GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Recruitment Stories
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Recruitment Stories This is the forum where you should place posts about your Recruitment experiences. General questions about Recruitment should be posted in the main Recruitment forum.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,456
Threads: 115,511
Welcome to our newest member, zatylerahvso465
» Online Users: 2,124
1 members and 2,123 guests
Xidelt

Old 08-15-2003, 11:33 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to crazyocutie
I guess the verdict is in. Everyone loves Dillard's!! Me too! I can usually find things in there that are good quality and good price.

In actual rush news, only 4 more DAYS!!
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 08-15-2003, 05:55 PM
GreekChat Member

I have started to pack up some of my stuff for move in day. I am not taking a lot of stuff. That is because, #1 I have 3 great roomies who are bringing most of the major things. #2, I am moving in a day before we are officially allowed to. They open up the dorms a day early for the girls who rush. That means that I will have to carry my stuff up the stairs by myself. AH!! I really am not looking forward to it. Last year, I had a mini breakdown on move-out day. I had to put a pretty good sized FRIDGE in my car. Yea.. not fun at all. Especially in the heat. This year though, we already have a fridge in the dorm. YAY! We have more of an on-campus apartment. Very nice. Anyway, I am drifting a little here, but the point is, I have to carry things like my computer and tv to the third floor. No elevators. YUCK! So that should be loads of fun. Then right after that I we have the greek forum. That is exciting!! I am getting excited for all the girls who have rush right now! It is so exciting!
Old 08-16-2003, 01:21 AM
GreekChat Member

I can't sleep. Stinks. So I am now reading old rush threads to get myself even more excited then I already am.
Old 08-16-2003, 09:43 AM
GreekChat Member

two words for you at move-in...
comfortable shoes.
seriously...have a blast and enjoy the ride.
Old 08-16-2003, 12:51 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by mmcat
two words for you at move-in...
comfortable shoes.
seriously...have a blast and enjoy the ride.
I am definitely planning comfy shoes. I actually have that whole outfit planned out as well. So sad, but hey, I am bored. It should be ok. One of my roomies might stop by to help me since she lives in Orlando. That would be a big relief.
Old 08-16-2003, 02:00 PM
GreekChat Member

Yay Orlando! Go UCF Knights! Good luck with recruitment-- the UCF Greek System is, in my "unbiased" opinion, one of the best!!!

I PM'd you
Old 08-16-2003, 02:47 PM

Send a message via AIM to Jill1228
Dillard's rocks! I got my makeup done for my wedding at the MAC counter at the Dillards in Vegas

Good luck crazyocutie

Quote:
Originally posted by beachgal118
Dillards is great. I never begin my shopping trips at Dillards, but I ALWAYS manage to wind up there...usually buying way too much
Old 08-16-2003, 06:28 PM
GreekChat Member

Yay! I PM'd you back. I really can't wait to start.

I PM'd you
Quote:
Yay Orlando! Go UCF Knights! Good luck with recruitment-- the UCF Greek System is, in my "unbiased" opinion, one of the best!!!
Old 08-16-2003, 07:05 PM
GreekChat Member

clothes for UCF recruitment -- tips from a UCF alum

We've gone more and more casual over the years... so here is the scoop:

Note: Always look cute and fresh

Greek Forum: Comfortable. Khaki shorts with matching sandals/belt and cute colored top are perfect. At this event, you will receive your registration packet, including a Recruitment T-Shirt to wear to Bid-Day (Which you will change out of to change into your first LETTER shirt!!!!). At Forum, you will meet Panhellenic Council and the Recruitment Team, including your Recruitment Counselor and PNM group. The Counselor's will put on a fashion show of "what to wear" and answer questions. In years past, this is held at the UCF Arena. From what I am reading, it looks like you are living in Lake Claire. (I lived there, too! Or are you at Knights Krossing; is it still called that-- if it is the latter, car pool by all means!) My advice-- you're so close--- walk to Forum (if you have any buddies going through, get ready at your place and walk together). They don't call UCF "Under Construction Forever" for no reason, and parking at the Arena and the dirt lot will be a nightmare b/c there will be about 1000 PNM's there. (give or take a couple hundred). This is just a Q&A session event, so relax! This is a chance to make some friends among the PNMs and your Counselor will probably have a welcome gift for you!

Round 1 (UCF Spirit Day-- all of the chapters will be wearing UCF stuff and showing off their school spirit and campus participation): You're encouraged to wear denim or khaki the first two days of recruitment at UCF. I encourage you to leave the denim for Bid Day, and wear khaki. Heck, scratch that. If you have a cute linen dress, wear that. Bring blotting papers and don't go crazy on your make-up b/c it's going to be a scorcher! Wear something casual but classy that makes you stand out among the scores of PNM's who are wearing khaki or denim shorts. Each chapter will be serving water. Drink up! In years past, the Kappa Sig house has been a "break house" with refreshments. Your PX will hold your purse, make-up, etc. You can't bring anything into the house but you, your name tag and an index card you will hand over at each party to the first girl who rushes you!

Round 2 (Philanthropy Day: each sorority will have some kind of easy craft project ranging from stringing together "Wish Bracelets" for sick children to painting flower pots for the elderly. A little messy, but doing a craft together can take your nervousness away b/c you and the sister are working together on something!): Ok, at the Forum Fashion Show, the Counselors are probably going to come out wearing denim and overalls. Again, dare to be different! Maybe on this day you can wear some cool, light-colored slacks (as in will keep you cool and not sweating buckets-- yay for the fact that all of Greek Park have air conditioned houses!) Why not wear overalls? B/c you want to stand out from everyone else and look classy and put together! At some point, someone is going to get paint on themselves, just relax if that person is you!

Round 3 (Video Day: A themed video yearbook, there may be some sisters singing here): UCF doesn't do themed skits anymore. Each chapter does a themed video so you can get a good look at their yearly calendar and activities, accomplishments. This is a little dressier. Wear a cool (again, think weather not "hey, I'm hip!") dress or skirt with a colored top (why color-- you want to stand out and be remembered from the khaki brigade!) or even nice slacks and top. This is a later-in-the day event.

Prefs (The dressiest of them all, almost every chapter will be wearing a dark color). This is a great chance for you, again, to wear a colored dress. The sisters are going to be way more formal than you need to be. A dress you would wear to a graduation or a house of worship is suitable. You may want to bring a coordinating cardigan or wrap, as the houses are chilly inside, and this event is mid-afternoon. Expect to be overwhelmed with emotion, you may shed a few tears at these events, but it's totally ok. And if you don't cry, that's ok, too! You'll probably get a short break between prefs and bid card signing, so you can go home and change if you want to (this is the time to bust out your denim when you come back to sign your card in the Student Union. Recruitment Counselors will be there to give you advice, act as a sounding board, etc)

Bid Day! Wahoo!!!! (Make sure you leave your cell phone on, just in case there are any last minute changes because your recruitment counselor will need to call you and tell you early in the morning!) You can wear denim or khaki shorts, or denim/khaki pants or skirts to this day, and any shirt you want, like the recruitment t-shirt you got with your recruitment registration at greek forum. In years past, we've met at the education bldg to open bids, and then you join all the new members by chapter in the gym of that building to final speeches and thank yous from Panhellenic Council and Recruitment Counselor Revelation (you get to find out what sororities they all belong to! At UCF, disaffiliation is VERY strict and these women haven't worn letters for 4 months and have had "strict silence" for the entire recruitment week where they have NO communication with their chapters or any of the other sororities where they have friends-- it's so hard and they are SOOO happy to be going home after being sequestered off campus all week in a hotel!) Anyway, the Recruitment Counselors will lead all the new members home, and the sororities are released from the gym in alphabetical order. You don't HAVE to run, but the majority will be Your sisters will be waiting for you on the lawn outside the house with favors and huge smiles! (I am embarrassed to admit that I was huffing and puffing on the run back after I was a recruitment counselor-- and we're one of the first houses on the row! The Florida sun proved to be a little too much for me!) If the Pikes are outside on their lawn during the run, ignore them (or smile and wave!) They just want to check all the cute new members out! LOL.

Good luck! You counselors may get a little sadistic during the week and start asking you, "What sorority do you think I'm in?" It's ok to guess, and they're going to have way too much fun with it. It's caused by lack of sleep, food and singing all of the sorority songs (and 4 years later, I still remember them ALLLLLLLL!!!!!!)

***A note about parking if you DO need to drive--- unless you have a Lake Claire decal, do not park at Lake Claire-- the UCFPD does allow a certain amount of grace period, but don't risk it. Park in the lot by the VAB. Make sure you've bought your parking pass for the semester/year, and if you can't get to it, you can get buy day parking in the lot by Millican/Admin Bldg). Also, Greek Park will be closed to cars during recruitment parties (this doesn't include the side-street where Sigma Chi, ATO and Sig Ep are), so make sure that wherever you park, you aren't barricaded in.

I am writing a novel today; sheesh this is long!

Last edited by adpiucf; 08-17-2003 at 03:30 AM.
Old 08-16-2003, 10:23 PM

Re: clothes for UCF recruitment -- tips from a UCF alum

Quote:
Originally posted by adpiucf
I believe ZTA is still wearing white dresses with teal sashes,
The UCF Zeta's wear black dresses.
Old 08-16-2003, 10:59 PM
GreekChat Member

Re: clothes for UCF recruitment -- tips from a UCF alum

Quote:
Originally posted by adpiucf
We've gone more and more casual over the years... so here is the scoop:

Note: Always look cute and fresh
I just want to thank you for being so thorough with me. That really helps a lot. I will be living in Lake Claire. That is a big step up from the dorms, which I was in last year. I love that I get my own bedroom. You have just made me 100 x's more excited by posting that. . I have a question that maybe you will be able to answer. When I filled out my application, I didn't know what my local phone number would be, I am assuming that I will have to fill out something along the way so that I could be contacted, right? Again, thank you soo much for all the help!!
Old 08-16-2003, 11:03 PM
GreekChat Member

Re: Re: clothes for UCF recruitment -- tips from a UCF alum

Quote:
Originally posted by crazyocutie
I just want to thank you for being so thorough with me. That really helps a lot. I will be living in Lake Claire. That is a big step up from the dorms, which I was in last year. I love that I get my own bedroom. You have just made me 100 x's more excited by posting that. . I have a question that maybe you will be able to answer. When I filled out my application, I didn't know what my local phone number would be, I am assuming that I will have to fill out something along the way so that I could be contacted, right? Again, thank you soo much for all the help!!

i was just at those apartments last weekend! i love the ucf campus. it is so gorgeous!
Old 08-16-2003, 11:24 PM
GreekChat Member

Really?? It is gorgeous up there, and so easy to get around campus. One reason why I absolutely love it up there. I am very glad that I got those apartments... I actually get a KITCHEN this year. Yay to no microwaved meals!!
Old 08-17-2003, 02:20 AM
GreekChat Member

Re: Re: clothes for UCF recruitment -- tips from a UCF alum

Quote:
Originally posted by crazyocutie
You're wecome! Oh Lake Claire... that brings back SUCH memories

To give them your phone number, you can do two things
1) Call the office of Greek Affairs (phone number is on the web site)
2) At Greek Forum, you will meet with your Recruitment Counselor, and you can give her your local number then. I recommend you do this anyway, just to be 100% certain she has it.
To our UCF ZTA sister-- thanks for correcting me about the dresses at your chapter. I am quite old-school, and I appreciate your input

Have a great day!
Old 08-17-2003, 09:53 AM
GreekChat Member

Thank you for answering all of my questions. It is really helpful, and just makes me more excited!
I want to say good luck to everyone that is going through recruitment right now. I am living it through you before I go through it myself. Hehe .