While its nice to bid the president of a new campus group, its even nicer when that woman can attend your new member meetings and participate often with her new pledge sisters.
Old 03-30-2017, 08:09 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheerio View Post
Please consider the new group you are the first president of your first priority. You state you know the group you began will take a lot of your time this Fall. How is that not enough on your plate? Any new org needs strong leadership for the first years, and as its first president you will be setting the tone for its future.

ALL sororities are time-consuming on members, not just colonies. While its best to meet all the chapters at formal in Fall, your invitation options may be small. Women will see your important leadership role, but (being honest) some will wonder if you will have the time to lead and participate within two groups.
Your viewpoint is valid, but I still would question: why can't she do both? Maybe she can't...if her new organization is as time consuming as, say, a full time job clearly she can't do both. But I'd bet her organization is not that time consuming, even if it is time consuming.

There are so many Greek Life members who participate in many campus activities that are time consuming (sports teams, Student Government, running large clubs and charity organizations on campus, etc.). These members might not be leaders within their chapters (not everyone is going to be a leader within a GLO and that's okay!) but they add a lot to their chapters even if they are really busy and can't make absolutely every event (but clearly, a member should do their best to make the vast majority of events), and at least for my organization having members who are involved on campus and having that campus visibility is something that we value.

I've seen other organizations value the same thing, and we always stress that girls should be involved on campus and show leadership potential in order to maximize their chances at recruitment. Founding an organization and leading it is a huge show of initiative and leadership.

I agree that a new organization needs strong leadership, but there is such a huge variability in time commitment and I am willing to bet that it's likely that lovelygirl801 could make both work together unless the founding organization time commitment really is huge.

Also, a good leader knows when to delegate. I would bet that there is an Executive Board to this organization (if there is not then there should be) and that work can be delegated appropriately so that one person isn't swamped with all the work. If, after that, she really doesn't have time to be a sorority member...she should know that deep down and that's where I think that your questions, Cheerio, come in most helpful.

(Lovelygirl801...don't respond with specifics...I don't want someone to recognize who you are on this website. What you need to do is personally evaluate whether you have the time to give to a sorority and come to your own conclusion about what you want to do based on that.)

Last edited by robinseggblue; 03-30-2017 at 08:16 PM.
Old 03-31-2017, 01:17 AM
GreekChat Member

Thank you everyone for your responses in trying to help!

The reason I was torn between formal recruitment and AOII colonization is because I absolutely love the idea of being a part of a new chapter on campus! I think that being able to make an actual impact on the history of the school, and the chapter's future sounds wonderful to me. I have been told by a reliable source that AOII will be doing their events AFTER formal recruitment.

I understand that I can participate in both (formal and or colonization,) but I do feel in my personal opinion that if I went through formal recruitment and dropped prior to bidding, that it seems almost rude to the system of rushing. That might sound rather odd... but I feel that it could make AOII think they were a second choice if I dropped after going through formal to try and "join" AOII. In reality that's the last thing I'd want them to feel!

The organization I am a part of does have an executive board and the time commitment will be timely, but I do believe I can do both! Also, Cheerio, I very much understand that colonization is a very intensive process. Trust me, I don't find it any easier and I respect it.

I really thank you all for your opinions on the matter. Now hearing more of how I feel, does anyone have any additional advice?

Last edited by lovelygirl801; 03-31-2017 at 01:47 AM.
Old 03-31-2017, 02:59 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
I understand that I can participate in both (formal and or colonization,) but I do feel in my personal opinion that if I went through formal recruitment and dropped prior to bidding, that it seems almost rude to the system of rushing. That might sound rather odd... but I feel that it could make AOII think they were a second choice if I dropped after going through formal to try and "join" AOII. In reality that's the last thing I'd want them to feel!
This seems silly to me. You are limiting your options to one house that may or may not take you for silly reasons.

Let me ask you an honest question...Would you rather be Greek? Or is it AOII at all costs and if you can't be an AOII you would rather not be Greek at all?

Because that's what this boils down to. The system of rushing doesn't care if you rush and drop. And I doubt AOII will either...I'm not an AOII so I don't know their membership selection rules, but a certain number of girls going through colony recruitment have generally gone through recruitment before and may have dropped for various reasons or been dropped. It seems like a silly thing to think any colonizing sorority would hold that against you. If you fit what they are looking for they will want you.

Not to mention that you will have a chance to see all the chapters if you do formal. Or that if you go through formal and then you get dropped and go through colonization, you'll have practice with recruitment to some degree. I know the two aren't the same process but I still think that can be useful.
Old 03-31-2017, 06:10 AM
Super Moderator

It is not rude to the sororities to go through formal recruitment and not join. PNMs do it every year for various reasons. It will be expected during a colonization. As long as you don't sign your formal recruitment bid card, the MRABA, you could even attend the final round of formal recruitment( pref) and withdraw after those parties are over.
Old 03-31-2017, 08:48 AM
GreekChat Member

A colonizing group cares not that women went thru formal recruitment and dropped out. If they did, why would they have an open house the first day of recruitment, which is standard in the industry, if they weren't targeting THOSE women? Your thought is very misguided. And I echo the question - would you be OK not being Greek if AOII doesn't work out? A lot to think about because it is NOT about the 2 years you are in school, it's about LIFETIME membership.
Old 03-31-2017, 10:25 AM
GreekChat Member

You all make really good points. It does seem kind of silly I suppose to feel that way when other girls may have done this same thing before! I have no bias towards really any chapter and honestly would just prefer to find whichever sorority feels like home! So, what you're all referring to with signing a bid card happens at which stage in the rush process? That's the last stage, correct? Thanks for all the honest feedback btw!

Last edited by lovelygirl801; 03-31-2017 at 10:32 AM.
Old 03-31-2017, 11:25 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to AZ-AlphaXi
Quote:
...... So, what you're all referring to with signing a bid card happens at which stage in the rush process? That's the last stage, correct? Thanks for all the honest feedback btw!
Yes, after attending preference parties, the last set of invitational parties of formal recruitment, you will be asked to sign an agreement listing the chapters from which you would accept a bid. If you sign the agreement and if you are offered a bid from one of those chapters, you would be ineligible for the colony's recruitment. If you sign the agreement and do not receive a bid, you would be eligible.