GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,126
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, babobygooglet93
» Online Users: 845
1 members and 844 guests
babobygooglet93

Old 12-23-2006, 02:01 AM
GreekChat Member

informal recruitment..as a junior??

I go to an SEC school that has deferred formal recruitment in January, so most girls who rush are second-semester freshmen. We have fall recruitment, which is much more informal, and the girls who rush then are usually sophomores and transfers. I want to do fall rush (informal recruitment) next year as a junior (I'm a sophomore right now but I'll be abroad next semester and won't be able to go through rush). Honestly, what do you all think my chances are?? Will it be really weird that I'm rushing as a junior, and will that hurt me? I really want to rush (and hopefully join a sorority!) and the idea that I might not be wanted just because I waited so long really stresses me out! Thanks in advance for your replies!!
Old 12-25-2006, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gababit View Post
I go to an SEC school that has deferred formal recruitment in January, so most girls who rush are second-semester freshmen. We have fall recruitment, which is much more informal, and the girls who rush then are usually sophomores and transfers. I want to do fall rush (informal recruitment) next year as a junior (I'm a sophomore right now but I'll be abroad next semester and won't be able to go through rush). Honestly, what do you all think my chances are?? Will it be really weird that I'm rushing as a junior, and will that hurt me? I really want to rush (and hopefully join a sorority!) and the idea that I might not be wanted just because I waited so long really stresses me out! Thanks in advance for your replies!!
Why didn't you do fall rush this year?
Old 12-25-2006, 10:16 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to DeltaBetaBaby
It kinda depends how many spaces are open for fall rush, and in which chapters...

Chapters participating in fall recruitment are those that are below total starting the school year, so they have a chance to catch up before formal recruitment. So let's say quota is usually 50. Most chapters will have 200 women right after formal recruitment, then graduate about 50, and return to campus in the fall with 150. Therefore, total is probably around 150.

If a chapter happens to have, say, taken 5 sophomores in their pledge class in the spring of 2004, maybe they graduated 55, and return to campus with only 145. In that case, they can fill five spots to catch up to the other groups before formal recruitment, and they will probably just grab friends of current members and such, and do it pretty quietly. In fact, a lot of chapters in that situation wouldn't even bother, for fear of damaging their reputation, and would just rush with 5 fewer girls.

OTOH, if there is a chapter on your campus that consistently misses quota, taking only 40 per year, then they may return with only 120 women. In that case, they have 30 spots to fill, and they are likely to have a less prestigious reputation. In that case, they are likely to fill as many spots as they can without compromising their values, and would rather take an awesome junior than leave a spot open.

So, the point is, the answer to your question depends a lot on whether you would be willing to look at the type of chapter I described in the second example.

***disclaimer: I have no idea what campus we are talking about, and therefore I have no idea if there is a chapter that misses quota every year, but from what I know, most campuses have that one group that just doesn't shine during formal recruitment.***
Old 12-27-2006, 07:09 PM
Banned

It's not weird to rush as a junior but all other things being equal your chances are not as good as if you were a sophomore so you are going to really have to sell yourself during rush. I would think up a good answer if you are asked why you did not rush before like "I didn't realize what I would be missing". Study abroad is a plus as this is considered very cool and will give you something to talk about during rush.
All this being said I would just do it. If you don't you will not be in a sorority and will regret that you did not even try. If it does not work out you will be in the same position you are now. It will really hurt to do it and not get a bid but this is just the risk you are going to have to accept.
I hope this has helped. Good luck and let us know how it turns out.
Old 12-28-2006, 10:49 AM
GreekChat Member

I agree with DeltaBetaBaby...
Specifically at Vandy, in my experience, there are maybe 3-4 chapters that would actively participate in fall recruitment and even consider a junior. I think its critical that a junior (and to some extent a sophomore) already be friends with several women in a chapter. If a woman is already friends with a lot of the sisters, the chapter as a whole will be a lot more likely to welcome that woman in and they will also be more aware of the reasons you did not join a group before now. If you have not already, I would certainly suggest narrowing down the groups you are interested in and letting your friends in those groups know of your interest so they can start spreading the word to their sisters and feeling out interest. Good luck!
Old 12-28-2006, 01:01 PM
GreekChat Member

Deltabetababy - excellent explanation!
Old 01-02-2007, 05:10 PM
GreekChat Member

So I should definitely talk to members of the sororities I'm interested in and let them know I'll be rushing in the fall?? I was thinking I should do that, but I didn't want to seem tacky/rude by bringing it up, but it sounds more acceptable when you put it that way!! Thanks for all the replies, I'll definitely try to keep you all updated!