GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,456
Threads: 115,511
Welcome to our newest member, zatylerahvso465
» Online Users: 1,585
1 members and 1,584 guests
FSUZeta

Old 05-14-2012, 04:34 PM
GreekChat Member

University of Alabama Rush/Sororities

I'm attending UA next year and rushing. I'm definitely going in with an open mind but theres something I've been hearing a lot about and I'm curious to what it means. I've been told that the only way to go is "old row" sororities. Can someone tell me which ones are old row and why people consider them better?

Thanks
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 05-14-2012, 04:45 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rolltide10 View Post
I'm attending UA next year and rushing. I'm definitely going in with an open mind but theres something I've been hearing a lot about and I'm curious to what it means. I've been told that the only way to go is "old row" sororities. Can someone tell me which ones are old row and why people consider them better?

Thanks
We don't talk about reputations or perceptions on campus here.
Old 05-14-2012, 06:43 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:

Thanks
LOL If you have to ask . . . . . . . . . .
Old 05-14-2012, 07:23 PM
GreekChat Member

2 seconds with google or greekchat search will help you out. I'm not into spoon feeding people though.
Old 05-14-2012, 09:34 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:

Thanks
Everyone knows that Pi Delta Pi is the best sorority.
Old 05-15-2012, 11:15 AM
GreekChat Member

The Machine
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Machine

http://cw.ua.edu/2011/11/17/greek-dues-support-machine/

Old Row
http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums...t=32105&page=5
Old 05-15-2012, 03:14 PM
GreekChat Member

I've actually googled it and can't find anything. Didn't realize it was such a hassle to type out a few sororities.
Old 05-15-2012, 03:15 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old_Row View Post
LOL If you have to ask . . . . . . . . . .
yes I do need to ask considering I'm from out of state and UK old row is different than UA old row.....
Old 05-15-2012, 03:52 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
I've actually googled it and can't find anything. Didn't realize it was such a hassle to type out a few sororities.
As said before, reputations are not discussed on GreekChat
Old 05-15-2012, 04:21 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
yes I do need to ask considering I'm from out of state and UK old row is different than UA old row.....
gratuitous Go Cats!
Old 05-15-2012, 04:53 PM

Quote:
I don't think you're fully understanding why we're not telling you.

It's not because we're too lazy to type it out.

Why don't we discuss it? Because it perpetuates PNMs going into recruitment without open minds looking at chapters that (if we're being honest) even if they KNEW who they were, it wouldn't matter because they probs aren't getting invited back there.

Said "Old Row" groups are such that they have enough legacies in recruitment to fill an entire class. In addition, these chapter members all have friends from camp, HS, etc. that they would like to see invited back. Invites are limited.

Disclaimer: not saying this is what you think, using a hypothetical you here, so don't get offended. Just trying to help you understand where we're coming from.

So let's say we tell you who is considered Old Row and you go into recruitment thinking "I only want these." That hurts you in the long run. Why? Because the women who are going to get invites from these Old Row groups likely aren't the ones who have to come here and ask which they are. They have relationships with members already.

Said Old Row groups tend to have members who know PNMs from other activities whom they know already that they would like to have, leaving few invites for the women who are like "OMG I WANNA BE OLD ROW BECAUSE THEY'RE SUPPOSEDLY THE BEST AND THAT'S WHAT I LIKE, DESERVE BUT DON'T KNOW ANYONE IN THOSE GROUPS!"

So, we tell you who's Old Row, you know who they are, and you've decided that it's all you want. All while they already have a good third of who they want already figured out before you set foot in school (not because they are horrible people, but because they have friends from camp, legacies, high school and hometown friends that they know and love, and there are limited invites.)

Meanwhile, you're missing out on the other awesome groups at UA while you're gunning for the "best" and you don't even realize what you're missing out on because you have Old Row blinders on.

So all of that to say, that's why we don't talk about it. Keep an open mind to everyone and you'll be more likely to find the best chapter for YOU, which isn't always what everyone else considers "best." Recruitment is not a competitive sport.

Good luck and I personally hope you have a great recruitment!

Lakers Nation.

Last edited by KSUViolet06; 05-15-2012 at 08:10 PM.
Old 05-15-2012, 06:01 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSUViolet06 View Post
I don't think you're fully understanding why we're not telling you.

It's not because we're too lazy to type it out.

Why don't we discuss it? Because it perpetuates PNMs going into recruitment without open minds looking at chapters that (if we're being honest) if they KNEW who they were, it wouldn't matter because they probs aren't getting invited back there.

Said "Old Row" groups are such that they have enough legacies in recruitment to fill an entire class. In addition, these chapter members all have friends from camp, HS, etc. that they would like to see invited back. Invites are limited.

Disclaimer: not saying this is what you think, using a hypothetical you here, so don't get offended. Just trying to help you understand where we're coming from.

So let's say we tell you who is considered Old Row and you go into recruitment thinking "I only want these." That hurts you in the long run. Why? Because the women who are going to get invites from these Old Row groups likely aren't the ones who have to come here and ask which they are. They have relationships with members already.

Said Old Row groups tend to have members who know PNMs from other activities whom they know already that they would like to have, leaving few invites for the women who are like "OMG I WANNA BE OLD ROW BECAUSE THEY'RE SUPPOSEDLY THE BEST AND THAT'S WHAT I LIKE, DESERVE BUT DON'T KNOW ANYONE IN THOSE GROUPS!"

So, we tell you who's Old Row, you know who they are, and you've decided that it's all you want. All while they already have a good third of who they want already figured out before you set foot in school (not because they are horrible people, but because they have friends from camp, legacies, high school and hometown friends that they know and love, and there are limited invites.)

Meanwhile, you're missing out on the other awesome groups at UA while you're gunning for the "best" and you don't even realize what you're missing out on because you have Old Row blinders on.

So all of that to say, that's why we don't talk about it. Keep an open mind to everyone and you'll be more likely to find the best chapter for YOU, which isn't always what everyone else considers "best." Recruitment is not a competitive sport.

Good luck and I personally hope you have a great recruitment!

You are pretty smart for a Yankee.
Old 05-15-2012, 07:18 PM

Haha. I try. My extended family is from Jasper. I get a little bit of Southern cred from that, right?

Lakers Nation.
Old 05-15-2012, 08:24 PM
GreekChat Member

And DON'T mistake Old Row for being the best. I'm sure they are full of lovely gals, but all of the chapters there are bursting at the seams so to assume there are 4 or 5 that are the only good ones is REALLY not being realistic. As we say here frequently, the only best is the best one for you.

I frankly think you are in a better position to make the right decision for yourself exactly because you don't know all the 100 year old baggage. If you can manage to shield yourself from all the gossip and rumor you will be miles ahead of the girl who thinks she has to "settle" for a great group of gals who will provide her all the opportunity, love and support that the higher prestige chapters can offer. Do yourself a favor and DON'T go searching for more information on this subject.
Old 05-15-2012, 09:07 PM
GreekChat Member

I've never been that fussed about my GLO's reputation (however that may be because I've never had to deal with hurtful things said about it) but if I had a choice at Bama, I'd totally want to pref DG. And I'm sure all chapters at Bama have wonderful girls, but how many are going to have that AMAZING new house???