GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > Entertainment

Entertainment TV, movies, music, books, sports, radio...

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,126
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, babobygooglet93
» Online Users: 1,574
1 members and 1,573 guests
bjenzdarka5720

Old 12-21-2014, 06:41 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhoyaltempest View Post
You can find a collective statement here: http://www.nphchq.org/nphc-statement...ority-sisters/

I just want to point out that while the show may be entertaining to some, most likely those women are not active Alumnae members and therefore not an accurate representation of sorority life after college. Sorority life after college for D9 sororities means being active in Alumnae chapters.
The majority of initiates are inactive after they graduate anyway. It is a reflection of the culture of sorority life, but not a reflection of active membership.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthMode View Post
^^^There are allegations that one of them (Adrene) is actually a perp. No evidence either way that I've seen.
Well no, the woman in the episode confirmed that she's not a perp. Plus my friend who is a Delta knows Adrene personally.
Old 12-21-2014, 02:44 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sen's Revenge View Post
The majority of initiates are inactive after they graduate anyway. It is a reflection of the culture of sorority life, but not a reflection of active membership.
I hear what you're saying but when I think of "Sorority Life" after college I think of active Alumnae members who run around advising undergrad chapters, work in the community, attend meetings and leadership workshops, etc. (and if you're an officer it can feel like a 2nd job). I'm not thinking about members who have graduated getting together and reminiscing about when they pledged. So I guess it's just a matter of perception.
Old 12-21-2014, 02:46 PM

This comment has nothing to do with Greek life. What is with the bad/overused highlighter? Is this like super pale women running around doing bad contour? They look fine when they film them just living their lives, but the interview segments are another story.
Old 01-06-2015, 01:04 PM
Banned

I watched last night. This show is realistic based on what happens in some settings. With hundreds of thousands of members, there is the good with the bad. The argument at the Hawaiian themed event reminded me of disagreements that I have witnessed over the years at the collegiate level and alumnae level. Real talk.

There was an after show for last night's episode but I quickly lost interest. I'm sure they weren't saying anything important.

I don't think this show paints NPHC sororities (especially Delta) in a negative light. Aside from the legal and policy issues pertaining to using our sororities' official symbols. Other than that, BLAH. This show will lose steam because Real Housewives of ATL is more amusing---despite NeNe's unfunny self--and random sorority women arguing nonstop is just less interesting in the longterm.

@ lemon squeeze...gotta love our Delta mediation traditions.
Old 01-06-2015, 01:43 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrPhil View Post
I watched last night. This show is realistic based on what happens in some settings. With hundreds of thousands of members, there is the good with the bad. The argument at the Hawaiian themed event reminded me of disagreements that I have witnessed over the years at the collegiate level and alumnae level. Real talk.

There was an after show for last night's episode but I quickly lost interest. I'm sure they weren't saying anything important.

I don't think this show paints NPHC sororities (especially Delta) in a negative light. Aside from the legal and policy issues pertaining to using our sororities' official symbols. Other than that, BLAH. This show will lose steam because Real Housewives of ATL is more amusing---despite NeNe's unfunny self--and random sorority women arguing nonstop is just less interesting in the longterm.

@ lemon squeeze...gotta love our Delta mediation traditions.
I just watched the vh1 after show on vh1's website and it was indeed interesting for reasons I didn't expect. You might want to check it out.
Old 01-06-2015, 02:16 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhoyaltempest View Post
I just watched the vh1 after show on vh1's website and it was indeed interesting for reasons I didn't expect. You might want to check it out.
I agree with rhoyaltempest. I was shocked that the host even asked them about fear of losing their letters. I mean, it's the pink elephant in the room that many people have been wondering but, I couldn't believe she asked it. April started crying and I believe she is genuinely in fear of losing her membership. I can't believe people sent these ladies death threats. To be honest, I don't even think the show paints these women in the worst light. Priyanka and Adrene are a bit much and somewhat nasty to other people but, for the most part, I thought everyone acted pretty decent on the show.
Old 01-06-2015, 02:27 PM
Banned

Yes, I know about the death threats. People are dumb.

I also know about the cease and desist letters from the NHQs. We shall see if that matters.

Oh well, I haven't watched The Dialogue (after show) but here is the link: http://www.vh1.com/shows/sorority-si...3377/playlist/
Old 01-06-2015, 02:34 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to DeltaBetaBaby
I watched one episode and thought it was really trying to force the inter-sorority rivalries way too much. The one woman leaving flyers in the other's shop was a shitty thing to do; GLO's have nothing to do with it.
Old 01-09-2015, 06:38 PM
GreekChat Member

The two Alpha Kappa Alpha cast members have been suspended for the time being: http://www.theroot.com/blogs/the_gra..._from_aka.html
Old 01-09-2015, 06:54 PM
Banned

Yes, McRae and Hammond are on the AKA website as "suspended members".
Old 01-09-2015, 07:28 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrPhil View Post
Yes, McRae and Hammond are on the AKA website as "suspended members".
Here's my question, and if it can't be answered for whatever reason that may violate NPHC rules then I understand but, the article said the ladies would be re-instated in 2016. What does that really mean? Does that mean that they are being punished now but, will not actually lose their membership? I also looked up the chapters the ladies belong to, according to the article, and they are alumnae chapters. Does that mean that these ladies initiated into those chapters or are these just the alumnae chapters once they became members? I was really confused by this because, if I read it right and they were initiated elsewhere, then maybe they are being suspended from their alumnae chapters but, they won't necessarily lose their membership in Alpha Kappa Alpha completely. Am I wrong about this?
Old 01-13-2015, 10:27 PM
Super Moderator

VH1 buries rest of ‘Sorority Sisters’ episodes Friday, January 16
http://radiotvtalk.blog.ajc.com/2015...ay-january-16/
Old 01-14-2015, 08:30 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by als463 View Post
Here's my question, and if it can't be answered for whatever reason that may violate NPHC rules then I understand but, the article said the ladies would be re-instated in 2016. What does that really mean?
Actually, it didn't say they'd be reinstated then. There are a range of options that could take place by the end of the suspension timeframe in July/2016. I trust the women of Alpha Kappa Alpha will take care of that through appropriate means and channels.
~ Luke 19:10
Old 01-14-2015, 11:17 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyB06 View Post
Actually, it didn't say they'd be reinstated then. There are a range of options that could take place by the end of the suspension timeframe in July/2016. I trust the women of Alpha Kappa Alpha will take care of that through appropriate means and channels.
Hmmmmm...then maybe I read that somewhere else. That's what confused me the most but, I do agree that I'm sure the ladies of AKA will take care of this.
Old 01-15-2015, 11:40 AM
GreekChat Member

Breaking the Boycott of Sorority Sisters by Me