GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,122
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, haledarkz870
» Online Users: 1,605
0 members and 1,605 guests
No Members online

Old 11-03-2009, 01:48 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OHNOITSJESS View Post
when i pledged a national non-"major council" sorority my freshman year, it was like hell. we had tests everyone had to get 100% on or everyone had to retake it. it completely sucked when i had to do the founders names (think crazy long and hard to spell last names, and even first names in some cases) and we had cultural projects weekly that if one memeber didn't contribute to, an extra project would be added for everyone....

needless to say i dropped halfway through (not before my GPA dropped)
So Tu Quyhn Tran was easy to memorize for you?

LET'S GO BIG RED!
Let me teach you how to Bucky!
Old 11-03-2009, 02:30 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OPhiAGinger View Post
I am baffled by the NPC sororities' designation of every new recruit as a new member, starting with the day they accept their bid!

They're considered "new members", which is the more PC term for pledges. I believe for all NPC groups, new members have to complete a period of education and meet certain requirements before they can become "initiated sisters" and enjoy full membership status.
Old 11-03-2009, 08:19 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smile_Awhile View Post
Alpha Chi does have a initiation exam that is required to be passed for initiation. I believe passing is 75%. Every year, each and every sister in the chapter takes it- whether initiated or uninitiated. There are a unlimited number of retakes allowed, and I've yet to hear of anyone who hasn't been initiated on time because of it. The test is standardized nationally.
This is what ADPi does as well, though we have to get an 85% to pass.
Old 11-03-2009, 08:24 AM
GreekChat Member

ADPi has a standardized Inatl exam. Every NM must take it and pass in order to be initiated. Those who do not can retake it. Should anyone not pass the worst that would happen is her initiation is delayed until she does pass. (No member wants to be initiated alone.)

ADPi also believes that hazing is considered to be any task that is asked of one group that is not asked of everyone. Plus we believe that knowing/remembering our history, policies, etc. is important. Therefore every active member must also take the exam and pass in order to be eligible to vote in officer elections. A member can retake it, but if she fails again and time has run out she simply cannot vote. (Elections are so important that no member wants to be ineligible.)

ETA: In my nearly 14 years of advising a large Chapter I've never seen a NM's initiation delayed or a member not be eligible to vote. While there may be failures the first time around, everyone has passed in time.

Last edited by Zillini; 11-03-2009 at 08:28 AM.
Old 11-03-2009, 08:48 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DartmouthPanhel View Post
They're considered "new members", which is the more PC term for pledges. I believe for all NPC groups, new members have to complete a period of education and meet certain requirements before they can become "initiated sisters" and enjoy full membership status.
This comes up on GC periodically. We have had members of some NPC sororities tell us that in their particular sororities, the only difference between new members and initiated members is that new members are not privy to ritual information, but that in all other aspects -- including the right to vote in chapter and to hold office -- no distinction is made between new members and initiated members.
Old 11-03-2009, 09:36 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aephi alum View Post
What are the consequences if an AOII sister fails the exam? Presumably, the consequence of failing the exam for a new member is that you don't get initiated until you retake and pass...?

Sisters DON'T fail it Really, for initiated sisters, it's not that hard. If you attend chapter every week, then you know everything on the written part (unless the test has changed in 13 years). I remember part of it being an oral exam and if you had trouble memorizing it, you went to another room, practiced and then said it to the RC member as fast as you could.

And to this day, I know that our old headquarters were on Overlook Blvd in Brentwood TN. I was actually annoyed when the new HQ was built, since it was a new address!

So I depart that I may now better serve my fellow man, my country & God
Old 11-03-2009, 10:56 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by CutiePie2000 View Post
This kind of surprises me......

Has a failed test never come up before? It kind of surprises me that they are "trying to figure out" what to do, when they should have had a plan in place already, in the event that someone is not successful in passing the test.
Quote:
Originally Posted by stargazertechie View Post
My GPA is right around where yours is and I was extended a bid as a 4th year student who will most likely be finishing either this spring or next fall. My school isn't highly competitive, but I had a few more strikes against me as well (I was a repeat re-rusher... 4th time's the charm)
The OP was given a bid as a senior and is set to graduate in the spring (possibly next fall) according to a previous post. Maybe it's possible that her chapter won't have another initiation before she graduates so that could be something they hadn't dealt with before. Just another reason not to bid 4th year students. I'm still boggled that someone who thought sorority life was so important to her that she rushed four times before she got a bid could possible flunk her test. Sick or not, I would have thought she would have studied and mastered the material long before the test since membership was so important to her.
Old 11-03-2009, 11:00 AM
GreekChat Member

Oops! upside your head!
Old 11-03-2009, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbie's_Rush View Post
The OP was given a bid as a senior and is set to graduate in the spring (possibly next fall) according to a previous post. Maybe it's possible that her chapter won't have another initiation before she graduates so that could be something they hadn't dealt with before. Just another reason not to bid 4th year students. I'm still boggled that someone who thought sorority life was so important to her that she rushed four times before she got a bid could possible flunk her test. Sick or not, I would have thought she would have studied and mastered the material long before the test since membership was so important to her.
Oh snap.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senusret I View Post
And you are killing me, lol.

Lakers Nation.
Old 11-03-2009, 01:02 PM
GreekChat Member

Blast from the past:

When I took my new member test it had to be 100% correct for EACH ONE of us. We, as a pledge class, sat in the dining room writing and writing. The first two times many of us scored near perfect...but not 100%. And then there were a few who just didn't do so well.

A few of us got together and talked. We had to do EVERYTHING together that week: go to the bathroom, eat, sleep (yes, nowadays it would probably be hazing). So, we decided to write ONE test....together. Our pledge mother smiled...We got it!

We did one test, perfectly, and were initiated the next day. Sisters helping sisters.
Old 11-03-2009, 01:04 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellebud View Post
Blast from the past:

When I took my new member test it had to be 100% correct for EACH ONE of us. We, as a pledge class, sat in the dining room writing and writing. The first two times many of us scored near perfect...but not 100%. And then there were a few who just didn't do so well.

A few of us got together and talked. We had to do EVERYTHING together that week: go to the bathroom, eat, sleep (yes, nowadays it would probably be hazing). So, we decided to write ONE test....together. Our pledge mother smiled...We got it!

We did one test, perfectly, and were initiated the next day. Sisters helping sisters.
YESSSSSSSS!

Who is the weakest link?

NONE OF US.
Old 11-03-2009, 01:06 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aephi alum View Post
And this is why I loathed history. I was forced to memorize and recite whole lists of dates and names. B O R I N G. Math, on the other hand, makes sense. Whether the Declaration of Independence had been signed in 1776, in 1976, or not at all, two plus two would still equal four. History got a lot more interesting once I started tenth grade and history focused on the motivations behind people's actions, rather than rote memorization and recitation.
Me too! I've never been a fan of rote memorization for the sake of one test, then forgetting it all. I learn best with context... the only reason I know when the Civil War was is because it had a direct impact on Kappa's founding. I was asked the question once in college in a non-history class and literally I had to think "okay, Kappa was founded in 1870 right after the Civil War, which means B is the correct answer"
Old 11-03-2009, 01:08 PM
Banned

Quote:
YESSSSSSSS!

Who is the weakest link?

NONE OF US.

sniff sniff

That smells like pledging and we no like no stinkin pledgin!!!!
Old 11-03-2009, 01:14 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrPhil View Post
sniff sniff

That smells like pledging and we no like no stinkin pledgin!!!!
But I loves me an NPC chick that goes hard!
Old 11-03-2009, 02:36 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
But I loves me an NPC chick that goes hard!
LMAO ... I bet you do