GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,417
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, DemetraMau
» Online Users: 1,247
1 members and 1,246 guests
Cookiez17

Old 07-12-2007, 03:20 PM
GreekChat Member

Location: Peeing on you and telling you it's rain apparently...
At my school, we don't use recs. I could only imagine someone who's dying to get into the most competitive chapter even thinking about it. So naturally, as a Panhellenic we don't have to deal with them.
I most certainly am sorry to hear how poorly you guys feel about college panhellenics. As a current secretary who is in the middle of the pre-recruitment process, I assure you that we are more than capable of being discreet and handle the objectives of our council in an unbiased manner. I deal with names, numbers, and personal info on a regular basis and my only goal is to help these women find the sorority that is best for them. Not to get them to join mine or to be a snoop or to ruin some other chapters. We are on disaffiliation right now and I barely contact my sisters as it is. I'm not disagreeing or agreeing with your positions. But I am going to ask you to have more faith in your campus panhellenics. If you don't have any faith in those who organize and run your recruitment and who are upholding the laws of the NPC, then what the heck is the point of the NPC or the recruitment to begin with. And if you can't trust them, then question the elections/officers!
Old 07-12-2007, 03:30 PM
GreekChat Member

I follow Gamma Phi Beta instructions and send them to the person they list to receive them.
Old 07-12-2007, 03:41 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BabyPiNK_FL View Post
At my school, we don't use recs. I could only imagine someone who's dying to get into the most competitive chapter even thinking about it. So naturally, as a Panhellenic we don't have to deal with them.
I most certainly am sorry to hear how poorly you guys feel about college panhellenics. As a current secretary who is in the middle of the pre-recruitment process, I assure you that we are more than capable of being discreet and handle the objectives of our council in an unbiased manner. I deal with names, numbers, and personal info on a regular basis and my only goal is to help these women find the sorority that is best for them. Not to get them to join mine or to be a snoop or to ruin some other chapters. We are on disaffiliation right now and I barely contact my sisters as it is. I'm not disagreeing or agreeing with your positions. But I am going to ask you to have more faith in your campus panhellenics. If you don't have any faith in those who organize and run your recruitment and who are upholding the laws of the NPC, then what the heck is the point of the NPC or the recruitment to begin with. And if you can't trust them, then question the elections/officers!
The stuff that I was referring to seems to stay the same year in and year out, so while the members of panhellenic change, the issues don't.

I tend to think that it's the greek life staff rather than the panhellenic officers that are responsible for the things I mean. They seem to present information like the want it to be rather than as it actually is.

Some groups must have recommendations to pledge members. It's is possible that your campus doesn't have any of these groups. And it may not be a big thing to have them from hometown alumnae, but you can't really be 100% sure that no GLO is using them. (I know that you know what you are talking about; I'm not second guessing that you don't see them coming through panhellenic or your sorority.)

ETA: I also don't mean that the Greek Life staff or panhellenic does anything intentionally, but if you downplay recs at a campus where they are needed, you are basically messing up the girls who are completely unfamiliar with greek life.

I also know of some cases where the Rho Chis apparently didn't know what they were doing, and/or there was terrible communication in the Greek Life office. One absolutely precious girl got very sick (going to the hospital sick) the day of prefs (she was scheduled to pref three excellent groups). Despite letting her Rho Chi know what was going on and being at a campus with quota additions, they treated her as if she intentionally withdrew. They didn't even attempt to match her or to explain to the GLOs she was scheduled to pref what has happened. (And who can say for sure, but I've heard that some groups have their bid lists done before prefs, so it's likely that especially with quota additions, she should have gotten a bid.)

Last edited by UGAalum94; 07-12-2007 at 03:55 PM.
Old 07-12-2007, 03:48 PM
GreekChat Member

As a former Pan officer and having done office hours in the Pan office... I can tell you there is a lot of human error that takes place.

Back in the day, the applications for recruitment were hard copy... none of this new-fangled online stuff. Panhellenic verfied GPA's and SAT scores before making copies of the applications and passing them on to the chapters.

On the application, PNMs were asked to list any sorority affiliations within their families.

If someone listed she was an ABC legacy, the PX's blacked that part out when distributing it to the rest of the chapters. What happened many times is that ABC would get the wrong copy, and ZYX might get the copy intended for ABC-- hence, ABC was unaware of the PNM having an ABC family member and ZYX was. Useless info for ZYX, potentially useful for ABC.

I don't think there is any intentional malice on the part of the Office of Greek Life, or the Panhellenic Officers, but well... s**t happens.

ETA: Another thing that happens... sometimes the PX's are not taught all of the rules of recruitment. I remember a girl who was late for her first party during Round 1. The PX's should have let her into the party, but they assumed since the party had started that she had to sit out. She was cut from that chapter automatically for being a no-show.
Old 07-12-2007, 03:52 PM

I'm sorry, but there is NWIH I'd send anything regarding my sorority to a "dean of students" (not even a dean of Greek Life or student activities) and expect it to get there or stay private. That has nothing to do with college or alumnae panhellenic, nor did my coments.

I don't think anyone has said that they think Annie Alpha is going to open recs and get secret information, rather that some of the things on that rec form are private. I don't know what other groups' rec forms look like, so if they say there's things on there they don't want nonsisters to see, I believe them.
Old 07-12-2007, 04:36 PM
GreekChat Member

What if by some chance, you were going to No-rec someone? Would you want someone from the Greek Office or Panhellenic to see that? How would you feel if you were Delta Donna and working in the Panhell office, you were sorting mail and happened to see the No-rec for Polly PNM for another group, then she joined your group? I know that's an unlikely situation, but still... I can't imagine something that seems that confidential being sent to a Greek office...
Old 07-12-2007, 05:01 PM
GreekChat Member

Now there's no way to be sure that the envelop wouldn't be opened, but you can send stuff in an internal envelop addressed to the chapter, so unless the Greek Life office or the Dean's Office wanted to deliberately open someone else's mail, no one could actually read the rec.
Old 07-12-2007, 05:09 PM
GreekChat Member

You could sign over the seal of the envelope (either the external one or an internal one) then at least the chapter would know if it had been opened. (Might deter others from opening it)
Old 07-12-2007, 05:12 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drolefille View Post
You could sign over the seal of the envelope (either the external one or an internal one) then at least the chapter would know if it had been opened. (Might deter others from opening it)
Good idea. That's often what colleges tell teachers to do when they want an application sent recs and all together, but don't necessarily want the teacher to feel like the kid has to read the rec.
Old 07-12-2007, 05:29 PM
Super Moderator

the more middle men(women) something has to go thru, the more likely it will get lost, misplaced, destroyed, etc. have your friends send the recs. directly to the appropriate person.
Old 07-12-2007, 05:42 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FSUZeta View Post
the more middle men(women) something has to go thru, the more likely it will get lost, misplaced, destroyed, etc. have your friends send the recs. directly to the appropriate person.
I agree this is the best way.
Even if the school doesn't publicize the contact info, the GLO website will often have chapter contacts.

If for some reason that campus says to send it through the GL office, I might even make a copy to send to the chapter too, just in case.

(I don't think you have to be afraid that GL office will do something intentionally bad or unethical though.)
Old 07-14-2007, 05:51 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BabyPiNK_FL View Post
Whoa, slow down, you're taking this personally. I never said I didn't have faith or trust campus panhellenics. I was pointing out that if one doesn't send their rec to their own sister or chapter, that there is more likely a possibility of someone who is not a member seeing what many of us believe is membership selection, or as someone else said, it getting lost. I know in my office that there is one person who handles mail distribution, and unless it is marked "personal" or "confidential" it is open and sorted before it gets to that person. Maybe there is a non-greek student working in the office because every office is different, the point is, if it isn't sent directly to the org and in care of someone else, there is a potential it won't be private anymore.
Old 07-14-2007, 06:30 PM

Anytime I've written a rec, I've sent it directly to the chapter address listed in our magazine.

I certainly don't think that the Panhellenic staff/officers are incapable of keeping them confidential. It's just that mailing them directly to the chapter reduces the chance that it will be misplaced.

Lakers Nation.
Old 07-15-2007, 05:03 PM
GreekChat Member

I got to thinking, and we have the technology to avoid these issues all together. I remember when I took an online class we used a program called Blackboard/WebCT and there was a feature called "digital dropbox" for turning in assignments. Why not have electronic submissions for forms?

For example, you'd log into your members or sisters only side of your orgs. webpage, and then click on the rec form. You'd be able to fill in the information, select which school or schools to submit it to, and then you'd be done. This way each school could log in and receive their recs, and if an update was needed (say you wrote it in August, and recruitment is in January, you could add more information, or even better for COR events that aren't at set times), it could be reflected as an update. Also a rec could be submitted the day before, and postage and the mail wouldn't be an issue. Obviously there would still be a need for hand written recs, but any personal letters or resumes could be uploaded via MS Word as an attachment, and digital pictures could be attached as well.

Furthermore, having this through the official website with a log in, assures the rec writer is a sister and depending on the group, in good standing. I know on GC it has been mentioned that a legacy rec has been written and the woman wasn't even a member. Having recs filtered through a password system could help with that, and as a rec writer your information could "flood" into the form, thereby saving more time. Lastly, after bid day a member could go into the system and have notice sent to the alumna that "yes she is a new member" or "no, she joined XYZ" which could speed notification as well.
Old 07-15-2007, 07:36 PM
GreekChat Member

I personally think that the idea of sending them electronically is a great idea! (and wonder why it hasn't been thought of sooner...) In addition to the other reasons why it could work well, there would be no doubt that the chapter received it as it would be logged into the system - additional comfort that the recommendation has been received and read for alumnae who take the time to write them. It could also take some of the pressure off the chapter to notify rec writers after recruitment (especially larger schools - I can only imagine how long it takes to write the 800 thank you notes with the results of PNMs...)