GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,126
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, babobygooglet93
» Online Users: 1,591
1 members and 1,590 guests
bjenzdarka5720

Old 04-06-2007, 10:12 PM
GreekChat Member

33Girls, that's part of what I was wondering too. I guess the people who would do the snap bidding are also the ones who know why people were released?

But again, I'm not sure how often it's the case that the girls who get snapped were cut by the group.

I don't know of anyone getting snap bid before the end of rush.
Old 04-06-2007, 10:42 PM
GreekChat Member

Back in my day, when we didn't have release figures, snap bidding was pretty rare. If we had cut someone, then it was because we really didn't want them as a sister. However, if you have to cut a lot of women due to release figures, I can see how a chapter could end up cutting some women that they really did like.
Old 04-07-2007, 06:37 PM
GreekChat Member

From experience, snap bidding can be very successful. On UGA's campus it is pretty much a necessity and I would say that about 1/3 of the groups take part in snap bidding. NPC lets the houses who didn't make quota know their bid list and they give them the list of bidless women. This list includes women the group dropped, women who dropped out of recruitment but checked a box on their resignation forms to leave them on the list, and women who dropped the group. Then it is pretty much a free for all to call the women and offer them bids. It all depends who reaches them first which group gets the bidless women. A women who suicided is ineligible for QUOTA ADDITIONS but not for snap bidding. They want everyone to find a home. I know they woke us up on bid at 6:45 am to start making snap bid phone calls.

honey, just cause i talk slow doesn't mean that i'm stupid
Old 04-08-2007, 07:46 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to DeltaBetaBaby
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alphagamuga View Post
These answers explain why you wouldn't really know how it worked unless you actually did bid matching or were the one who extended the snap bid. Thank you for explaining.

But in almost all of these examples, it seem like the only way that a girl might get a snap bid from a chapter that cut her would be in she dropped out of rush (which makes sense because if she continued, she would probably have matched with someone else).

Those of you who did snap bidding as advisers or bid matching teams, can you think of cases in which you gave a snap bid to a girl who you cut? (Not to be too darkly cynical, but isn't this where the stories about "computer glitches" usually have their origins?)
Hahaha, there is NO SUCH THING as a computer glitch...only user error.

Without getting too much into MS, many snap bids at Illinois were women who dropped out of rush. Keep in mind that schools with tons of chapters have GRUELING schedules, so there are plenty of women who drop out for reasons other than "didn't like invites".

Another type of snap bid went to women who did not participate in formal recruitment. Think of this as early COB, but if you could get the girl to sign a card on bid day and join the NM class, she would then be in the mix with everyone else, and she would be bound to your chapter for one year. The key here is that the girl would have to have been contacted after the FR deadline.

And yes, plenty of chapter abuse the privelege if they know they will be under total even if they make quota.
Old 04-08-2007, 10:05 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeltaBetaBaby View Post

Another type of snap bid went to women who did not participate in formal recruitment. Think of this as early COB, but if you could get the girl to sign a card on bid day and join the NM class, she would then be in the mix with everyone else, and she would be bound to your chapter for one year. The key here is that the girl would have to have been contacted after the FR deadline.

And yes, plenty of chapter abuse the privelege if they know they will be under total even if they make quota.
Wow. I had never even thought of this! It it allowed everywhere? It seems like it would be really helpful for chapters that appeal to and are willing to make contact with girls who would never consider going through formal rush. I always assumed you'd have to wait until after formal rush was completely over and you were having COB events. Do these kind of snap bid count against the fall rush quota?
Old 04-08-2007, 10:06 PM
GreekChat Member

Is that above type of snap bid allowed at UGA?
Old 04-08-2007, 10:44 PM
GreekChat Member

That wasn't considered a "snap bid" at our school. It was a COB. But the girls were called to show up on bid day so that no one would really know the difference. Occasionally we'd do this with someone we wanted to bid the previous semester but didn't get a chance before it was too late in the year.
Old 04-08-2007, 11:37 PM
GreekChat Member

It just seems like an amazing opportunity to get a lot of girls who would never do formal rush at a time of the year when it would be best for everyone to do it if most of your campus doesn't do COB or spring rush.

Did it count against your quota for the fall or just against chapter total? Could you do it if your graduating senior dropped you below total over the summer or only if you were below chapter total with all the senior members?
Old 04-09-2007, 12:39 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to jadis96 Send a message via Yahoo to jadis96
Quote:
Originally Posted by ForeverRoses View Post

I guess you have to remember that sometimes a girl will cut ABC sorority not because she hated them, but because she can only go to so many parties, and ABC might be 4th on her list, and she can only go to 3.
My only experience with snap bidding was on the side of the chapter and normally at my school (back in the day 8 years ago) this is what happened. PNMs had to pick 13chapters, 7chapters, 4 chapters, 2 chapters. A girl could rank ABC chapter as her choice for 3rd but only got to attend 2 parties so getting a bid was still something she might want from that chapter because it was still in her upper choices.

Yet again my experiences here are older though.
Old 04-09-2007, 12:43 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to jadis96 Send a message via Yahoo to jadis96
Quote:

Any maybe in a lot of cases it'd be too complicated to go back and offer a girl you released a bid. I'm tending to think in terms of girls the group liked but were below the few they could keep with releases. But maybe retroactively there's no way to know why someone was released: maybe they were released purely on numbers, maybe they were released because they were skanky. Nobody would want to take a chance on getting that wrong.
I know that snap bids on my campus were never offered if the chapter had dropped the girl for any reason EXCEPT numbers. If it was a case of her being dropped because someone felt she was not worthy of being in letters then she did not receive a snap bid from that chapter no matter what the quota situation was.
Old 04-09-2007, 07:57 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeltaBetaBaby View Post

Correct me if I misunderstand how this works, but if a chapter is under campus total (regardless if they make quota or not), NPC rules allows them to bid until they make total. So the sooner a chapter can bid a PNM, the less time (and numbers) the chapter needs to COB during the rest of the semester to reach total. That doesn't sound like an abuse at all. Snap bidding when you aren't at total early on seems like smart membership recruitment to me.
Old 04-09-2007, 08:17 PM
GreekChat Member

It might be abused if a chapter made contact with people in ways that were contrary to the deadlines.
Old 04-09-2007, 08:20 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to DeltaBetaBaby
Quote:
Originally Posted by TSteven View Post
Correct me if I misunderstand how this works, but if a chapter is under campus total (regardless if they make quota or not), NPC rules allows them to bid until they make total. So the sooner a chapter can bid a PNM, the less time (and numbers) the chapter needs to COB during the rest of the semester to reach total. That doesn't sound like an abuse at all. Snap bidding when you aren't at total early on seems like smart membership recruitment to me.
Yes, finding women who did not participate in FR and asking them to join is a good thing. Encouraging women in FR to drop out because you are promising them a bid is not.

And yes, it is more of a COB than a snap bid, except that they are there on bid day and nobody in the pledge class ever has to know they didn't rush.
Old 04-09-2007, 08:35 PM
GreekChat Member

Oooh, I hadn't even thought of that abuse: using it as a way to get more girls out of fall rush than quota. I can see how that could get really bad, but on the other hand, my extremely limited experience is that groups that know they are going to be below chapter total even after formal rush aren't typically the groups that people would drop out for, but it certainly could happen every once and a while.

At campuses where this type of COB/Snap bid happens, can you talk to girls about this option in the spring, wait until after the fall rush deadline and then offer the bids? Or are you not allowed to even mention the possibility to a girl until after the fall recruitment deadline?

(I'm not thinking of talking to high school freshmen, I'm talking about girls who will be sophomores or juniors.)
Old 04-12-2007, 11:07 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Oooh, I hadn't even thought of that abuse: using it as a way to get more girls out of fall rush than quota. I can see how that could get really bad, but on the other hand, my extremely limited experience is that groups that know they are going to be below chapter total even after formal rush aren't typically the groups that people would drop out for, but it certainly could happen every once and a while.
My mom's sorority on her campus actually put girls low on their bid list when they knew the girls would suicide so that when they hit quota (without going too far down the list) they could snap bid the girls who suicided to fill to total. This seems like another way to abuse snap bids to get more than quota out of fall rush... and what a terrible time for the girls who had to get the mismatch phone call and then wait for a snap bid! My mom's number one advice to me going through was not to tell my house I was suiciding just in case they were planning to do the same thing!

Like notmanhattan said, a lot of houses at UGA have to snap bid at least a couple girls (whether it's to get quota or to fill to total) and I think the way houses choose who they snap is as different as Membership Selection! I knew a girl who got a call with a snap bid her freshman year from a house she cut after round one! I would think most houses try to offer bids to girls who visited during round three or prefs, but maybe other houses are willing to offer them to girls who they liked early on even though those girls did not keep them on their party lists. I'm sure it always depends on the girl, the circumstances of who cut who and why, and the number of snaps the chapter needs to extend to meet their goal.