GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > GLO Specific Forums > Delta > Delta Tau Delta

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,123
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, zsamulpitt5293
» Online Users: 1,094
1 members and 1,093 guests
Sarak24034

Old 01-05-2011, 08:25 AM
GreekChat Member

Legacy Questions

Hey, so I had two quick questions about legacy, and one general question.

1. My Grandpa was a Delta Tau at Penn State, but because my dad went to a military academy, he wasn't exactly the biggest frat bro type, so I was wondering if I would count as a legacy because my grandpa was (and his father before him too).

2. If I were a legacy, would this count at just the university my grandpa went to, or any of my choice?

3. I've heard the more southern schools have frats that are more geared towards southerners and aren't big fans of northerners during rush. I'm from VA, but VA loses a lot of its southern charm the farther north you go, so I was wondering if this would mess up my chances with getting into any frats in he south.

Thanks
Old 01-05-2011, 09:08 AM
GreekChat Member

A Delt will have to answer your specific legacy question (and tell you what advantage, if any, a legacy has during rush), but I'll try to head off another issue:

You'll find that, while some people have no problem at all with the word "frat," others find it very disrespectful and even offensive, as it can carry a stereotypical "Animial House," "frat boy" connotation. You're better off saying "fraternity" instead of "frat."

As for the question about Southerners vs. Northerners, that can vary from campus to campus and chapter to chapter. There are numerous threads about that here. Do a search, look around some, and you might find helpful information.
Old 01-05-2011, 04:08 PM
GreekChat Member

I'll try to answer your questions best I can. You are considered a legacy through your grandfather, and regardless of what school you go to you are still considered a Delt legacy. My great grandfather was also a Delt at Penn State.

I've spent a lot of time in North Carolina where the southern fraternity scene is very strong and I have friends from Virginia who also say the same thing about VA losing its Southern feel the more north you go. I would say if you are going to a southern school and rush they will see your application and see you are from Virginia. Unless this school you rush at is in Virginia or has A LOT of Virginian kids, they likely won't know you come from the "Northern" side. Therefore, being from Virginia shouldn't be a disadvantage.

That being said, as long as you present your self well, you should be fine. This whole northerner rushing in a southern Greek scene is largely over-dramatized and not that big of a deal. Of course there are exceptions such as particular schools and particular chapters.

If you have any other questions or need more specific advice about a school, I can try to help you. You can PM me. Good luck.
Old 01-05-2011, 06:40 PM
GreekChat Member

Thanks eb, that's pretty much the exact answer I was looking for when I ventured on to Greekchat.com. Interesting to hear our great-grandfathers may have been in the same chapter together at some point. You're a gentleman and a scholar.

As for...mysticcat (and all other concerned citizens), I'm deeply sorry for using such an obscene slur and my reckless disregard for the forum's archive in my pursuit of simple knowledge. Hopefully the fraternity I rush never sees this post and labels me as a lazy bigot due to a few erroneous keystrokes.
Old 01-05-2011, 07:24 PM
GreekChat Member

No problem, glad to help. And I wouldn't worry too much about using the word "frat". I don't find it offensive and me and my brothers use it all the time, but I could see where if a rushee was throwing the term around a lot it might cause some eye rolls. I guess the mentality is that you have to earn the right to use the word. Just be polite, professional, and relaxed when interacting with actives and you'll be fine.
Old 01-05-2011, 09:36 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dasboot54 View Post
As for...mysticcat (and all other concerned citizens), I'm deeply sorry for using such an obscene slur and my reckless disregard for the forum's archive in my pursuit of simple knowledge. Hopefully the fraternity I rush never sees this post and labels me as a lazy bigot due to a few erroneous keystrokes.
Don't worry about. I don't find the term offensive. But there have been plenty of people around here who do, so I was trying to head them off.