GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,143
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, liscahvs8263
» Online Users: 1,462
0 members and 1,462 guests
No Members online

Old 08-07-2012, 08:01 PM
GreekChat Member

Frat life at UMASS?

Hello,

Ill be a freshman at Umass amherst this fall and I am really interested in rushing. I don't know a ton about the frat life at umass but I do know that its not very large. Only about 7-10 percent of students are a part of greek life.

Is pledging/hazing bad at umass? Im all for light hazing (cleaning up parties, bartending, etc.) but I am nervous that Ill be faced with some more serious hazing. I am told that AEPi, ZBT and Pike haze at umass, but to what extent?

What tips/advice/knowledge do any of you have with the frat life at umass?

Thanks
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 08-07-2012, 08:30 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by questions321 View Post
Hello,

Ill be a freshman at Umass amherst this fall and I am really interested in rushing. I don't know a ton about the frat life at umass but I do know that its not very large. Only about 7-10 percent of students are a part of greek life.

Is pledging/hazing bad at umass? Im all for light hazing (cleaning up parties, bartending, etc.) but I am nervous that Ill be faced with some more serious hazing. I am told that AEPi, ZBT and Pike haze at umass, but to what extent?

Thanks
Use "fraternity" and not "frat."

I do not know whether you will get much response about hazing at UMASS but you are free to research that yourself via the Internet and perhaps other sources. Since you have not even started your first year of college, you may want to withhold your willingness for what you consider "light hazing" for the time being. Things are not always what they seem and people who seem excited or eager about such things can annoy some members of (sororities and) fraternities. It can be considered "trying too hard" or even a power play as you convey to the fraternity members that you are doing them a favor by even being willing to "be hazed." This is a good time to learn how to silently observe so you can gauge what you are getting yourself into.

Good luck finding information on GC or elsewhere and remember that you are now a college student, first and foremost.

/Lane swerve because incoming college students warm my heart

Last edited by DrPhil; 08-07-2012 at 08:35 PM.
Old 08-07-2012, 09:44 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by questions321 View Post
Hello,

Thanks
I know some people that go to UMass-Amherst who are involved in Greek Life (in both Fraternities and Sororities). As you mentioned, it doesn't play a big role in the whole campus scene/atmosphere, I guess you could say. From what I've heard from them, they absolutely loved the fact that they decided to rush, and they've made a lot of good friends. For a school that doesn't have the most competitive Greek Life, there are apparently a lot of events and formals that are put together on behalf of the Fraternities and Sororities there. Also, at UMass, it's quite common to refer to Fraternities as "Frats", and people don't get bent out of shape about it. As for hazing, I really don't know. As Dr. Phil said, you could probably get some information if you did some research. If you know anyone who goes there, you could ask them about their experience in the Greek Life there.

Last edited by wareagle93; 08-07-2012 at 09:49 PM.
Old 08-07-2012, 10:22 PM
Banned

Pardon my incorrect lane swerve.
Old 08-07-2012, 10:22 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to sigmagirl2000
I was there about 10 years ago and I'm sure a ton has changed. I'm glad I got involved. If you have any specific questions, PM me. I might be able to help or point you in the right direction.

::: waiting for someone to post in Irishpipes 2013-2014 chapter listing thread that quota was .25 ::: - ASTalumna06