GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,123
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, zsamulpitt5293
» Online Users: 1,160
2 members and 1,158 guests
PGD-GRAD, Xidelt

Old 08-16-2008, 05:38 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AXiDTrish View Post
AXOAlum, I have a lunch meeting with advisors from UWG chapters tomorrow. I will find out about the pre-events and PM you. Those may be new additions as we always had strict closed contact when I was there.
Aww...thanks so much! I really appreciate the help!
Old 08-16-2008, 05:42 PM
GreekChat Member

I do not believe out of staters have a huge disadvantage. In fact i thinK they can stand out a bit if they are with a great resume, great GPA, and cute. I think the important conponent is the recs.My daughter rushed Bama last year,she was an out of stater and she had the pleasure of cutting.
I know these 18 year olds want to be loved by everyone. Let's face it. It's good to have cuts from both sides. It helps the rushees along the way. I think if they maximize all the options they end up in the right spot.
Old 08-16-2008, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex-A-Bama View Post
I know these 18 year olds want to be loved by everyone. Let's face it. It's good to have cuts from both sides. It helps the rushees along the way. I think if they maximize all the options they end up in the right spot.
You are a very wise mom. Many moms fail to see this. Cuts have to happen. They suck and are very stressful, but it's all part of the process.

Lakers Nation.
Old 08-16-2008, 05:58 PM
GreekChat Member

I don't know that it always feels like the right spot, but it is a spot that wants 'em.
Old 08-16-2008, 06:06 PM
GreekChat Member

UGAMOMof4- I know that it will hit hard if a third round legacy cut comes but start preparing now just in case. My own daughter was cut after 3rd and my roomates daughter was cut after 3rd as well. Here is the good part...while there was a river of tears in both cases and from Both moms and girls, they both accepted bids at other houses and could not be happier. I know that in my roomates case, she was told that they could have taken a whole pledge class just from legacies that year because there were so many. Don't know if that is the case every year. Good luck to her. I'll have my fingers crossed so let us know what happens!!
Old 08-16-2008, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UGAalum94 View Post
I don't know that it always feels like the right spot, but it is a spot that wants 'em.
YES. This is the truth and I wish more PNMs and parents would realize this point. Sure, you may not have a full schedule, but the chapters you have on your schedule are those that WANT TO SEE YOU BACK.

Another thing I think some PNMs at larger southern schools fail to grasp is that (as first semester freshmen) this may very well be their best opportunity to get a bid. So, while they think dropping out and waiting for COB or going through next year is a good idea, it often is not.

Lakers Nation.
Old 08-16-2008, 06:15 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSUViolet06 View Post
YES. This is the truth and I wish more PNMs and parents would realize this point. Sure, you may not have a full schedule, but the chapters you have on your schedule are those that WANT TO SEE YOU BACK.

Another thing I think some PNMs at larger southern schools fail to grasp is that (as first semester freshmen) this may very well be their best opportunity to get a bid. So, while they think dropping out and waiting for COB or going through next year is a good idea, it often is not.
This is certainly the impression that I have.

There may be some rare exceptions, and expansion years are probably some of them, but generally, things don't improve because you dropped out. It's just over, which maybe what they want at that point.
Old 08-16-2008, 06:24 PM
GreekChat Member

I have always viewed this "special week" as the beginning of growing up and seeing how life really is. You have to face fact that life will not always go your way. You have to rally through the bumps and then make choices. You may not like how the bumps hit you, but from there you must make your move.

It is really tough to be turned down from a sorority you may have wished to be a part of. IMO, it really is not a mutual decision. (well, maybe delayed mutual decision if that makes sense) I have always felt the sorority makes the first choice and welcomes the PNM and then the PNM makes her decisions from there. It is difficult as a PNM to face a rejection, but this is how life will be. We all know that.

I agree with UGAalum94 as well, it may not be the right spot (or the spot the PNM really wants), but it is a spot. The PNM then has the choice to decide what to make of it.

A PNM can only be all that they can be (and be themselves) and they must realize much is out of their control.

Last edited by baci; 08-16-2008 at 06:36 PM.
Old 08-16-2008, 06:40 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by baci View Post
I have always viewed this "special week" as the beginning of growing up and seeing how life really is. You have to face fact that life will not always go your way. You have to rally through the bumps and then make choices. You may not like how the bumps hit you, but from there you must make your move.

It is really tough to be turned down from a sorority you may have wished to be a part of. IMO, it really is not a mutual decision. (well, maybe delayed mutual decision if that makes sense) I have always felt the sorority makes the first choice and welcomes the PNM and then the PNM makes her decisions from there. It is difficult as a PNM to face a rejection, but this is how life will be. We all know that.

I agree with UGAalum94 as well, it may not be the right spot (or the spot the PNM really wants), but it is a spot. The PNM then has the choice to decide what to make of it.

A PNM can only be all that they can be (and be themselves) and they must realize much is out of their control.
And so many of the PNMs were pretty big fish at home so it's even harder to find out that your awesomeness isn't enough some places.

Recruitment a great time to start developing the resiliency one needs in life, even if it takes a while to get over the bumps.
Old 08-16-2008, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UGAalum94 View Post
And so many of the PNMs were pretty big fish at home so it's even harder to find out that your awesomeness isn't enough some places.
Very true. So many girls think that the fact that they were valedictorian, Homecoming Queen, a debutante, and Miss Hometown means that chapters are going to be in love with them, they'll have a full slate of parties everyday, and they're guaranteed a bid to their top choice.

What they fail to see is that at their large SEC school, every other girl in their group is also a valedictorian, Homecoming Queen, a deb, and Miss Hometown. When you're just out of HS, you think that all of your accomplishments are unique. They quicky see in recruitment that everyone is just as accomplished as they are, and that's shocking to some.

Lakers Nation.
Old 08-16-2008, 06:58 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSUViolet06 View Post
Very true. So many girls think that the fact that they were valedictorian, Homecoming Queen, a debutante, and Miss Hometown means that chapters are going to be in love with them, they'll have a full slate of parties everyday, and they're guaranteed a bid to their top choice.

What they fail to see is that at their large SEC school, every other girl in their group is also a valedictorian, Homecoming Queen, a deb, and Miss Hometown. When you're just out of HS, you think that all of your accomplishments are unique. They quicky see in recruitment that everyone is just as accomplished as they are, and that's shocking to some.
Well, one girl who was all those things probably would have a pretty good rush unless she had a skank-a-riffic summer, but any one of them alone might not make your rush.

I bet the girls who aren't A students out of high school with a zillion activities are the exception rather than the rule, as you said.
Old 08-16-2008, 07:02 PM
GreekChat Member

UGA recruitment

I am very curious to hear the final numbers for UGA. I have several friends with daughters going through rush, and one was cut out after round 2, with another being cut by the house where she was a triple legacy after round 2. Many of their friends dropped out today after invites to only 1 or 2 parties after round two. These are freshmen. On the other hand two of my daughter's friends are sophomores going through, and they have had full rounds of parties for second and third round - not what I would have expected. My daughter is hearing that quota might be around 63. Seems like an add year at UGA.
Old 08-16-2008, 07:04 PM
GreekChat Member

This will be the longest night!

You are all very wise. It's so easy for the girls to be discouraged. I'll fill you all in when I hear more. Hopefully there are tears of joy.
Old 08-16-2008, 07:05 PM
GreekChat Member

One thing I always like to remind PNM's- each and every one is special. It is very hard in such a quick time period to really get to know them well. That is why so many factors play into decisions. At times, these factors are somewhat superficial and that is just the way it is. As moms, we just have to be strong and help our girls make it through no matter what the outcome. We are their support system and we just have to be there.
Old 08-16-2008, 07:09 PM
GreekChat Member

UGA Numbers

Shadden, that's interesting to hear what you said about girls dropping out. My daughter heard that 200 dropped out after round one. That seemed high to me and was higher than the numbers who dropped out that early last year. Does anyone have any good info on that?